IGNORED

Everton must insist that Lille be thrown out of the competition

Guest John Burns

Guest John Burns

Everton must insist that Lille be thrown out of the competition after the Lille police failed to project Everton fans from Lille thugs. Later the Lille police unprovoked, indiscriminately attacked Everton fans, even firing tear gas at young children. This is totally unacceptable in so-called civilized Europe.

If EUFA do not ban Lille, Everton must pull out of the competition immediately.

Edited by John Burns

Guest John Burns

Club's who enter European competitions ensure that the security is proper for visiting teams and fans. In Lille it was not. Lille must be ejected from UEFA's completion ASAP as security cannot be guaranteed in this small city.

UEFA is more concerned about racist chants against black players than violence against children. EFC must demand EUFA ban Lille and give a time limit for their response. If no response EFC must pull out of this competition. Everton are one of the oldest football clubs in the world and not once have visiting teams or supporters been abused in over a century in any manner whatsoever. Everton must take the high moral ground. Enough is enough.

Edited by John Burns

Club's who enter European competitions ensure that the security is proper for visiting teams and fans. In Lille it was not. Lille must be ejected from EUFA's completion ASAP as security cannot be guaranteed in this small city.

EUFA is more concerned about racist chants against black players than violence against children. EFC must demand EUFA ban Lille and give a time limit for their response. If no response EFC must pull out of this competition. Everton are one of the oldest football clubs in the world and not once have visiting teams or supporters been abused in over a century in any manner whatsoever. Everton must take the high moral ground. Enough is enough.

Do you mean UEFA? Sleep it off John you'll have a hangover in the morning.

Oh god. Here we go....

The problem is that within the groups of Evertonians, you can see on the videos the odd one or 2 throwing bottles/cans, setting off flares etc. Rather than our club pull out or Lille get banned, both of which will not happen, get rid of these few. Because it could have been a lot worse.

Not that it excuses what the police did or what happened the night before.

But I guess it just happens sometimes?

No they didnt.

A car of masked lads turned up at Grand Plaise, threw a flair or two into the Everton fans, our lot retaliated by throwing bottles at the car. Police stepped in, fired some CS gas in to stop them and pulled all the perps away to outside the Lille Operahouse where they were questioned and one was arrested.

The night before was worse, one of the bars near us had the bouncers lock the fans inside, for their own saftey, after they spotted a well know group of Lille troublemakers making headway for them. Those who couldnt get in were attacked but they retaliated and the police ended up smacking the lot of them about, more so the lille fans.

personally, I felt the police pressence was standoffish and their attitide in general was pretty pleasing. When trouble started, they got the right perps in the end and it was silenced quickly. Didnt feel intimidating or unessecary.

Guest John Burns

Oh god. Here we go....

The problem is that within the groups of Evertonians, you can see on the videos the odd one or 2 throwing bottles/cans, setting off flares etc. Rather than our club pull out or Lille get banned, both of which will not happen, get rid of these few. Because it could have been a lot worse.

Not that it excuses what the police did or what happened the night before.

But I guess it just happens sometimes?

You should not make things up.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dU4NVrqFLEo

Guess I made this up? Please don't say I made something up when it was on every news channel last night.

Just to reiterate my original comments. I'm only saying that rather than exclude Lille or Everton pull out, get rid of the few idiots (there will always be some) instead. That applies to both sides.

It's a shame this goes off. But it's a minority and I don't think the minority should be able to ruin things for the rest.

There was no need to the tear gas and the thunder flashes , that was over the top , I got a blast of gas full in the face and it wasn't nice believe me , I didn't see the masked gang pull up in the car in all honesty , I did see a couple of young lads giving a couple of lille fans a bit of stick but that's all it was , next thing they got batoned by the police and a few more fans reacted to that by throwing a few cans an bottles , that's when the tear gas and baton rounds came out , everyone was having a great time as well but the sad thing was the police did not judge the good humoured atmosphere and had no thought for women and children alike as well as the bars owners and there very friendly staff mainly female , I just think it was a massive over reaction by the police who I think they knew they had been over the top and retreated as quick as they came but we still had the odd couple of lads who were out of order throwing stuff but all clubs have that element so everton shouldn't be criticised too much 99% of our fans behaved well and had a laugh with the locals it's just a pity it had happen

Guest millwallforever

You are confusing two wholly separate entities:

A. Football club

B. Executive power

You cannot hold Lille Football Club responsible for any shortcomings on the part of the executive branch of the French state. If you think that Lille as a football club is guilty of any wrongdoing, then that is what you should be concentrating on and leave the French police out of your equation.

Regardless of how we look at it, your case is a very weak one. And your suggestion that we pull out of the competition if our demands are not met is quite frankly ridiculous.

Everton must insist that Lille be thrown out of the competition after the Lille police failed to project Everton fans from Lille thugs. Later the Lille police unprovoked, indiscriminately attacked Everton fans, even firing tear gas at young children. This is totally unacceptable in so-called civilized Europe.

If EUFA do not ban Lille, Everton must pull out of the competition immediately.

Edited by millwallforever

Guest John Burns

You are confusing two wholly separate entities:

A. Football club

B. Executive power

You cannot hold Lille Football Club responsible for any shortcomings on the part of the executive branch of the French state. If you think that Lille as a football club is guilty of any wrongdoing, then that is what you should be concentrating on and leave the French police out of your equation.

Regardless of how we look at it, your case is a very weak one. And your suggestion that we pull out of the competition if our demands are not met is quite frankly ridiculous.

If security of fans cannot be guaranteed by the club inside or outside the stadium then this city should not hold UEFA matches. If they want to play their games in another city then so be it. The club needs a ban for a years or two to remind their policemen that they cannot indiscriminately attack children. Then after that playing their matches in a different city at least 200 miles away.

If security of fans cannot be guaranteed by the club inside or outside the stadium then this city should not hold UEFA matches. If they want to play their games in another city then so be it. The club needs a ban for a years or two to remind their policemen that they cannot indiscriminately attack children. Then after that playing their matches in a different city at least 200 miles away.

So if Lille fans come to Liverpool next week and get twatted by Merseyside constablulary's finest in the center of the city that would be Everton's fault would it?

To be fair clubs are always held accountable for the behaviour of their fans, it's pretty standard practice and Johns point that they should shoulder responsibility is correct.

On the other hand it does seem to be exaggerated and Ten was there to witness it, so I think any ban would be over the top. A small fine agreed.

To be fair clubs are always held accountable for the behaviour of their fans, it's pretty standard practice and Johns point that they should shoulder responsibility is correct.

On the other hand it does seem to be exaggerated and Ten was there to witness it, so I think any ban would be over the top. A small fine agreed.

He's not talking about the behaviour of Lille's fans, he's talking about the behaviour of the police :huh:.

I was in the Aussie bar on Wednesday night having a good night watching the RS lose and singing away when suddenly chairs started being thrown at the windows outside. I kept out of trouble but I think the police came quickly and fired tear gas to clear the protagonists, who were apparently local Lille hooligans. A few Evertonians came back into the bar bloodied and I don't know whether they went looking to confront the thugs or were just outside when they arrived. So the scene was set...the police were in heavy presence from the start and were clearly nervous. When we arrived at the station they asked us where we were staying and were we expecting more people to stay with us.

I was at the side of the square on Thursday and it was all good humoured until out of the blue about 10 people started running across the square - it turns out they were mostly plain clothed officers. I couldn't see what happened to the lad they caught but it quickly resulted in some bottles being thrown and the atmosphere changed immediately. The riot police came in and more bottles were thrown. The police responded with tear gas and that quickly cleared the square.

It is unfortunate that a few people ruined the day. Throwing bottles at police who were just doing their job was out of order and it came as absolutely no surprise to me that the police responded with tear gas given the events of the previous evening. I don't know what else they were supposed to do to get things back under control quickly. To be fair they disappeared soon after and the rest of the day saw no more real problems, except for some more idiots throwing bottles at a handful of Lille fans who were standing with our supporters by the theatre.

The biggest mistake the French authorities made was to allow people to buy glass bottles of beer and drink them in the square. It was inevitable some drunken idiots would start smashing them. There are always some people who are looking to cause trouble.

I appreciate that most people will probably disagree with me but I don't blame the police for using tear gas, although the reports of two rubber bullets being fired is a whole different issue for me.

The fact is that 10,000 fans had come to party and it is such a shame that our name is being tarnished by a handful of idiots who do not represent the values of our great club.

Anyone without a match ticket was not allowed in the main square. How they sorted that out I do not know.

Anyway, there were Merseyside police assisting the French. The Merseyside police identified a known hooligan and a drug dealer to the French as they were approaching the main square from a side street. The drug dealer was chased by plain clothes French police into the square, they caught and arrested him, some Everon started throwing bottles and so small uniformed squads were sent in to disperse fans from the centre of the square. They overreacted and misjudged the tear gas use but to them it may well have seemed there were scores or hundreds throwing bottles and they were few, sent in in small squads. The bleating about tear gas being used when children and families were around is typical as it's clearly OK for bottles to be thrown by our own without a single bleat about that scarring children or families for life nor infringing my human Ingurlish rights.

It was hardly World War 3 but let's face it the French wouldn't have been there if it was!

Ban Lille? It's always some other fucker's fault, to some.