IGNORED

Paris shootings

Lowensda

I feel your frustration regarding the social media side of things, so many idiots talking sh*t. The whole 'pray' for Paris thing got tedious as well. I know people's hearts are in the right place, and it is terrible what happened, but it just makes absolutely zero difference writing it over and over again. Actually praying makes even less difference.

Praying as a means of reflecting on what they do, how they can be better, how others may feel - it can only be a good thing. It can focus a person in to be less selfish, more compassionate.

To quote Martin Luther King:- "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that"

So many amazing acts of humanity have come out of this tragedy.

Over the weekend, we attended a performance of Verdi's Requiem given by the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus. At the end, as people were leaving the hall and congregating in the lobby, members of the chorus appeared and everyone who knew the words joined in an impromptu singing of La Marseillaise. It was heart-warming.

In the aftermath of all this, the biggest thing that's getting to me, is the amount of uneducated idiots there are in the world.

So many people who don't either understand the situation at hand or ignore the facts that are there but not highlighted, using this as an opportunity to slander and use racist remarks, is mind blowing.

Disgusting behavior by some people of social media. My recent status highlighted this trend.

"If people put as much energy as they put into writing these statuses and updates, linking videos and sharing articles of "muslims", "terrorists" and all the other bad stories that have cropped up of late and actually did something about it, the world might be a better place. Continue to sit behind a screen and vent your rage and incredible anger at the very selective acts of violence carefully portrayed in the media and continue to do naff all about it. If you truly want to make a difference, cancel your table at Nando's, swap your Nike's for boots and get yourself signed up to the army. Or alternatively, study politics become an MP and force your views in the 'house'. Wrongly, these "terrorists" are actually doing something about what they believe in, not updating their social media accounts. I'm off for a while."

There's no smoke without fire.

Many believe it does, and it certainly does no harm.

That's the saddest part about the whole religious praying thing for me, amazes me that people still genuinely believe it can be real in the amazing age of science we are in now, and the understanding of the universe and evolution that we have.

Praying as a means of reflecting on what they do, how they can be better, how others may feel - it can only be a good thing. It can focus a person in to be less selfish, more compassionate.

To quote Martin Luther King:- "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that"

So many amazing acts of humanity have come out of this tragedy.

I agree with everything you said in your first sentence 100%. Self reflection and thinking about others more are great things, I just don't really associate those things with prayer. To me prayer has religious connotations, and anything that promotes any religion in any way doesn't sit well with me, especially on that scale.

That's the saddest part about the whole religious praying thing for me, amazes me that people still genuinely believe it can be real in the amazing age of science we are in now, and the understanding of the universe and evolution that we have.

I agree with everything you said in your first sentence 100%. Self reflection and thinking about others more are great things, I just don't really associate those things with prayer. To me prayer has religious connotations, and anything that promotes any religion in any way doesn't sit well with me, especially on that scale.

It doesn't have to sit well with you, it's your choice to believe what you think - the same as it is for another person. Otherwise you are as bad as a person who wants to force their beliefs on others.

There are plenty of brilliant scientists who have great understanding of quantum physics etc who don't feel the need to go down the self congratulatory Richard Dawkins route.

If they didn't do the things they do nobody would talk about them. I thought that would be fairly easy to understand.

your mistaking animals with a group of people. Don't confuse these pricks and those of the past with the 1.3 billion Muslims around the world. It's simple bigotry if you do.