IGNORED

Paris shootings

Lowensda

At least 11 people were killed in a shooting at a French satirical news magazine which has published cartoons of the Muslim Prophet Muhammad, police told reporters Wednesday.

Local news media reported that two police officers were among those killed. Currently, the number of injured people is thought to be around 10, of which five are critically wounded, according to Reuters.

France's anti-terrorist alert was raised to the highest level after the shooting, President Francois Hollande said.

B6viYn6IYAAul73.jpg

An as-yet-verified Tweet showed what appeared to be a Paris police car riddled with bullets.

"About a half an hour ago two black-hooded men entered the building with Kalashnikovs (guns)," journalist Benoit Bringer French told French news channel iTELE, according to Reuters. "A few minutes later we heard lots of shots," he said, adding that the men were then seen fleeing the building.

The current whereabouts of the assailants has not been confirmed.

Charlie Hebdo published cartoons of the Muslim prophet Muhammad in 2012, forcing France to temporarily close its embassies and schools in more than 20 countries amid fears of reprisals.

Its offices were also firebombed in November 2011 after publishing a caricature of Mohammed on its cover.

Edited by tenaciousj

I'm gutted for the families and my deepest sympathies are with them.

I'm just confused as to why the editor continued to provoke and stir the hornets nest despite the clear threat of consequences?

Doesn't make what happened right, but surely he was taking a big risk for more people other than himself.

I'm gutted for the families and my deepest sympathies are with them.

I'm just confused as to why the editor continued to provoke and stir the hornets nest despite the clear threat of consequences?

Doesn't make what happened right, but surely he was taking a big risk for more people other than himself.

yes hafnia i understand your logic there. i think their line of thinking was "we aren't go to let extremists change our views and paper, otherwise we'll be changing it every other week when we offend someone new. either keep it real, or close up shop". satirical paper it was.

I wonder if Richard Dawkins drives a car?.... after all how many people have died because of oil?

Religion and faith saves millions of lives lives - it gives peoiple sanity, hope, a conscience, the discipline and self awareness to question who they are. It helps people reform their lives. In short it does so much good that we do not hear about.

When someone takes a religion and manipulates its teachings and tries to use it as a means of making people commit murder - is that really religion? Not in my opinion.

Peoples faith will often make them use their lives on earth as a vehicle for a better life when our time is up, rewards in heaven for example. When that vehicle is manipulated for a bad cause, it can represent a very dangerous vehicle. When it is taught in the right way, people will behave in a peaceful manner.

Richard Dawkins annoys me no end with his constant criticism of religion.

Apologies from the US for the absolutely disgraceful attitude displayed of the country's president and vice-president by not bothering to attend today's march in Paris, even though they had no other events on their calendars. The US attorney general was actually in Paris but chose to give interviews to US morning shows instead of attending the march. If Israel's president could march alongside the Palestinian president, and if the Ukrainian leader could march alongside the Russian foreign minister, I would have thought the US leadership could have walked with its allies, instead of simply asking the ambassador to attend. Sadly, this is the latest in a long series of snubs to Western leaders. I would hope that the next US president, whoever that may be and no matter which party they represent, will stand with allies in time of need. Rest assured that, from all the comments I've heard from friends and neighbors, the American people really do stand with Europe at this time.

Apologies from the US for the absolutely disgraceful attitude displayed of the country's president and vice-president by not bothering to attend today's march in Paris, even though they had no other events on their calendars. The US attorney general was actually in Paris but chose to give interviews to US morning shows instead of attending the march. If Israel's president could march alongside the Palestinian president, and if the Ukrainian leader could march alongside the Russian foreign minister, I would have thought the US leadership could have walked with its allies, instead of simply asking the ambassador to attend. Sadly, this is the latest in a long series of snubs to Western leaders. I would hope that the next US president, whoever that may be and no matter which party they represent, will stand with allies in time of need. Rest assured that, from all the comments I've heard from friends and neighbors, the American people really do stand with Europe at this time.

Maybe Mr. President had a tee time booked.

President Obama has made up for being MIA last weekend. John Kerry visited the French to give them all, quote, "a big hug". And then they all held hands while James Taylor sang Kumbaya. How nice.

"Monseur Hollande. On behalf of the American people, maybe I can present you with this compilation of songs by your new friend, James. It will fit nicely alongside the compilation of President Obama's speeches that the Queen of England gave you last year as a Christmas present."

• 9 months later...

The most encouraging response appears to be this: "While Paris residents were urged to stay indoors, hundreds streamed down the Boulevard Magenta waving French flags, trying to get to the stadium where the shooting occurred, to show solidarity with the victims."

The most worrisome response is that the refugee camp set up in Calais has been set on fire in retribution.

In the aftermath of all this, the biggest thing that's getting to me, is the amount of uneducated idiots there are in the world.

So many people who don't either understand the situation at hand or ignore the facts that are there but not highlighted, using this as an opportunity to slander and use racist remarks, is mind blowing.

Disgusting behavior by some people of social media. My recent status highlighted this trend.

"If people put as much energy as they put into writing these statuses and updates, linking videos and sharing articles of "muslims", "terrorists" and all the other bad stories that have cropped up of late and actually did something about it, the world might be a better place. Continue to sit behind a screen and vent your rage and incredible anger at the very selective acts of violence carefully portrayed in the media and continue to do naff all about it. If you truly want to make a difference, cancel your table at Nando's, swap your Nike's for boots and get yourself signed up to the army. Or alternatively, study politics become an MP and force your views in the 'house'. Wrongly, these "terrorists" are actually doing something about what they believe in, not updating their social media accounts. I'm off for a while."

Personally, in the face of terrorism, I remember words from the salt march scene in the movie about Gandhi: "They expect us to lose heart or to fight back: We will do neither." That takes real courage.

Courage and a trust in the opposing side having some morals .... no matter how deeply buried

In the aftermath of all this, the biggest thing that's getting to me, is the amount of uneducated idiots there are in the world.

So many people who don't either understand the situation at hand or ignore the facts that are there but not highlighted, using this as an opportunity to slander and use racist remarks, is mind blowing.

Disgusting behavior by some people of social media. My recent status highlighted this trend.

"If people put as much energy as they put into writing these statuses and updates, linking videos and sharing articles of "muslims", "terrorists" and all the other bad stories that have cropped up of late and actually did something about it, the world might be a better place. Continue to sit behind a screen and vent your rage and incredible anger at the very selective acts of violence carefully portrayed in the media and continue to do naff all about it. If you truly want to make a difference, cancel your table at Nando's, swap your Nike's for boots and get yourself signed up to the army. Or alternatively, study politics become an MP and force your views in the 'house'. Wrongly, these "terrorists" are actually doing something about what they believe in, not updating their social media accounts. I'm off for a while."

I feel your frustration regarding the social media side of things, so many idiots talking sh*t. The whole 'pray' for Paris thing got tedious as well. I know people's hearts are in the right place, and it is terrible what happened, but it just makes absolutely zero difference writing it over and over again. Actually praying makes even less difference.