IGNORED

Pre Season 2015

Is it that profitable to go to Singapore / Japan / Asia for a couple of games when the team is starting the season? I totally understand that the fans over there want to see the team too and clubs get some revenue but between the jet lag and the different climate I have a hard time believing that it's the best way to ensure full fitness to start the season.

I'm not a fitness expert but I'd love to know the amount of fatigue accumulated for all those trips/jet-lag/deficient training sessions and if the extra revenue compensates it instead of staying nearby and focusing purely on fitness and tactics, grabbing 15/15 points and getting players very confident for the rest of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

With Garbutt being part of the squad does it look like he's not going out on loan or is he staying still Baines is fit?

I would have liked to see Chris Long in the squad he proved he can score a few goals in championship and would have been good seeing what he could do.

Even if Garbutt is going out on loan he still needs a pre-season until then, and as you said Baines is still injured meaning Garbutt is the only LB we have at the moment.

Even if Garbutt is going out on loan he still needs a pre-season until then, and as you said Baines is still injured meaning Garbutt is the only LB we have at the moment.

Exactly and all the other young loan candidates are going as well. Henen browning Galloway, mcaleny. So being there is not indicative of not getting a loan.

Edited by markjazzbassist

The big rule about preseason is to ignore results, they mean nothing. I've seen many crap seasons after blinding friendlies and vice versa.

The number of matches will be pretty much always the same, 7/8 though some will be predominantly reserve games. Fitness is key as well as a bit of match practice but we won't know whether it's a successful start until the early real results are in.

In short, do we have a good preseason arranged? No idea.

Watching Arsenal claw back from 2-0 down in the last eight minutes at the start of last season, should be one of the many matches from last year that keeps Martinez awake at nights.........seeing the players wilt before our very eyes should be the things nightmares are made of !

Had we been fitter, 6 points from a banana skin at Liecester and game against Arsenal would probably have been ours.

There was a 30 min TV programme here on the Asia Trophy and the teams involved. Interviewed Martinez who said that the tournament was crucial in our season start up Prep and Everton will start the season as the fittest Everton team ever.

Also showed some of Martinez and Robles at the Cup Final and the last game when they were relegated.......long faces!

Strangely too there was a 10 min snapshot of Anders Limpar - the Everton and Arsenal link up I guess. I'd never seen him before, being in NZ for a good number of years at the time where football doesn't exist apart from millions of junior teams who all want to play for the All Blacks when they grow up!

Limpar was a remarkable player who liked to pop in goals out of nothing. Times have changed now and you have to be a worker - not just a goalscorer. Pity really, no room for the George Bests and Jimmy Greaves these days.

Edited by Oztoffee