IGNORED

Rate our Summer Window 2015

Lowensda

Rate our Summer Transfer Window 2015  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Out of 10 - How would you rate our Transfer Activity?

I give our offseason a 1/10; and not trying to troll. Here's my .02:

- I would've sold Stones for 40 mil. Not popular I know, but I just don't think we need a CB more than we need the money. While it would've rocked the boat regarding 'our ambitions' (with folks like Mirallas and Lukaku), it's incredibly risk averse to assume we can't do better with the money.

- I'm not giving a free pass on failing to address the number 10 role. Horrible scouting to know what talent was available, and we left Yarmolenko way too late in the window (ironic after Roberto's comments). Plus, we failed to recruit others while after Yarmolenko. This was the most important need and is what will keep us outside the top 8.

- I'm glad to have Deulofeu back, but basically if he develops as we hope Barcelona are getting a bargain back. Capping our potential profit at 8-10 million for 2 years of development isn't a stellar deal.

- Why didn't we sell Naismith for 8 mil?!?!?! Move Kone to the bench, Lennon at RW, and pocket the 8 mil while you can still get it.

- One other point I forgot: we didn't reduce our wage bill in places that make sense for a non-Euro squad (looking at Mcgeady, Pienaar, Gibson, Hibbert, even Osman).

- Roberto's comment afterwards is a -10/10. It confirmed that he's more interested in spinning a story vs. acknowledging we failed to deliver...a theme of his tenure.

Net/net: Our leadership is making decisions like passionate fans vs. a well thought out business strategy. Nothing new, but this transfer window highlighted it.

Good stuff. I forgot naisy as well, I would have sold him immediately. 8m for him? Without even thinking I'd do that. Promote Connor macaleny to take his place or play osman.

In relation to previous transfer windows, this was a relatively productive summer (I'd say 6.5 out of 10). Deulofeu was a smart piece of business, Lennon and Cleverley were handy pickups and keeping Stones was an immense effort.

But the way that these opening four rounds have played out, it seems like it is shaping up to be a bit of a weaker season for the premier league as a whole than usual. Within the 'usual suspects' for top 4/top 6 spots: Tottenham and Chelsea's struggles are obvious, Southampton are looking inconsistent and Arsenal, Liverpool and Man U have hit some bumps. This is probably one of the better seasons to challenge for a top 4 spot - just as the 2013-14 season was when Man U and Tottenam went through bouts of poor form and manager sackings.

I think in hindsight we might look back at this transfer window as a missed opportunity. Spending £15m or even Lukaku-like money on a central midfielder might not have been so reckless.

8/10 for reasons mentioned above.

Good

Distin, Alcaraz gone - only minimal covered needed in Funes Mori. Trust/faith in Galloway/Browning

Deulofeu complete steal at price

Cleverley on a free is a top 10 transfer in the whole PL.

Lennon another shrewd signing

Kept Stones which looked impossible in June

Investing in future with Henen/Rodriguez/Holgate

Still think Barkley can be the solution in the 10 role. I know that opinion is not shared by many.

Bad

No capable backup striker signed. Not a fan of Kone's at all and Naismith has too many weaknesses to be consistent threat.

McGeady not sold. Really wanted him gone.

Spot on, except the bit for Kone and Naismith. I'm hoping to see a new version of Kone this year after his injury nightmare.

I don't rate Leandro Rodriguez, though, despite the fact that I never heard/seen anything about him. Only because if you are 22 and still playing in Uruguay, with the incredible amount of people willing to make money of young footballers in South America... it doesn't look good for the guy, and I'm seriously doubting he ever makes an appearance for Everton. I'd love to be wrong, though!

It's the morning after and I'm still pretty disappointed and feeling a bit let down, but it is what it is. I have nothing against the players signed; I'm sure some of them will make a difference to our season and with others I'm hopeful that they will. My disappointment with the window is only due to what wasn't brought in, and if we spend a season fannying about struggling to create then I'm going to be very annoyed.

Matt, would you still be happy if you found out that loan we took out this summer is the only money we spent this summer and we in fact had no money to spend without it?

Not saying that that's the case because I have no idea, just wondering because the two figures seem to match up rather conveniently.

I'm never going to know that so I'm not going to worry about it :)

Question to those who are happy and already wait for January: isn't that a contradictionary? You are happy with the dealings but already wait for the next transfer window to fix things?

How is it contradictory? Every window is about strengthening right? I'm looking forward to a new player or 2, not waiting for things to be "fixed"

If the team had no obvious issues why not just enjoy them play rather than expect issues to be solved months from now?

Because every window presents opportunities, every team always needs to strengthen in some form or another. It's about looking forward to the next season, not about buying to fix things now.

:lol: I honestly believe that if we were going into administration you'd still be positive and not criticise :P.

Actually, I don't think even you're that mad... are you?

Pretty sure I've been quite critical of the actual person responsible for running the business, calling him inept etc. and wanting him gone for a while now. Just because I try and see a longer term plan or I try to be more positive or acknowledge that I don't know the ins and outs so why stress, doesn't mean I'm that much of an idiot :lol:

I've gone 6/10 keeping hold of Stones is great business and the early acquisition of Cleverly (proving me wrong) and Delofeu gave me great hope!

Then nothing until deadline day really. We needed a top cb as cover for Stones and Jags we got an untried south American for over 9 million. Juries out on that one (Kroldrup springs to mind).

No number 10 altho we were aware for months we needed one!

We also acquired a young untried striker from Uruguay who doesn't have the greatest record.

Give it a month or 2 and a few injuries and this window may have a whole different outlook.

Maybe for the better maybe for the worse.

For me the long term plan is affected by this window. My worries previously have been about not showing enough ambition to keep the likes of Stones, Barkley, Lukaku, Mirallas etc. Kev signed a new deal, which is great but the likes of Rom may feel we're not progressing quick enough for their own liking and may seek alternative opportunities.

7/10

Good

Distin, Alcaraz gone - big earners off the wage bill

Cleverley on a free shame about the injury

Lennon another good signing and will help with our pace on attack

Deulofeu complete and a decent price too as Lennon will add to pace on attack

Kept Stones and all our young talent which looked impossible in June

Investing in future looking at the bigger picture - aslong as we don't become like Arsenal !

Having a stronger squad exiting the window than entering it

Bad

No capable backup striker signed.

McGeady not sold

Not having a plan B for Naismith 8 mill for him would have been a great deal if we had a no 10 lined up

No Number.10, though I agree Barkley can do it I prefer Barkley a bit deeper alongside McCarthy - this was the biggest let down during the window.

For me the long term plan is affected by this window. My worries previously have been about not showing enough ambition to keep the likes of Stones, Barkley, Lukaku, Mirallas etc. Kev signed a new deal, which is great but the likes of Rom may feel we're not progressing quick enough for their own liking and may seek alternative opportunities.

Then he can sod off and we'll bring in someone else.

This season could potentially fuck us up if we have another season like the one just gone. Alternatively, it could help attract even more talent. We just have to wait and see :)

As you may have guessed, I will lose very little sleep if Lukaku decides to go - however Barkley, Stones, and to a degree Mirallas are must retains.

Then he can sod off and we'll bring in someone else.

This season could potentially fuck us up if we have another season like the one just gone. Alternatively, it could help attract even more talent. We just have to wait and see :)

Totally agree. If we don't have a top 4 challenging campaign I can see stones, Coleman, and Lukaku gone this next summer.

As you may have guessed, I will lose very little sleep if Lukaku decides to go - however Barkley, Stones, and to a degree Mirallas are must retains.

Martinez has turned Kev into a bit part player. His potential was huge under Moyes and in his first season under Martinez. The acceleration seems to have gone and I only blame Martinez. Not getting used enough and certainly I don't think he appreciates him.

So why bring in two this window?!

Because he's worked with them before and they're "nice lads". :lol:

He just loves to be reunited with players he's worked with before. aha. In fairness, i'm happy with both, just can't see him using them all that much as they'll all be fighting for the one position.

Edited by tenaciousj

Martinez has turned Kev into a bit part player. His potential was huge under Moyes and in his first season under Martinez. The acceleration seems to have gone and I only blame Martinez. Not getting used enough and certainly I don't think he appreciates him.

spot on. i'll never forget that run and goal mirallas had when he took the ball at the halfway line, ran with it and juked 2 players out and then ran to the box and put it in. one man team he was with moyes and martinez first season. if RM didn't want him he should have sold him, we could have used the money. kev isn't a super sub, he needs game time to be consistent.