IGNORED

Rate our Summer Window 2015

Lowensda

Rate our Summer Transfer Window 2015  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Out of 10 - How would you rate our Transfer Activity?

Going to be Mr Pedantic again (to an extent). We won't know how good it's been until we see how the group we have perform over the next few months.

But I'll give it a six because we're stronger now than we were before and we kept Stones when no fucker in the world outside of Goodison/some Blues thought we would.

+ looking to replace a senior player in advance of his decline

+ got rid of dead weights without weakening the squad

+ aware that we need an AM

+ youth players look ready and the manager is reluctantly using them (better than playing any experienced player in any position over a youth like our last two managers)

+ potentially reduced the club's debt

-x5 No number 10

Such a pity we never got yarmolenko, would have given me hope that we could build to threaten the top.

8/10 for reasons mentioned above.

Good

Distin, Alcaraz gone - only minimal covered needed in Funes Mori. Trust/faith in Galloway/Browning

Deulofeu complete steal at price

Cleverley on a free is a top 10 transfer in the whole PL.

Lennon another shrewd signing

Kept Stones which looked impossible in June

Investing in future with Henen/Rodriguez/Holgate

Still think Barkley can be the solution in the 10 role. I know that opinion is not shared by many.

Bad

No capable backup striker signed. Not a fan of Kone's at all and Naismith has too many weaknesses to be consistent threat.

McGeady not sold. Really wanted him gone.

positives

- we got gerry back on a reasonable deal

- cleverley on a free

- holgate a promising youngster

- henen locked down to a permanent deal

negatives

- we had one major flaw, no number 10, we did nothing to address this

- we overpaid A LOT for a younger version of alcaraz

- we got an unproven reserve striker

biggest need was a 10, it wasn't fulfilled, therefore i can't give higher than a 4 regardless of others brought in. Can't drive the truck if the engine ain't fixed, no matter how many fancy spoiilers exhaust rims tires etc., won't run without the engine.

6/10

+ 2 defenders gone who offered nothing (80-90k off the wage bill too) for a good potential defender in Colgate and Mori. Lennon in which will give us a fast, pesky player

- no creative AMC, still have McGeady

Pretty much my thoughts, exactly. If we would have signed the mythical "Number 10", then this window would have been an easy 10/10.

I think fans are either dismayed because we haven't "splashed the cash" or because our club made clear its intentions to sign a quality "10" and never delivered. I can understand the let-down. I feel it too. But, the former reason is silly, and you're free to splash the cash on your new copy of FIFA for PS4, so go get your fix there.

Last I will say on the matter, for now at least....

In summary. Are we satisfied with the dealings (new signings, getting rid of wages, new key contracts), mixed bag of reactions but I think we'll all agree it could've been much worse.

Are any of us truly happy. I'd say no because of 1 key factor - again no creative AMC

Look, this is Everton and most of the time we are let down. If we had gotten Yarmolenko, we'd be on cloud 9 but theres no guarantee he (or any other AMC for big money) would've worked out. We could've lost Mirallas, we could've screwed up the Mori deal with the permit, we could've missed out on Lennon, we could've lost the best up and coming CB around.

But instead, we are in a situation where we signed Cleverley (ok, a free but already proved he can be a very good player for us), signed Geri (masses of potential to fulfill but showing positive early signs that he will), signed a promising young CB in Holgate, signed 2 promising strikers in Henen and Leandro, signed another CB (who has to be better than Alcaraz and Distin) and Lennon (someone who invigorated our second half of the season). 2 out, who added no value to the team (1 arguably lost us progression in Europe) for 6 in.

3 of them chose to play for us. That is massive. Not in terms of direct monetary return, but players who have points to prove and will improve us. This is what is meant by the "right kind of player" and, as 20m shows, we had some cash to spend. I'm convinced we'll have a lot more to spend in the future (though not January, Martinez has already said the Jan window is a waste of money because of the inflated prices).

I was 5m short of what I thought we would spend, but barring AY signing (which would've taken us to nearly 40m, were it not for their guy in charge) we did show we've got cash to invest in the squad too.

In short, we've proven that we're not "skint", we've increased our team a fair bit and we've been playing well which the other players will add to. Hardly a poor window, and on reflection, I think my initial 6/10 is harsh.

I give our offseason a 1/10; and not trying to troll. Here's my .02:

- I would've sold Stones for 40 mil. Not popular I know, but I just don't think we need a CB more than we need the money. While it would've rocked the boat regarding 'our ambitions' (with folks like Mirallas and Lukaku), it's incredibly risk averse to assume we can't do better with the money.

- I'm not giving a free pass on failing to address the number 10 role. Horrible scouting to know what talent was available, and we left Yarmolenko way too late in the window (ironic after Roberto's comments). Plus, we failed to recruit others while after Yarmolenko. This was the most important need and is what will keep us outside the top 8.

- I'm glad to have Deulofeu back, but basically if he develops as we hope Barcelona are getting a bargain back. Capping our potential profit at 8-10 million for 2 years of development isn't a stellar deal.

- Why didn't we sell Naismith for 8 mil?!?!?! Move Kone to the bench, Lennon at RW, and pocket the 8 mil while you can still get it.

- One other point I forgot: we didn't reduce our wage bill in places that make sense for a non-Euro squad (looking at Mcgeady, Pienaar, Gibson, Hibbert, even Osman).

- Roberto's comment afterwards is a -10/10. It confirmed that he's more interested in spinning a story vs. acknowledging we failed to deliver...a theme of his tenure.

Net/net: Our leadership is making decisions like passionate fans vs. a well thought out business strategy. Nothing new, but this transfer window highlighted it.

Edited by GMorrison183