IGNORED

Just published my first book

Cornish Steve

It took a little over a year to write - in my "spare" time called evenings and weekends - but it's done. In Kindle format, it's 320 pages. Given it's a controversial topic, I had to use a pseudonym (promised that to my wife). It will be interesting to see how ( or if!) it sells. :)

Years ago, I had to write up my PhD thesis, with all kinds of multidimensional integrals, Bessel functions, and the like. I also published about 12 scientific papers. It took forever using a PC called an Apricot. Nowadays, it's so much easier to write and edit that I felt comfortable attempting an entire book - although I'm surprised how spelling and grammar checkers missed several typos. I caught some on my umpteenth review of the text.

Quite an achievement that, well done Steve! Is it self published or gone through a publisher? Hope you sell loads. We have a full time writer on here as well but can't for the life of me remember who it is, fiction for "young adults" if I remember right.

I "had to" write my life story in 1994, was about eighty hand written A4 pages so I don't know how long that'd be in book form; it's in the attic somewhere, must drag it out sometime.

Quite an achievement that, well done Steve! Is it self published or gone through a publisher? Hope you sell loads. We have a full time writer on here as well but can't for the life of me remember who it is, fiction for "young adults" if I remember right.

I "had to" write my life story in 1994, was about eighty hand written A4 pages so I don't know how long that'd be in book form; it's in the attic somewhere, must drag it out sometime.

Formby, isn't it?

Formby, isn't it?

That's him, not been on for a couple of months, probably too busy writing to write something. Be a bit of a busman's holiday coming on here anyway (in my previous life as a sound engineer I had absolutely no means of playing music in my flat because I never felt the need of it).

Yes, self-published. I have a couple of friends who are authors, and they've been providing excellent advice. The standard route these days is to self-publish. The publishing companies monitor and then approach authors of books that are selling well. It's a very different model these days. The trick, of course, is marketing. Word of mouth can only get you so far.

It was a very interesting experience. I spent about four months doing nothing but reading books and online articles to understand all aspects of the subject better. I then pulled all this material together into topics, which broke down into chapters. Then I wrote the narrative, fitting these references in where appropriate. Perhaps the most important task was the final editing, where I managed to cut the number of words from 112K to 69K and the number of references from 1200 to about 750. (They say a book should not go beyond 70K words.) Getting all the references in the right format and adding small 1, 2, 3, ...,750 and hyperlinks to the bibliography took, literally, weeks! Still, I'm quite pleased with the result.

Steve, really hope it goes well. I have written articles for various publications (non anyone will have heard of!) and have been encouraged to write a book, but I haven't got the patience. Unlike MikeO who hand wrote 80 odd pages, I don't even have that excuse as I can touch type (and quite fast). I often think of having a shot but just as quickly forget it, so I really admire your perseverance.

Steve, really hope it goes well. I have written articles for various publications (non anyone will have heard of!) and have been encouraged to write a book, but I haven't got the patience. Unlike MikeO who hand wrote 80 odd pages, I don't even have that excuse as I can touch type (and quite fast). I often think of having a shot but just as quickly forget it, so I really admire your perseverance.

Then you must, John. The knowledge and experience you have are valuable!

I've had letters published in The Independent and The Telegraph (as well as several rags local to me over the years) when I've been in Mr Angry mode. Do I get Brownie points for that?

MikeO, I write regularly to the Telegraph 'letters'. I keep a record (I know I should get out more). I have had 28 published in the main paper, 23 in the Sports section and 21 in the Business section. Also about 15 in the Sunday Times. My ambition is to get a letter in the book they (Telegraph) publish covering letters that never 'made it'.

john i know you played for Leeds, do you root for them as well? for the record i don't care either way, just making small talk

Mark, yes do root for them but they take second place to the blues. Fortunately, they don't play each other very often these days. On the odd occasions they do, I put my head under the pillow and pretend it isn't happening!

I also post on a Leeds United website. There are three authors on that website and they have all said the same as you, Steve. You never know.......

Go for it John.

I've tried many, many times over probably thirty years to write fiction; did a creative writing course at college twenty odd years ago and got very positive feedback.

My problem is, and always has been, this.

If I read back something I've written the following day I think, "That's hopeless" and I bin/delete it (depending on era).

If I write something, forget about it and then rediscover it a month later I think, "That's actually not too bad" but I have completely forgotten where I was going with it so I delete/bin as per above.

The life story that I "had to do" I had a deadline of a Monday morning: I did bits and pieces but procrastinated wildly and ended up spending forty-eight hours solid writing in my parent's attic room away from any distraction to get it in on time. It was honest, well received and I was proud of it. Must have a search and see what I think of it now :).

MikeO, I write regularly to the Telegraph 'letters'. I keep a record (I know I should get out more). I have had 28 published in the main paper, 23 in the Sports section and 21 in the Business section. Also about 15 in the Sunday Times. My ambition is to get a letter in the book they (Telegraph) publish covering letters that never 'made it'.

That's an impressive record John!

Go for it John.

I've tried many, many times over probably thirty years to write fiction; did a creative writing course at college twenty odd years ago and got very positive feedback.

My problem is, and always has been, this.

If I read back something I've written the following day I think, "That's hopeless" and I bin/delete it (depending on era).

If I write something, forget about it and then rediscover it a month later I think, "That's actually not too bad" but I have completely forgotten where I was going with it so I delete/bin as per above.

The life story that I "had to do" I had a deadline of a Monday morning: I did bits and pieces but procrastinated wildly and ended up spending forty-eight hours solid writing in my parent's attic room away from any distraction to get it in on time. It was honest, well received and I was proud of it. Must have a search and see what I think of it now :).

Mike, I find it is fatal to write something then go back to it and analyse it. You make changes and it becomes stilted and the more you change it the worse it gets. As long, as the punctuation is, OK and the speling is OK then go with the first run.

Mike, I find it is fatal to write something then go back to it and analyse it. You make changes and it becomes stilted and the more you change it the worse it gets. As long, as the punctuation is, OK and the speling is OK then go with the first run.

Good advice that I've had before but I can't help myself.

It's in my genes though, so I must be able to get it out one day.

This is the obituary of my favourite uncle (dad's big brother), who I loved to bits from infancy 'til the day he died. His memoir, which he dictated to his wife from his hospital bed, is a prized possession, She's actually a notable writer herself.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2008/jun/03/mainsection.obituaries

(can I add my apologies to Steve for the hijack but it's an interesting subject)