IGNORED

Just published my first book

Cornish Steve

Good advice that I've had before but I can't help myself.

It's in my genes though, so I must be able to get it out one day.

This is the obituary of my favourite uncle (dad's big brother), who I loved to bits from infancy 'til the day he died. His memoir, which he dictated to his wife from his hospital bed, is a prized possession, She's actually a notable writer herself.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2008/jun/03/mainsection.obituaries

(can I add my apologies to Steve for the hijack but it's an interesting subject)

Mike, what a fine obituary. I note that he taught at Slough Grammar School in the mid-fifties. The guy I play snooker with went to Slough Grammar at that time, I will find out if he remembers your uncle.

Congrats, but why mention it if you won't tell us what it is? You should be proud for people to know it's your work!

I mentioned it because I sighed a huge sigh of relief when it was finished: It took over a year. Plus, the process was interesting, especially today's ability to publish and distribute books at zero cost.

I'd be happy to let anyone know the title and subject. As mentioned, though, I promised my wife I would use a pseudonym.

I mentioned it because I sighed a huge sigh of relief when it was finished: It took over a year. Plus, the process was interesting, especially today's ability to publish and distribute books at zero cost.

I'd be happy to let anyone know the title and subject. As mentioned, though, I promised my wife I would use a pseudonym.

Send me a pm then Steve, I'm intrigued.

OK. Let me post a link. It's 320 pages with 750 references. The challenge was how to make such a book readable. In additional to a conversational style, I chose to write and include three fictional short stories to get some of the points across.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016WUQM4O

I've already told you my feelings via pm Steve but to go public (in brief), admirable job; hope it goes well for you.

I admire anyone who can get a book published.

My general studies teacher who was head of english used to read my essays out in the staff room for a laugh. Not that they were poor, it's just that from an examination perspective they were not structured in the right way to get good marks.

Example:- "describe 4 of the most important songs ever written"

My first choice "chiquitita by abba".... my response was quite ahead of its time "in a few years people will realise what a groundbreaking group they were and be considered as influential as bowie." I think I used the bee gees as another. In the 1991 it wasn't the cool response.

I did it a lot to take the piss out of the pretentious twats who at the age of 17 were reading the guardian and no doubt used Rolling Stone by Bob Dylan as one of their answers.

Edited by Hafnia

Or, in our case, having to write "three threes are nine, not is nine" several hundred times. We had to recite tables as a class, and someone inevitably said "is". Hearing the 's' caused the teacher to go into paroxysms of rage!

We had a Scottish maths teacher in my first year at secondary school who used to randomly point at someone and bark "x times x boy!" totally out of context with what the lesson was about. If you got it wrong or didn't answer quickly enough you used to have to kneel in front of the class and he'd hit you over the head with a textbook! Happy days :).

We had a Scottish maths teacher in my first year at secondary school who used to randomly point at someone and bark "x times x boy!" totally out of context with what the lesson was about. If you got it wrong or didn't answer quickly enough you used to have to kneel in front of the class and he'd hit you over the head with a textbook! Happy days :).

Amazing what teachers used to get away with, isn't it? We had one who would through a blackboard rubber at you from distance. He once hit the wrong person with it on the head and almost knocked them out. Another (unsurprisingly known as Porkie) would force people to go buy him pork pies during class. He'd also steal our rulers and break them over people's hands or backsides - and we'd get in trouble the next day for not having an unbroken ruler. Another would cover himself with pieces of sticky tape - no idea why.

I wish we had only got hit with a textbook, I can still hear the ringing in my ears.

It's actually quite common to hear these stories. A bloke I know in his 70's seen his mate caned so hard it was brutal, so his other mate got out of his chair and knocked the teacher out. The 3 of them were 6ft by the time they were 13... the bullying teacher picked on the wrong ones.

• 1 month later...

For anyone interested, from today until Thursday you can download the Kindle edition of my book free of charge from the Amazon website. I just looked at the stats, and it's currently being downloaded at a rate of about once every three minutes. Quite amazing. :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016WUQM4O

Congratulations Steve! Site says it's now available in print as well.

What sort of response are you getting?

Congratulations Steve! Site says it's now available in print as well.

What sort of response are you getting?

Let me answer this in a way you might not expect. The more people learn about this book, the more parents, in particular, are coming out of the woodwork and asking for advice. "My daughter is transgender. Where did I go wrong?" (Amazing that someone might think this.) "My daughter's friend in school is a lesbian and my daughter's having a hard time reconciling this with what she's taught in church. Can you help?" "My daughter has begun a relationship with another girl in school and her parents are having a really hard time about it. What would you advise?" I'm not a counselor, so it puts me in a tricky spot. What this points out, though, is that, by taking an extreme and judgmental approach to gays, church leaders have made themselves inaccessible to real people in real need of help. If this book can go some way to remedy that situation, I shall be very pleased.

FYI, so far today, close to 100 copies of the Kindle edition have been downloaded, and one person purchased the paperback edition. Honestly, I'm not too worried about the number of sales (because I've pledged all income to a charity anyway - and I get no income during this free offer, of course). It's more about trying to encourage people to study and think carefully instead of simply falling in line behind the teaching the latest popular or charismatic preacher.

Let me answer this in a way you might not expect. The more people learn about this book, the more parents, in particular, are coming out of the woodwork and asking for advice. "My daughter is transgender. Where did I go wrong?" (Amazing that someone might think this.) "My daughter's friend in school is a lesbian and my daughter's having a hard time reconciling this with what she's taught in church. Can you help?" "My daughter has begun a relationship with another girl in school and her parents are having a really hard time about it. What would you advise?" I'm not a counselor, so it puts me in a tricky spot. What this points out, though, is that, by taking an extreme and judgmental approach to gays, church leaders have made themselves inaccessible to real people in real need of help. If this book can go some way to remedy that situation, I shall be very pleased.

FYI, so far today, close to 100 copies of the Kindle edition have been downloaded, and one person purchased the paperback edition. Honestly, I'm not too worried about the number of sales (because I've pledged all income to a charity anyway - and I get no income during this free offer, of course). It's more about trying to encourage people to study and think carefully instead of simply falling in line behind the teaching the latest popular or charismatic preacher.

Rightly so, really commendable stuff on many levels Steve, very pleased to have "met" you. I'll certainly be reading the rest of it as one of the downloads is me :).

Now go and add my ten points in the prediction league :D.