Hafnia

Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

Putting it more simply Brexiteers are idiots they never new what they were voting for in reality, remainers new what they were voting for they were already living in that reality. I could go simpler but I don’t want to appear to abusive to Brexiteers they must be feeling gullible and financially impacted as it is. The saddest thing for me is that a generation are going to have to bare the brunt of this disaster, how are the 52% going to make this right for their children and grandchildren, the answer is there not they are going to bury their heads in the sand and leave to the remainers to sort their mess. 7 years later and it still pains that I could happily kick everyone of them. 

3 hours ago, RPG said:

This Brexiteer doesn't consider himself an idiot.

You say you don't want to be abusive to Brexiteers in the sentence after you called them idiots! What's that - Remain speak for 'Great Decision to Leave EU?'

I am certainly not feeling gullible and still believe that Brexit is the best thing for the long term benefit of the UK.

And you finish with more abuse to the Brexiteers that you don't want to abuse by saying that you could 'happily kick every one of them' This Brexiteer would happily kick you back - hard!

On a more cerebal level, of course the last few years were going to be painful. Ukraine, Covid-19 etc are global problems which have impacted every economy in the world. To suggest that if we had voted Remain we would have been spared those effects is, without wishing to be too abusive to Remainers, total bolleaux. But one thing that no impact on the global economy can take away from the UK is our Sovereignty - yes, that dirty word that Remainers don't like because they struggle to either fully understand the concept and its importance or they fail to produce one credible argument why they can justify letting the day to day affairs of the UK be micromanaged and legally controlled by a bunch of unelected tax dodgers in Brussels - or Strasbourg, depending on which week of the month it is.

As far as next generations are concerned, look back just 2 - 3 generations and see what they did for us. It is not unreasonable to expect a little pay back from future generations is it - especially if you want to continue being protected by all the freedoms that free people in the UK and around the free world have fought and died to protect and preserve for us? If you don't fancy playing your part in preserving our hard won freedoms, then Putin's Russia will probably give you instant citizenship, today, Comrade.

The really sad thing to see is the level of ignorance related to the preservation of freedom. Freedom isn't free and once you lose it, the cost of recovering it goes up exponentially. Maybe the real failing of us old codgers is not getting that message through to a generation of people who have made the grave mistake of taking their own freedom for granted.

Have a look at the Tytler Cycle for a simple explanation of the concept and maybe ask yourself where you think we are as a country in that cycle, right now.

Idiot. 

On 31/05/2023 at 10:02, RPG said:

Being a child of the 80s you have no experience of what the 40s and 50s were like. Believe me, the 70s and 80s were superb times by comparison (even if the 80s didn’t suit your political preferences - but thats a separate discussion).

Most seniors are, like me, pro Europe and anti EU. Sure, the remnants of the Remain lobby can trot out the odd old guy who will regurgitate their sound bites for them, but the majority are happy to be out of EU.

Idiot. 

2 hours ago, RPG said:

And for those people who are blinkered enough to only view Brexit through economic googles, even that argument doesn't really stand up any longer. Have a look at Germany for example, supposedly the strongest economy in the EU:

German economy bids goodbye to years of plenty (msn.com)

Caused by in the main Brexit, only recently watched a news report on the effect Brexit had on the EU and in particular Germany who were our biggest trading partner before Brexit. Other countries suffering due to Brexit doesn’t make it right, yet no other EU countries failings since Brexit come anywhere near close to ours. A complete own goal by mainly idiots with a racist agenda regarding borders, and even that promise of we will take back control over our borders failed with an increase of nearly 700% more migrants entering the country legally , the right wing press and government don’t like to report that, and for people of my generation and older that was the biggest reason they voted Brexit, because they believed that taking control of our borders meant no more migrants and refugees because that’s how the Brexit campaigners sold it to them, by praying on the insecurities of the oldest generation in the country. 

44 minutes ago, RPG said:

So, if you really believe that the UK leaving the EU is hurting the EU's strongest economy that badly, it surely demonstrates how much we (over) contributed to the EU in the first place does it not and that we are therefore better off out of it? Your argument shoots itself down, no need for me to do it.

You need to get off your racist/idiots soap box here Palfy. I know many pro brexit people and none of them are either racist or idiots. Many of them are non white and a surprisingly large amount are, I am confident to say, far better educated and qualified to speak on the matter than you or I.

Some people have been disadvantaged by Brexit, mainly those Brits who either lived, worked, did business or had a second home in EU. The solution to that was simple but the EU chose not to give retrospective rights to those Brits in that situation - further evidence (if ever it were needed) of the dictatorial and controlling nature of the United States of Europe. If the EU had remained what we had signed up for and what it was sold to us as (a Common Market / Free Trade Area) then it may have been a success. But it is now trying to build a United States of Europe and and it is concentrating on politics and sovereignty stripping ahead of any genuine common market / free trade agenda.

I find it mind boggling though that you can try to blame German'y economic collapse on Brexit. That is getting desperate Palfy.

Not at all blaming it all on Brexit obviously other factors have contributed, or are you unaware of Covid and the war in Ukraine I really didn’t think I would need to spell that out, but of course Brexit has contributed anyone with the modicum of knowledge would realise that. Please explain why we are much worse off than any other the countries in the EU since Brexit, or of course you can always try denying it or pretending it hasn’t happened as most Brexiteers seem to do. And of course the generation I was talking about are mainly institutionalised racist that unfortunately was normal for the time they grew up in 40s, 50s, 60s, and even the 70s, let’s not forget in those decades people from different ethnic backgrounds were a very small percentage to now and wouldn’t have tipped the balance in the slightest on those who are white indigenous and are mainly institutionalised racist, of which I include myself in that category all though every day I do try to change my thoughts and I’m very much guided fortunately by my children. 

2 hours ago, RPG said:

The link I posted referred to Germany taking up the title of the sick man of Europe - with supporting data in the article for how Germany deserves the title. I think that provides all the answer you need. So, Germany is in a worse position than the UK for starters which shoots down your argument again.

All countries are suffering but Germany is not suffering by 'in the main Brexit' as you stated in your initial reply. To try to mainly blame Brexit for Germany's economic demise is inaccurate and unfair. I am pleased to see you retract that statement. Of course, as I have already previously stated, Ukraine and Covid-19 has impacted the economy's of all countries and is the reason that the UK has seen higher interest rates - nothing to do with Brexit. The ECB has a rate of 4.0% with further rate hikes signalled, USA is at 5.0% with further rate hikes signalled and UK is also at 5.0% with further rate hikes signalled. Inflation in those areas is running at 7.0%, 4.0% and 6.5% (CPIH) respectively. So we are doing better than EU and comparable with USA in the global battle against inflation. For reference with the rest of the world, Turkey has inflation of 40% and an interest rate of 15%, Australia has an interest rate of 4.1% and inflation of 7.8% with further interest rate rises signalled.

So, we are not doing worse than all other countries in the EU (as you wrongly stated) and we are doing considerably better than or comparable with most countries on the world stage - which is the post brexit benchmark.

It would, however, be a big mistake to look at selected figures in isolation. For example, inflation in Russia at the moment is only 2.5% see https://tradingeconomics.com/russia/inflation-cpi but you would not really want to be holding or buying Roubles at the moment.

Change is always the same. Some people will welcome it, embrace it and make a great success of it. Some may not welcome it but are still smart enough to make a success of it. Then there are the people who desperately cling to the past and look for any reason to try to undermine the future. Those that accept the new reality and adapt to it best will be the one's who thrive and prosper.

The future of the UK is to be successful on the global stage, free of any dictats imposed by the United States of Europe.

Why talk about countries out of the EU and how poor their economies are that just proves that you are better off in the EU when discussing what is more economically advantageous, and out of 28 countries in the EU when Britain left we suffered considerable more and still are. But not saying the world in general isn’t feeling the effects of other outside factors to their economies, but of all the EU economies at the time of Brexit ours is by far the worst and getting worse every day. The magnificent trade deals we were promised with the biggest economies out side of the EU never materialised, so in desperation Truss and Johnson signed trade agreements with smaller countries that didn’t benefit us at all instead they had the opposite effect, further desperation to try and prove Brexit a success when the reality is it’s an utter disaster. 

1 hour ago, RPG said:

The rest of the world is relevant as that is our post brexit benchmark.

I disagree that we would be better off had we stayed in the EU but, even if we were not better off, I would still be in favour of brexit. You spoke about considering future generations, but to stay in the EU just to make a Euro would be selling the freedom of our future UK generations - totally the opposite of what previous UK generations fought to protect and preserve for us.

The Common Market/EEC/EU spent 43 years stripping the UK of its manufacturing assets and attempting to take away its sovereignty one cm at a time and it will take time to undo all that damage Maybe you and I won't see the full benefit in our lifetimes (though I am confident we will see some) but that is a price I am prepared to pay as a debt of honour to previous generations and because of our responsibility to future UK generations.

Not going to respond for a day or 2 not long come out the operating theatre with my full right knee replacement. Catch up with you tomorrow hopefully. On predict-a text and nearly pressed honey instead of hopefully, now that would have been a first for the Brexiteers and remainers living in harmony 😂

1 minute ago, RPG said:

Get well soon. I had no idea you were going under the knife. No doubt we will continue our verbal sparring soon.

Thanks mate I hope to. But do you ever get the feeling that we are going over old ground all over again. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Not going to respond for a day or 2 not long come out the operating theatre with my full right knee replacement. Catch up with you tomorrow hopefully. On predict-a text and nearly pressed honey instead of hopefully, now that would have been a first for the Brexiteers and remainers living in harmony 😂

Get fit soon and do all the physio. My brother had a knee replacement a couple of years ago, the operation area was a picture 😮

46 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Get fit soon and do all the physio. My brother had a knee replacement a couple of years ago, the operation area was a picture 😮

Cheers mate. I have seen what the scaring looks like and I’m contemplating what tattoo I can have to turn it into a work of art. All ideas will be considered. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Matt said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67506641

Immigration jumping 100000 in a year?! But we took back control right? Unless, we always had control of our borders and it was all just a fear campaign for votes??? :o

I said before the vote that if we left the EU emigration would rocket well above the numbers we currently had whilst in the EUROZONE, I also said we would end up with immigrants from countries in the world where we were unable to check their history so not knowing what they’ve done in the countries they have come from. I remember the arguments I had with Rusty nail and a couple of others who were adamant that with the so say control of our borders immigration would fall below 10,000. Only the gullible would believe anything Boris said which isn’t great for this country when you think he got 52% of the votes, oh well live and learn folks. 

• 4 weeks later...

Lordy🤯

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1849136/eu-countries-britain-transport

Scheming EU countries leave UK out of 'landmark' transport plans as map reveals betrayal

Those devious bastards, why should we be left out of this?:shakingfist: 

Oh, wait a minute:unsure:

(If we'd been included in it the express would no doubt be up in arms that we were still subject to EU dictats😂)

21 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Lordy🤯

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1849136/eu-countries-britain-transport

Scheming EU countries leave UK out of 'landmark' transport plans as map reveals betrayal

Those devious bastards, why should we be left out of this?:shakingfist: 

Oh, wait a minute:unsure:

(If we'd been included in it the express would no doubt be up in arms that we were still subject to EU dictats😂)

Saw that on Twatter. This society seems to actually revel in its idiocy and ignorance. 

We had a Christmas quiz and my answer upset folks a bit. Question was "how many people would rather send a message on social media rather than see the actual person if they could". They all answered between 5-10% whilst I said 70%. "Oh you're such a cynic, you really don't think much of this country, you should be more respectful..." etc etc

62% in 2022 by the way. 

23 minutes ago, Matt said:

Saw that on Twatter. This society seems to actually revel in its idiocy and ignorance. 

We had a Christmas quiz and my answer upset folks a bit. Question was "how many people would rather send a message on social media rather than see the actual person if they could". They all answered between 5-10% whilst I said 70%. "Oh you're such a cynic, you really don't think much of this country, you should be more respectful..." etc etc

62% in 2022 by the way. 

I'm not even sure it's just this country tbh. People in general are like that these days. It's quite sad.