IGNORED

Crystal Palace (Away) Saturday January 21st

markjazzbassist

That's confidence. As long as we don't slacken off, it's good to be cock sure. Confidence breeds more wins which breeds more confidence...

Disagree.

Cock sure is arrogance. Which is complete over confidence. At 0-0, you can't really afford to do it. And, while I'm happy with how we are doing, we certainly aren't at a level to start being 'cock sure'. I never want to see us be like that.

But then I'm not a fan of arrogance to be honest.

All good though.

Guest rusty747

Take your point Newty but I think we need to differentiate between unjustified, character defect arrogance and a justifiable confidence in a system and each other that manifests itself in an aura of arrogance when the players are on the pitch. That aura has to be earned and, whilst we are not there yet, a little of it starting to creep into our play is no bad thing.

It's like the great Everton teams of 1984-87. Whenever they went a goal down they just smiled, sneered, dug in and believed that they would come back and win by 3-1 or 4-1 - and invariably, they did! But it took a lot of hard work too.

Edited by rusty747

Take your point Newty but I think we need to differentiate between unjustified, character defect arrogance and a justifiable confidence in a system and each other that manifests itself in an aura of arrogance when the players are on the pitch. That aura has to be earned and, whilst we are not there yet, a little of it starting to creep into our play is no bad thing.

It's like the great Everton teams of 1984-87. Whenever they went a goal down they just smiled, sneered, dug in and believed that they would come back and win by 3-1 or 4-1 - and invariably, they did! But it took a lot of hard work too.

You justify my whole point with the bit in bold! :lol:

Disagree.

Cock sure is arrogance. Which is complete over confidence. At 0-0, you can't really afford to do it. And, while I'm happy with how we are doing, we certainly aren't at a level to start being 'cock sure'. I never want to see us be like that.

But then I'm not a fan of arrogance to be honest.

All good though.

Agree with this. The danger is that you get your good win over Man City and then 'assume' that you are going to beat the teams in the lower reaches of the league. You only need four or five players to think they can win by only giving 80% and you find yourself losing games you should be winning.

John Stones' infamous turn was unjustified arrogance. Our play in the final ten minutes against city was justifiable arrogance. I take Newty's point about doing this at 0-0, but I agree that the right type of confidence, bordering on arrogance, is a good thing.

Newty: Like you, I cannot abide arrogance at the personal level, but I suspect we're talking two different things - as rusty has pointed out.

John Stones' infamous turn was unjustified arrogance. Our play in the final ten minutes against city was justifiable arrogance. I take Newty's point about doing this at 0-0, but I agree that the right type of confidence, bordering on arrogance, is a good thing.

Newty: Like you, I cannot abide arrogance at the personal level, but I suspect we're talking two different things - as rusty has pointed out.

Yeah I think so too.

No probs.

• 3 weeks later...

Just caught up with this via 20 min highlights on Everton TV, very decent performance. Hadn't realised we left it so late.

Apparently the first time since 2002 that we've gone a calendar month without conceding a league goal. Koeman got to be manager of the month, nobody else has got nine points.

Just noticed that the Swansea manager got it. Perfect sense, he did well and got three wins (along with a 4-0 loss) so nine points, well played. Scored seven and conceded eight.

We score eight, concede none, beat City 4-0 and have 100% record on our way to nine points; no contest.

Maybe if we'd played 31st Jan instead of 1st Feb v Stoke ten points would've swung it our way.

Joke.