IGNORED

Midfield

On 12/01/2020 at 02:52, markjazzbassist said:

davies is clearly the best mid of the morgan, gylfi, delph bunch we are stuck with until gomes and gbamin are fit.  he's gotta start all the matches for now.  toss up between gylfi and delph for the second spot for now.  

I think calling any of them best is a push. They all seem to take a turn each week at being worse than the other. 

Something I’ve had going around in my head lately.

If you are moshiri brands and Carlo, are you looking to say gbamin and Gomes and thinking this is the midfield future. We have a lot of money and contracts invested in them, let’s wait till the summer when they are fit and give it a go.  No signing now, get to the summer and offload Morgan gylfi and then you got Davies Delph Beni to be backups.

or are they thinking the possibly money lost this year would be more than the sunk costs on those players so getting another mid now would be worth it to try and get top 7.  You hope Gomes and gbamin are back but treat it like they might not and reinforce now.  

I’m thinking option 2 there,  buy one solid mid now and have 3 solid mids next year with Delph and Davies the average guys to spell injuries and the like.  Sell the rest.  Carlo does like playing 2 Centre mids so 3 good ones would make sense.

13 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Something I’ve had going around in my head lately.

If you are moshiri brands and Carlo, are you looking to say gbamin and Gomes and thinking this is the midfield future. We have a lot of money and contracts invested in them, let’s wait till the summer when they are fit and give it a go.  No signing now, get to the summer and offload Morgan gylfi and then you got Davies Delph Beni to be backups.

or are they thinking the possibly money lost this year would be more than the sunk costs on those players so getting another mid now would be worth it to try and get top 7.  You hope Gomes and gbamin are back but treat it like they might not and reinforce now.  

I’m thinking option 2 there,  buy one solid mid now and have 3 solid mids next year with Delph and Davies the average guys to spell injuries and the like.  Sell the rest.  Carlo does like playing 2 Centre mids so 3 good ones would make sense.

We also need to think about who can play well in a 2 man midfield if that is the plan. Gomes has probably played most of his career in a 3 and struggles defensively so I'm not sure how well that will work and Gbamin looked, in the brief glimpse we had of him, that he would be a better holding midfielder behind 2 rather than 1 of 2 in midfield. 

The other issue with Gbamin is that the videos I saw of him and what I saw of him in games is that he isn't the greatest of passers and if so Carlo won't want him trying to dictate the tempo of the game as a deep lying playmaker as he has before. 

I have no idea how our midfield would look in order for it to be consistently successful in this shape under Ancellotti. Add in that 3 of the current crop are 30, Davies clearly isn't of the level to play week in week out and Beni doesn't appear up to it. 

I think the whole lot with teams exception of the two currently crocked need to be moved on or to the bench at best.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

think the whole lot with teams exception of the two currently crocked need to be moved on or to the bench at best.

Sadly I think you’re right,  and I think we get Gomes and Gbamin back and wait till the summer before we jump into the market for a MF or 2  

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Sadly I think you’re right,  and I think we get Gomes and Gbamin back and wait till the summer before we jump into the market for a MF or 2  

I think there’s too much money on the line. If we could sign a RW and CM now we could push for top 7 maybe even Europa.  That’s a difference of 10m in prize/tv money not to mention the Europa money.  I would think that could cover those players not to mention we have money alotted for the window.  

20 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

I think there’s too much money on the line. If we could sign a RW and CM now we could push for top 7 maybe even Europa.  That’s a difference of 10m in prize/tv money not to mention the Europa money.  I would think that could cover those players not to mention we have money alotted for the window.  

Good point