IGNORED

Midfield

On 20/12/2019 at 15:31, markjazzbassist said:

not sure if this is a joke, he was a spurs and played for them.  plenty good enough.

Catching up on some threads post the holidays.

In Sig's first season with Spurs they finished 5th. In his second season we got 5th and finished above Spurs who got 6th.  He was then sold to Swansea...  So strictly speaking it wasn't a joke from nogs when he was talking about him not being up to the level of Top 4 teams.

Would sell Siggy and Morgan in January and bring in some players but not sure anyone would be looking to pick them up as both are on big wages and older.  Certainly a tricky one for Brands to sort out as we are short in the midfield for various reasons.

He’s another waste of money on big wages that we won’t be able to shift, add him to Gylfi Schneiderlin Sandro Tosun Niasse and matey from Palace who’s name as completely been erased from my memory and we are looking at over 600k a week, and who in there right minds will take any of them on a free if they had to pay their wages not many, and you can bet that those who have a couple of years left on their contracts won’t rip them up to go somewhere else for less money.  

Delph it utter dog shit. Never liked him as a player the whole time he's been around and was devastated that we signed him. It's pretty clear from seeing the fella up close (when he can stay fit) that the only reason City had him there was to meet the homegrown quota.

Just more shit to add to the pile of shit we already had.

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Delph it utter dog shit. Never liked him as a player the whole time he's been around and was devastated that we signed him. It's pretty clear from seeing the fella up close (when he can stay fit) that the only reason City had him there was to meet the homegrown quota.

agreed totally.  never wanted him either and it's a serious black mark against Brands.  never fit, slow, offers nothing.  i would have rather put Beni out there.

6 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I liked him at Villa when he had potential, but numerous injuries have seriously damaged his career. The fee we got him for in this market tells you everything you need to know about him. 

On 05/01/2020 at 21:47, c1982 said:

Easy to say now but surely Davies and Delph would have offered more ‘bite’ and Sidibe as a right winger?! Wing-back yes but he stunk the place out against rookie opposition in a position where we had many other options!

I don't think anything would have changed personally! 

On 05/01/2020 at 22:28, Bill said:

Could have played Keane in a 4-4-2 and played Holgate with Davies in the middle of the mid 4. Team selection cost us that game today.

Coleman.  Keane.  Mina.  Digne

Walcott. Holgate. Davies. Bernard.

DCL.       Richie.

If you want to play like Ferguson this would have been spot on. That team wouldn’t have fared any better in trying to play out from midfield. Holgate would have been destroyed on the ball but at least he might have got close enough to them to make a tackle!

Where's Banigime?  Maybe just blue tinted glasses, but I thought he showed great promise under Unsy last time.  Thought he was due to get in under Dunc but then got injured.  No longer listed as injured on the official site, maybe just Carlo hasn't had a chance to run the rule over any of the young players?  Maybe he's not ready (or won't be), but hard to imagine he'd be less mobile or more of a liability than the usual suspects right now.

On 08/01/2020 at 15:55, chicagoblue said:

Where's Banigime?  Maybe just blue tinted glasses, but I thought he showed great promise under Unsy last time.  Thought he was due to get in under Dunc but then got injured.  No longer listed as injured on the official site, maybe just Carlo hasn't had a chance to run the rule over any of the young players?  Maybe he's not ready (or won't be), but hard to imagine he'd be less mobile or more of a liability than the usual suspects right now.

Just got back from injury.  Maybe a loan is next?

On 06/01/2020 at 09:40, Romey 1878 said:

Got to say I was wrong. I’ve had a week off the forum after the derby just felt like it was just a piss take. I was gutted tons more in the dystin semi when we got beat like but this was a different shit. Then I read the aftermath and it killed me off. Delph is an average player. I’m sure Carlo has seen better players in his street. If carlo is committed then I’m all for him getting rid of that whole midfield 

10 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

We need sign only one player in this window: a real bulldog in midfield. I’d be happy with that. 

Those players just don’t exist anymore sadly. 
I don’t see any Vieira or Keane anywhere in the league. I don’t even remember the last time I saw a midfielder really dominate a game in the PL, it was probably Gerrard. 

Centrally 

Schneiderlin - Doesnt offer anything really, a shadow of the player who could turn the ball over so effectively 

Delph - A piss poor man's Barry, not good enough 

Davies - Odd moments of decency to then be undone by utter shite passes and decisions, not and won't ever be good enough as a starter imo 

Sigurdsson - I've never classed him as a central midfielder as such more of a number 10, he's statistically great but just seems to float through games

Gomes - Baaaaadly missed!!!

Gbamin - Jury's still out obviously due to lack of playing time 

Overall that's a pretty piss poor set of players to rely on imo bar Gomes and possibly Gbamin, personally I'd like to see the back of them all bar Davies purely due to low wages and being a squad player 

Until the summer window Carlo is severely limited with how he can set this side up without including such players 

Always been a Davies fan, but unfortunately I’m starting to see what many have said. He is average and doesn’t show any signs of improving. 

Gomes speaks for himself. Missing him.

Sigurdson... I don’t know what to say. Captain today. Half expected him to take a corner and try to pass it back to Pickford.

Walcott. Just annoys me to see his name on the sheet.

Bernard is starting to get up to ice with the premier league now and is looking great.

Iwobi. I really want to like him and see something special. But I don’t tho k he has the ability. He is as good as he is ever going to get. 

We need either Alan Ball, Peter Reid, or even a Carsley type.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Always been a Davies fan, but unfortunately I’m starting to see what many have said. He is average and doesn’t show any signs of improving. 

I thought he was decent today, one of his better games.....but it was only Brighton so I don't think he can take us to the level we want to be at. Could be a modern day Alan Harper from the bench though maybe, love for him to stay and succeed because his uncle was a proper hero of mine.

Thought Davies played well today, certainly in the first 60 minutes he kept driving us forward. His passing was good and he blocked the passing lanes and put some good tackles in.

He is not a natural defensive midfielder and it shows, he is more of a box to box player, but against Brighton he coped fine.

Its difficult playing with Siggy because although he was better today he is not a midfielder and anyone playing with Siggy in midfield has to keep an eye on him and cover any mistakes he makes.

I would like to see Davies play with Gomes or Gambin.

7 hours ago, London Blue said:

Thought Davies played well today, certainly in the first 60 minutes he kept driving us forward. His passing was good and he blocked the passing lanes and put some good tackles in.

He is not a natural defensive midfielder and it shows, he is more of a box to box player, but against Brighton he coped fine.

Its difficult playing with Siggy because although he was better today he is not a midfielder and anyone playing with Siggy in midfield has to keep an eye on him and cover any mistakes he makes.

I would like to see Davies play with Gomes or Gambin.

I think those as a three (in a 4-3-3) could work quite well.