IGNORED

Guitar

MikeO

26 minutes ago, tonkaroost said:

I looked at their necks and it looks like they really only cater to Fender?

they do custom stuff to.  i'd email/ask and give them the specs you want (nut width, neck shape [U, C, B, etc.] finish, woods etc) and then just say i want a flying V replacement, i'm sure they've done it before they are the biggest replacement neck/body/part seller in the country.

26 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

they do custom stuff to.  i'd email/ask and give them the specs you want (nut width, neck shape [U, C, B, etc.] finish, woods etc) and then just say i want a flying V replacement, i'm sure they've done it before they are the biggest replacement neck/body/part seller in the country.

Excellent info. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Got around to playing it in anger today. Guy I know well owns a music shop and I need an amp and stuff so took it to see him; he was mighty impressed. Said I'd be pushing £500 (inc case) for equivalent "new" and mine was was much better quality build; tracking the serial number I've found that it was made in 2003 in the "Peerless" factory in Korea which has an excellent reputation. Beautiful sound, even with me playing it:lol:. I just need to negotiate with the boss how much I can spend amp-wise:unsure:.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

classic british amp mike.  along with Vox and Orange the holy trinity of british valves (tubes for us americans).  great sound.

I just remember looking at Marshall stacks at (virtually) every gig I ever went to Mark; it's an iconic name and logo as you say. If someone had told me thirty years ago that one day I'd have a guitar that said "Gibson" on it along with a Marshall amp I'd have I'd have forgone the women and ale and stayed home practising. Maybe:lol:.

48 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I just remember looking at Marshall stacks at (virtually) every gig I ever went to Mark; it's an iconic name and logo as you say. If someone had told me thirty years ago that one day I'd have a guitar that said "Gibson" on it along with a Marshall amp I'd have I'd have forgone the women and ale and stayed home practising. Maybe:lol:.

my brother plays guitar and his first and still only amp is a marshall.  longtime friend i had a band with for 5 years had one as well.  they are massively popular and have a great sound not to mention most are bullet proof.  beer spills, drops, run them over, etc. and they still work.

On 9/30/2017 at 14:15, rubecula said:

for you Mike 

In the 1950's my Dad invented a device which was an aid to learning to play the guitar. It was called 'Sort-a-Chord'.  It was marketed through a music shop in Leeds Centre.  I think it sold six.

I recently saw a similar device advertised, don't know how successful it is.

9 minutes ago, johnh said:

How painful is it for those who live next door?

Sore point; next door are a total pain in the arse. They complained about us being noisy via the local council rather than knocking on the door (while I was going through treatment and effectively deaf). Then they complained about overhanging trees via their letting agent (while they're legally allowed to remove anything like that themselves; when they got people in to do it we happily gave them access to our garden). They have no idea of the pain that's going to rain down on them once the amp arrives;).

Woman has also been abusive to my wife more than once; think I may buy Josh a drum kit to wind up the volume:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-09-29 at 19:38, markjazzbassist said:

yeah the dot is the 335 style.  nice thing about those guitars is if you like it but wanted to change the sound you can always swap out pickups.  also check out

Guild Starfire

Hofner Verythin (european so might be able to get a good deal or used)

Hagstrom Viking (also european)

Ibanez AS73 (Japanese but they are made well, had a friend i recorded a record with who had one, sounded great)

Hagström is a Swedish brand, they started by making accordions. Their guitars are top notch and very beautiful. (But also very expensive)

I have an Epiphone Dot in sunburst. Lovely looking guitar and really comfy to play. If you change the mics to higher end versions you get a very very good guitar for fairly little money.

43 minutes ago, Peter H said:

Lovely looking guitar and really comfy to play.

It is. I stupidly bought quite a cheap strap initially and it would slip on my shoulder all the time so effort was needed to keep the guitar in place; picked up a decent quality leather one this morning and the difference is night and day. Just been blowing my head off with Jumpin Jack Flash through the headphones:P (still on the easy stuff).

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

It is. I stupidly bought quite a cheap strap initially and it would slip on my shoulder all the time so effort was needed to keep the guitar in place; picked up a decent quality leather one this morning and the difference is night and day. Just been blowing my head off with Jumpin Jack Flash through the headphones:P (still on the easy stuff).

Its a great riff lol