IGNORED

The Wine thread

Watched something yesterday where they were discussing the merits of drinking chilled red, I personally like it at room temperature and that for me gives it more complex flavours, I have a wine fridge one half for white at 5 degrees and other half for red at 18 degrees but I it's warm and I open a bottle of red straight out the fridge at 18 degrees it feels to cold for me so I have to leave it a while to warm a bit.

Who's drunk chilled red and how did it go.

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Watched something yesterday where they were discussing the merits of drinking chilled red, I personally like it at room temperature and that for me gives it more complex flavours, I have a wine fridge one half for white at 5 degrees and other half for red at 18 degrees but I it's warm and I open a bottle of red straight out the fridge at 18 degrees it feels to cold for me so I have to leave it a while to warm a bit.

Who's drunk chilled red and how did it go.

I like it room temperature as well, red that is. I’ve heard about people chilling them and it’s big over here right now but I’m old school.

Why would anyone chill a red?! It changes the way the tanins are able to react and mutes the flavour. White and rose chilled I get, but red (provided you want the full flavour of it) needs to be room temp, depending of course how warm the room is! 15-18c is what I’ve been told, and opened and decanted a minimum of 30 mins beforehand

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Why would anyone chill a red?! It changes the way the tanins are able to react and mutes the flavour. White and rose chilled I get, but red (provided you want the full flavour of it) needs to be room temp, depending of course how warm the room is! 15-18c is what I’ve been told, and opened and decanted a minimum of 30 mins beforehand

All depends on the varietal and style. The vast majority of reds should be consumed at room temp, but there are a few that are totally ok to drink slightly cooler (and you're right that it's about the tannins). They should all be stored slightly below room temp as well (55-60 Fahrenheit).

https://www.eater.com/2016/8/17/12519014/red-wine-chilled

42 minutes ago, nyblue23 said:

All depends on the varietal and style. The vast majority of reds should be consumed at room temp, but there are a few that are totally ok to drink slightly cooler (and you're right that it's about the tannins). They should all be stored slightly below room temp as well (55-60 Fahrenheit).

https://www.eater.com/2016/8/17/12519014/red-wine-chilled

Rubbish opinions like that (Matt Pridgen's, not you nyblue) probably explain why "Underbelly" has shut down:lol:. The place is now The Hay Merchant (Craft Food and Beer). Same owner but completely re-branded and doesn't sell a single wine as far as I can see (at any temperature).

I love the internet:P.

5 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Rubbish opinions like that (Matt Pridgen's, not you nyblue) probably explain why "Underbelly" has shut down:lol:. The place is now The Hay Merchant (Craft Food and Beer). Same owner but completely re-branded and doesn't sell a single wine as far as I can see (at any temperature).

I love the internet:P.

Hah. Touche. Still think a slightly chilled light red (think garnacha) is pretty delicious.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
8 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

my wonderful wife got me a subscription to a wine club for christmas (she doesn't drink).  got the first case earlier this month and case 2 arrives tomorrow.  enjoying a nice malbec now.  i've been drinking quite a bit more during the pandemic, nothing to do, eh bottle of red it is.

That’s a great present mate sometimes someone selecting wines for you based on your tastes is a great way to discover wines you would ordinarily not come across or thought of buying. 
I was wondering why you’re posts were getting more and more weird at least we now know🍷🍷🍷😂

13 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

my wonderful wife got me a subscription to a wine club for christmas (she doesn't drink).  got the first case earlier this month and case 2 arrives tomorrow.  enjoying a nice malbec now.  i've been drinking quite a bit more during the pandemic, nothing to do, eh bottle of red it is.

Great gift. I was unaware of this thread, but certainly we could probably all add a lot more to a "booze thread" after 2020...

Mark, I've never found a Malbec I could enjoy much - Do you have other wino friends that have opinions on them? I'm curious if most people are like me with a binary (I "like" or "don't like") Malbecs. 

As for me, I've found Tempranillos (and Spanish wine in general) to be good value for money. The tempranillo is full-bodied and tasty, but isn't as in your face as a lot of my local California reds...

1 hour ago, Quinn31 said:

Great gift. I was unaware of this thread, but certainly we could probably all add a lot more to a "booze thread" after 2020...

Mark, I've never found a Malbec I could enjoy much - Do you have other wino friends that have opinions on them? I'm curious if most people are like me with a binary (I "like" or "don't like") Malbecs. 

As for me, I've found Tempranillos (and Spanish wine in general) to be good value for money. The tempranillo is full-bodied and tasty, but isn't as in your face as a lot of my local California reds...

Yeah it’s a love hate thing with Malbec.  I find South American wines have more body and spice due to their soil composition and climate.  I really love them but I’m in the minority.  Although they are getting more cred on the international market as they make a lot of bulk wines that many companies use to blend.

I like Spanish wines too and yes Tempranillo are wonderful.  California wines are more expensive it seems since they are so well regarded so I am always trying “b market” wines like Spain, Argentina, Chile, South Africa, etc.  had a wonderful South African Cabernet last week.  All summer I was drinking this Portuguese wine varietal called vinho verde.  It’s slightly sparkling and dry so it’s kinda like champagne but can be had way cheaper.

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Yeah it’s a love hate thing with Malbec.  I find South American wines have more body and spice due to their soil composition and climate.  I really love them but I’m in the minority.  Although they are getting more cred on the international market as they make a lot of bulk wines that many companies use to blend.

I like Spanish wines too and yes Tempranillo are wonderful.  California wines are more expensive it seems since they are so well regarded so I am always trying “b market” wines like Spain, Argentina, Chile, South Africa, etc.  had a wonderful South African Cabernet last week.  All summer I was drinking this Portuguese wine varietal called vinho verde.  It’s slightly sparkling and dry so it’s kinda like champagne but can be had way cheaper.

Dammit, had a great post ready to go based on you spelling mistake but you went and corrected it:shakingfist:

1 hour ago, Quinn31 said:

I’m 100% a Rioja drinker when it comes to reds great with red meats and good cheeses. 
If you can get your hands of a bottle Marques de Riscal Reserva grab it you won’t be disappointed if you like a good Spanish red, I’ve tried hundreds and still probably the best I’ve found, just talking about makes me want to open one 👌

14 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Having a Zinfandel, Paso Robles California, Beckett Brothers. It is open from Christmas dinner but still drinking well.

i've been to wine country in paso robles, it's really nice.  basically in California, Napa Valley is king for wines, but because of this the prices are super high.  All of these other areas have begun to do really well because of this.  So "B" markets (i hesitate to even call them that since they make excellent wines) like Paso Robles and Lodi are now making world class wines but are more affordable because they don't have the "napa" location.

8 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i've been to wine country in paso robles, it's really nice.  basically in California, Napa Valley is king for wines, but because of this the prices are super high.  All of these other areas have begun to do really well because of this.  So "B" markets (i hesitate to even call them that since they make excellent wines) like Paso Robles and Lodi are now making world class wines but are more affordable because they don't have the "napa" location.

Sounds like the Champagne region of France just because of the name you are paying an extra £15-£20 for there sparkling whites compared to other regions in Europe who’s wines are as equally as good and in some cases better. 

• 4 months later...

Just opened a bottle CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2017 by HAWKSTONE NAPA VALLEY, don’t drink much New World wines but must say sitting in the sun with a BBQ Ribeye and all the trimmings this is very quaffable, hats off to California great bottle of wine for not silly money 💰 🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷

I actually joined Naked Wines last month with a £30 off first order and took their choice of bottles, so I think I paid around £25 for six bottles. Every one of them was different gravy from anything you can get for under a tenner in the supermarket, though I have to admit Carl that that Co-op offering sounds interesting. I was at an expenses paid for dinner while working in Birmingham (first stop on a tour) in 1978 when I realised good wine was a bit different from the stuff you got in Arthur Cooper's offys for about 79p (Rocamar was the cheap option back then). I'd probably be frowned on by purists because I only ever have a glass or two then leave it for 24 hours before finishing the next day but fuck it, what do I care?

5 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I'd probably be frowned on by purists because I only ever have a glass or two then leave it for 24 hours before finishing the next day but fuck it, what do I care?

Fuck all wrong with that mate I only wish I had the will power to put the cork back in the bottle and do the same sometimes. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/05/2021 at 20:32, MikeO said:

Arthur Cooper's offys for about 79p (Rocamar was the cheap option back then). 

Brings back memories. Used to frequent a chain called Bottoms Up in the 70s/80s. Bought rock bottom priced Argentinian wine boxes during the Falklands conflict. Probably wouldn't now but being young and buying first house savings had to come from somewhere.