IGNORED

Lille

Romey 1878

I think we will get a better idea of where we are at after the Porto game, that was obviously our second string side and whilst it would have bene nice to win (and we should have done with the Klaasen offside) it's good to see some of the kids holding their own against a well drilled Lille side. 

Porto have problems behind the scenes, they are selling players and not replacing them with fans very angry about money not being spent on the side, they only have one fully fit, established centre-back so I'm expecting a win tomorrow. 

As for today, Besic stood out as MOTM. I always wonder what would have happened to him if he didn't get that horrendous injury in pre-season two years back, for me he should be in the side every week and hopefully this is the season he establishes himself. He's way too good for the likes of Middlesbrough where he ended up last campaign.

Stek I thought was poor, the sooner Pickford is off his jollies the better. Robinson was exciting, Kenny was stable and Williams can do one because I loathe him. 

Connelly was OK, not bad for his age I suppose. Klaasen did very well and seems to be slowly finding his feet with us, Niasse unfortunately showed us tonight why he will be nothing more than a luxury squad player. Gives 110% every week which I love but should have done so much better with his chances and blazed his penalty so high I'm sure some little green fella on Mars has a headache. 

A teeny tiny bit underwhelmed, but the real game is tomorrow and there were enough positives to keep me in good spirits. 

Caught the highlights. No-one stood out in those in a positive way bar Besic and Kenny. Mirallas looked like he was positive when he came on too.

Id be pretty ready to throw Stek, Williams and Pennington on the scrap heap. Klaassen just doesnt seem to get himself involved in the game which I just fond Bizarre for a guy of his quality and experience. 

Niasse looks like he should have had a few today. 

Lets also hope we dont have to go to penalties too often this season. They were all poor, albeit Vlasic's was only a millimetre out from being perfect.

The thing with Klaassen that makes me think there is something there is the way he passes the ball and how quickly he spots the pass. He seems to be able to play defence splitting passes in a flash.

He doesn't seem the type to dribble time after time with the ball but he certainly seems to know how to make the pass. Whether that's enough to make it, probably isn'tt.

I'm also confused about how Niasse is being rated around the web etc for last night. He was poor. Many times he either fell over the ball, misplaced a pass or just didn't have the quality required. Not sure how he came out with good ratings.

With a bit of reflection, that team last night was made up of a lot of 'on the fence' players and many have not done themselves too much good. The cameras went to Silva at one point in the second half and he looked blatantly obviously pissed off!!!

3 hours ago, Newty82 said:

The thing with Klaassen that makes me think there is something there is the way he passes the ball and how quickly he spots the pass. He seems to be able to play defence splitting passes in a flash.

He doesn't seem the type to dribble time after time with the ball but he certainly seems to know how to make the pass. Whether that's enough to make it, probably isn'ttt.

I'm also confused about how Niasse is being rated around the web etc for last night. He was poor. Many times he either fell over the ball, misplaced a pass or just didn't have the quality required. Not sure how he came out with good ratings.

With a bit of reflection, that team last night was made up of a lot of 'on the fence' players and many have not done themselves too much good. The cameras went to Silva at one point in the second half and he looked blatantly obviously pissed off!!!

Klaassen is a very strange one. I really don't know what to make of him. Technically he is clearly an excellent player, I think he has very good vision as well but you can go through long periods of the game without him doing anything. I am not saying he stands, there hands on hips, he is always on the move but he has no influence on the game at all.

I would love to see him in a string of 5 or 6 games, playing a mix of CM or AM and then work out whether him being in the team has a positive effect on possession / chances / goals etc compared to when he isn'tt in it. It might just be that the things he does, don't catch the eye, and also whether after playing along side him time after time, helps his team mates find him more regularly in good positions.

54 minutes ago, Bailey said:

It might just be that the things he does, don't catch the eye, and also whether after playing along side him time after time, helps his team mates find him more regularly in good positions.

That sums up his main problem, the players around him don't read the game as well.