IGNORED

Rafa Silva

2 hours ago, Matt said:

So someone already a regular in a Champions League team then?

i get your jest but if we want a 28 year old vet who should come in today and play for 43m pounds there are plenty of other options of players that will integrate better.  he's never left portugal, gonna be a massive learning curve at his age.  also in the COVID depleted market it's an insane amount of money.  Allan was CL regular and had played in a top league, he was cheaper.  Same with James.  Richarlison was a younger prem proven and same price.  i think this is a fake, probably the agent trying to drum up interest.  doesn't sound like a signing brands or carlo would make.

29 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i get your jest but if we want a 28 year old vet who should come in today and play for 43m pounds there are plenty of other options of players that will integrate better.  he's never left portugal, gonna be a massive learning curve at his age.  also in the COVID depleted market it's an insane amount of money.  Allan was CL regular and had played in a top league, he was cheaper.  Same with James.  Richarlison was a younger prem proven and same price.  i think this is a fake, probably the agent trying to drum up interest.  doesn't sound like a signing brands or carlo would make.

Agree with all of this. We need pace in this squad desperately but we need to be finding the kind of value that Leeds did with Raphinha - £17m was an incredible piece of business especially when you see Arsenal spending 3 or even 4 times that on Pepe. We won’t be spending £43m or whatever on a 28year old winger with no Premier League experience and actually not the most illustrious international/Champions League career.

38 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Fair points well made :)

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I’m not sure a player of 28 can be considered a veteran. 

Would Rafa be a good signing? Probably. Do I want us to sign him? No. 

The main attributes of his are blazing speed (so much show that he is nicknamed ''The Flash'') and technique on the ball - two attributes that you could find in an upcoming talent around the continent and South America if you looked hard enough. The Portuguese League is so hard to judge players in, because most of the time they're up against sides that would struggle in the English lower leagues, it's very easy to look good in a Benfica side (who are the richest in the country) against the likes of Tondela, Maritimo and Santa Clara who's whole team could be bought for about £1,000,000 and a bag of footballs. The only time that the ''Big Three'' are tested are when they play each other, play Braga or are in European football. 

I don't agree with us signing someone for so much money at his age too. He's not ''old'' but at 28 we'd be getting what, 2-3 seasons out of him? Plus once his contract was expiring we'd have no re-sale value, nobody in their right mind is going to pay £43m+ for a 30 year old winger (who by then may well have lost that explosive pace). I just think that whereas this isn't a bad signing, it's one that we don't need to make and would probably not benefit from.

11 hours ago, c1982 said:

Agree with all of this. We need pace in this squad desperately but we need to be finding the kind of value that Leeds did with Raphinha - £17m was an incredible piece of business especially when you see Arsenal spending 3 or even 4 times that on Pepe. We won’t be spending £43m or whatever on a 28year old winger with no Premier League experience and actually not the most illustrious international/Champions League career.

+1.