IGNORED

Southampton (Away) 1st October

Romey 1878

We have certainly become a lot more resilient.

There were times last season where moments like Tarkowski giving away the ball will have a led to a goal but he bailed himself out, along with a couple of blocks from Mykolenko too. I feel like we are in 50/50 games at the moment, a bit like we were under Benitez early last season too. I feel like we have more resilience about us now though and I don't see us slipping up and going on a massive slide like we did and if anything, I feel like we could ride a few more of these type of games out.

Pickford didn't have a lot to do. Arguably could have got more of a hand to their goal but that's being very picky. Quality save later in the game.

Mykolenko is one I still don't really understand. Weak, slow, gives the ball away under no pressure too often, gets caught out defensively too often (when you consider he barely gets forward) but he does still pop up and make blocks. I think he probably is a centre half but in a lanky 15 year olds body.

Tarkowski had another mixed bag. Some moments of good play, some really bad ones too. The mistakes he is making will cost him sooner or later.

Coady is making me eat my words. He still has his issues when he gets exposed, but he has been very good moving into a 4. His issues come from what his body is capable of doing, whereas his mind is sharp and playing well above his actual level of ability. His passing is underrated too. Not the fancy hollywood balls the media love, but the weight and pace of the balls. He would put some of our midfielders to shame on that score. A MOTM contender.

Coleman was steady enough. Probably as good as we could have expected.

Gueye was poor on the whole. He had his moments of really good play but it was his sloppy ball that led to the goal, he was consistently wrong side of his runners and that paid at the end where he was giving away really cheap freekicks.

Onana doesn't really get too involved in games at the moment. He was pretty anonymous. He does break forward but he doesn't look natural in front of goal. It's not the worst thing for a young lad new to the league to be just quietly going about his business. He doesn't need to be doing anything flashy but I think he does need to be a little more dominant and engaged in the game.

Iwobi was class again. Another player putting me right. I wasn't sure that he would look as good when the rest of midfield got up to speed, but he looks even better. If he wasn't MOTM he was bloody close.

Gray played his usual game. Moments being near unplayable capped by moments where he fucks it up. He is the type of player that frustrates the hell out of me.

McNeil was probably a bit better than he has been. That isn't the hardest thing in the world and he took his goal really well. I saw more moments in this game where I thought he was starting to fit in but he was still encased in some dreadful moments too.

Maupay was fantastic again. He was given such poor quality balls and he made so much out of them. Don't expect Dom to come in and do that well. Our poor attacking play wasn't down to him, it was down to those behind him. I really like the lad and I hope he gets some more chances on goal. He is my other MOTM contender.

The subs offered nothing to the game. Gordon was particularly poor, giving the ball away deep in our half on one occasion.