IGNORED

Southampton (Away) 1st October

Romey 1878

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

I think both players off are the right ones. Gordon's pace will be an asset on the counter. Onana wasnt really in the game though not sure Davies is the one. Would have rather had the legs of Doucoure.

Think we need the steadiness Davies offers in MF than the Doucoure erratics 

15 minutes ago, RPG said:

Neither team played particularly well and we will need a marked improvement if we are going to get anything from the next 2 games. That said, it's 3 points, we are mid table, we have won the last 2 games and are unbeaten in 6 so definite signs of progress.

I disagree. I think defence was very good, Pickford did what he needed and actually distributed well today and the midfield was solid in our half. As soon as we went across into that final 3rd though, we were clueless.

I know I expertly tricked McNeil into scoring, but he was rubbish goal aside. DG too was rubbish, but he was at least trying and making somethings happen. Maupay was hung out to dry by us and the Ref, but was a constant pain in the ass. I do like him. 

I thought for most of the game we showed a lot of positivity in possession. Some of our football really was lovely to watch - our midfield is functioning so much better with the ball now. Our problem was that we massively let ourselves down in the final third - we looked a bit lost in that regard. We have to be better and more confident when we get near goal, but I saw enough there to know we're working on our attacking play and we will get better in that regard.

It was really pleasing to see how well we responded to going behind in comparison to last season at St Mary's. Like today, we dominated the play and then when we found ourselves a goal down we collapsed. Today was different - we were the better side, conceded (a very poor goal as well by the way - sloppy from Gueye and then we stood off their players and let them do what they wanted) but didn't let ours heads drop and instantly equalised and then quickly got ourselves in front in the game. We're made of stronger stuff this season.

Where we did let ourselves down was that upon finding ourselves in the lead we went to bits and lost all control in the game and it was very nervous from that point on.

It's three points though, and three points away from home which we've found hard to come by in recent seasons.

Places like Southampton are where maybe we think we should be able to go to and really realistically try and nick a point of three.

We bossed the  first half without really creating a great deal, then responded brilliantly to going a goal down. Once we got our noses ahead we then defended the lead away from home and got the result.  This is so so different to us last season

Plenty to be positive about. 

Great win, but it is obvious that there is still a long way to go to get to where we want to be. We lost the ball cheaply alot and the last 20mins was so nerve wracking (this is the everton way though) Still 3 points is what matters and we are undefeated in 6 games which is way better than last year.

12 minutes ago, Spoon said:

Great win, but it is obvious that there is still a long way to go to get to where we want to be. We lost the ball cheaply alot and the last 20mins was so nerve wracking (this is the everton way though) Still 3 points is what matters and we are undefeated in 6 games which is way better than last year.

We’ve got the second best defence in the league. Our leading striker is due back in the next weeks. Combinations are going to get better all over the park. Not the best performance over 90 mins today but we are a hard team to beat now. Good couple of tests coming up in the next few games and hopefully we can rise to the challenge.

It wasn’t long ago we were going to places like Southampton after win’s against Utd, Chelsea, or Arsenal and getting our arses handed back to us. So no criticism on our win from me, away from home come back from 1-0 down to win, great progress has been made today after only 8 games from a season were we nearly got relegated.