IGNORED

Man Utd (Away) FA Cup - 6/1/23

FairWooney

6 hours ago, Shukes said:

We played with a lot more effort and intensity than we have recently. 
They didn’t play us off the park at all Bailey. 
We had the ball in the last third four times as much as we usually do, and actually got the ball across into the box. We just don’t have their quality. Reducing a very good side to so few chances on goal at their home ground isn’t that bad. 

100% agree, once we have the ball we struggle. But I can’t knock them for effort tonight. They did all I wanted tonight, had a go.

They did play us off the park. They were far superior to us in every department. We play that game 100 times you get the same result almost every time. 

Yes we had the ball in their third more because they had 1 centre back and they pressed high up the pitch leaving their back 4 exposed to the counter attack. It took us far less passes to get there that it has in the games against Brighton and Wolves where we have looked pedestrian.

I think it was a game in which it was much easier for the players to "have a go" and whilst I haven't seen Southampton play yet under their new manager, I can gaurentee it will be far far different against West Ham. 

Not in any way were we played off the park. I can tell you 9k Everton fans would have told the world if we did. 

Of course they are superior, that’s just blind logic. Same as City and many teams in the league.

But what just happened over that 90 minutes was not a team just turning up and getting played off the park. It was a team that had a go and almost equalised. We had them worried, we created chance, we got behind them.

I would much prefer that performance than a Brighton performance any day.

They did not play us off the park, yes they have superior players and we’re more incisive, but the team that Frank put out gave them a game they would not have been expecting after seeing our performance on Tuesday. 
At 4 mins we could have crumbled, did we, no we came back and fought our way back into the game, and with a bit of fortune, DCL’s goal would have stood, and Maupay would have found the net, it could have been 2-3 as easily as it was 3-1. 
We still lack composure across the field, particularly up front, it stems from low confidence, we miss the confidence of Richarlison, even if he was having a bad game, he always seemed confident he would score.

It was my first proper away game, Ive been to a few hospitality games where it’s very clinical and detached from the Everton support, last night being in the middle of 9500 fervent fans was tremendous, everyone was behind the team, yes we called out mistakes, but the support for the team was 100%

I walked away with optimism, the absolute opposite to Tuesday night where it was like a zombie apocalypse.

The team and Frank need to approach every game with the same attitude, home or away, if they do we will be OK, with a few hiccups along the way.

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

Not in any way were we played off the park. I can tell you 9k Everton fans would have told the world if we did. 

Of course they are superior, that’s just blind logic. Same as City and many teams in the league.

But what just happened over that 90 minutes was not a team just turning up and getting played off the park. It was a team that had a go and almost equalised. We had them worried, we created chance, we got behind them.

100%

6 hours ago, Bailey said:

They did play us off the park.

You obviously watched the game with a different mindset to most, yes they have players of better quality, but they didn't have it all their own way, they new they had been in game and were never out of sight, we had them on the back foot for more periods than we have in any game for as long as I can remember, great team effort backed up by possible the best supporters in the country. 

• MikeO changed the title to Man Utd (Away) FA Cup - 6/1/23
6 hours ago, Shukes said:

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

You obviously watched the game with a different mindset to most, yes they have players of better quality, but they didn't have it all their own way, they new they had been in game and were never out of sight, we had them on the back foot for more periods than we have in any game for as long as I can remember, great team effort backed up by possible the best supporters in the country. 

We will have to agree to disagree because they were superior to us in every department. 

They had control of the game, they looked like they had gears to go up, they had time in and around our box to play, if they had stopped pissing around with the ball and taken their shots they could have added at least another half dozen shots on our goal. Martial missed a sitter and Eriksen was a whisker away from the edge of the box with a free shot.

I have had a quick look on Whoscored and touches in the box was about 30-40 for them and maybe a dozen for us. This is despite us playing our best back 5 and them playing a weakened one. 

That was the same as the Brighton performance IMO, the difference being that when Utd got into those good attacking positions they messed it up where as Brighton scored. If United had taken those moments, you would have seen the same reaction as the Brighton game when they scored back-to-back goals.

Plus for what its worth, against Brighton the ball was in the opposition third for 31% of the game whereas it was in United's third for 19% of the game. I think you are both completely underestimating the game situation and we will have to play a lot better than that to win the games we need to win this season. We won't get anywhere near that space against the teams in and around us. 

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

We will have to agree to disagree because they were superior to us in every department. 

They had control of the game, they looked like they had gears to go up, they had time in and around our box to play, if they had stopped pissing around with the ball and taken their shots they could have added at least another half dozen shots on our goal. Martial missed a sitter and Eriksen was a whisker away from the edge of the box with a free shot.

I have had a quick look on Whoscored and touches in the box was about 30-40 for them and maybe a dozen for us. This is despite us playing our best back 5 and them playing a weakened one. 

That was the same as the Brighton performance IMO, the difference being that when Utd got into those good attacking positions they messed it up where as Brighton scored. If United had taken those moments, you would have seen the same reaction as the Brighton game when they scored back-to-back goals.

Plus for what its worth, against Brighton the ball was in the opposition third for 31% of the game whereas it was in United's third for 19% of the game. I think you are both completely underestimating the game situation and we will have to play a lot better than that to win the games we need to win this season. We won't get anywhere near that space against the teams in and around us. 

No disrespect by this mate, but all this stat stuff is ruining your opinions. 
I just simply watched the game.

I saw Gray hit the post for example. 
I saw the effort that Myko had that was blocked by the defender when the keeper was beat. 
I saw and celebrated Doms goal which was a great move. 

No stats on a web site are going to tell me all that never happened. So ye let’s just agree to disagree mate 🙂

Im still right though 😉

6 hours ago, memmaclub2 said:

I didn’t think we were massively improved. Our heads didn’t drop like they did against brighton but we still got stuffed and conceded 3. I still think Frank is gone it’s just a matter of time. 

We were literally a millimetre from making it 2-2 & at that point I really believe we could have gone on from there. The third is simply us chasing the game at the death, I’ve no issues with it being 3-1 at that point chasing it.

As mentioned above, Myko had a huge chance that came a bit too quick to him & the defender blocked it + gray hit the post. We also played 60 odd minutes with Maupay who cannot work in that system unless he has a presence with him.

I will concede baileys point that they had a lot of time on the ball.  However the 2 times they scored before the penalty came from individual defending errors by letting their man get around them on the outside.

United have been seriously good lately & we made them work for that.

12 hours ago, Shukes said:

No disrespect by this mate, but all this stat stuff is ruining your opinions. 
I just simply watched the game.

I saw Gray hit the post for example. 
I saw the effort that Myko had that was blocked by the defender when the keeper was beat. 
I saw and celebrated Doms goal which was a great move. 

No stats on a web site are going to tell me all that never happened. So ye let’s just agree to disagree mate 🙂

Im still right though 😉

The problem is Shukes, your eyes are lying to you! 😜

Dont worry about facts of the game clouding your judgement 🤣

Doms goal was a great move though, one of the best I have seen us put together in a long, long time!

7 hours ago, Btay said:

We were literally a millimetre from making it 2-2 & at that point I really believe we could have gone on from there. The third is simply us chasing the game at the death, I’ve no issues with it being 3-1 at that point chasing it.

As mentioned above, Myko had a huge chance that came a bit too quick to him & the defender blocked it + gray hit the post. We also played 60 odd minutes with Maupay who cannot work in that system unless he has a presence with him.

I will concede baileys point that they had a lot of time on the ball.  However the 2 times they scored before the penalty came from individual defending errors by letting their man get around them on the outside.

Couple of quick things.

1. Dom was also offside for the goal by the looks of it, so it was two offsides in the build up.

2. IMO DDG had the Gray shot covered (albeit you never know with him - point 3).

3. Our goal was a calamity from DDG.

4. The Myko chance was another really good move. I think it was going wide before it hit the defender.

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

The problem is Shukes, your eyes are lying to you! 😜

Dont worry about facts of the game clouding your judgement 🤣

Doms goal was a great move though, one of the best I have seen us put together in a long, long time!

Couple of quick things.

1. Dom was also offside for the goal by the looks of it, so it was two offsides in the build up.

2. IMO DDG had the Gray shot covered (albeit you never know with him - point 3).

3. Our goal was a calamity from DDG.

4. The Myko chance was another really good move. I think it was going wide before it hit the defender.

They were the better team I don't think anyone on here is disputing that, most are saying that we weren't played off the park we were always in the game, until the late penalty where we were caught on the break going for broke no shame in that. Just for the record you're the only person from the wider world of pundits ex players and current, who have said that we where played off the park, in fact most have said the opposite, now I'm not saying reconsider your opinion and change your mind, I think we know you won't do that and has you rightly said, it's a matter of opinions so let's agree to disagree, and stop trying to convince us all you were right when we know differently 😘

12 minutes ago, Palfy said:

They were the better team I don't think anyone on here is disputing that, most are saying that we weren't played off the park we were always in the game, until the late penalty where we were caught on the break going for broke no shame in that. Just for the record you're the only person from the wider world of pundits ex players and current, who have said that we where played off the park, in fact most have said the opposite, now I'm not saying reconsider your opinion and change your mind, I think we know you won't do that and has you rightly said, it's a matter of opinions so let's agree to disagree, and stop trying to convince us all you were right when we know differently 😘

All of you lot on here and all those same pundits were also saying we were really good at the back and look what happened there! :P

I will concede maybe "played off the park" is a bit extreme but I felt we were second best in every department (bar the keeper!) and I certainly wouldn't be looking at that performance as a source of optimism for the future.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

All of you lot on here and all those same pundits were also saying we were really good at the back and look what happened there! :P

I will concede maybe "played off the park" is a bit extreme but I felt we were second best in every department (bar the keeper!) and I certainly wouldn't be looking at that performance as a source of optimism for the future.

Acceptable 😉

On 07/01/2023 at 22:07, Btay said:

I agreed the performance was better but you say yourself defending errors for the goals and not finishing some chances. I know it’s small margins but we need this to improve enough that we get the win. We are doing that 1 in 6 times under frank. That’s relegation form. We are running out of games I don’t want us to go down.