IGNORED

An Idiot Abroad

dunlopp9987

Hi TT friends! I'm here, an ignorant American, asking you all for guidance and advice. 

I'm heading over to your neck of the woods for a solo trip for 2 weeks in late April/early May and need advice on where I should stay, what I should see, etc. I spent 3 days in England years back; 1 in London, 1 in Liverpool, 1 in Stoneleigh. This will be a much more thorough trip 🤗

I'm planning on spending 3-5 days in Scotland, maybe a couple days in London, a day or two in Liverpool, and have no clue besides that. Help me! Give me recommendations!

Also side note: I'm planning on going to the Newcastle game on Apr 27th and would love to go/sit with any of you if you'd have me! 

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!

2 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Hi TT friends! I'm here, an ignorant American, asking you all for guidance and advice. 

I'm heading over to your neck of the woods for a solo trip for 2 weeks in late April/early May and need advice on where I should stay, what I should see, etc. I spent 3 days in England years back; 1 in London, 1 in Liverpool, 1 in Stoneleigh. This will be a much more thorough trip 🤗

I'm planning on spending 3-5 days in Scotland, maybe a couple days in London, a day or two in Liverpool, and have no clue besides that. Help me! Give me recommendations!

Also side note: I'm planning on going to the Newcastle game on Apr 27th and would love to go/sit with any of you if you'd have me! 

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!

Fuck the South, spend more time in Liverpool, The Lakes, Wales and Pennines. 

What floats your boat? Countyside, cities, history, castles, museums?

For my taste if I lived abroad and had two weeks here I'd spend the majority in the west highlands (Glencoe is a must) and islands of Scotland; but that would be the idea of hell for someone who fancies Blackpool.

I'd obviously visit Liverpool but I'm really not a city person at all in general.

10 hours ago, MikeO said:

For my taste if I lived abroad and had two weeks here I'd spend the majority in the west highlands (Glencoe is a must) and islands of Scotland; but that would be the idea of hell for someone who fancies Blackpool.

I'd obviously visit Liverpool but I'm really not a city person at all in general.

Anyone who fancies Blackpool deserve hell.

20 hours ago, MikeO said:

April/May aren't the Midgies out in full force by then 😩

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Have never bothered me.

Rock hard mate, I've seen Scotsman completely covered with hat's that have nets too completely cover any bare skin whilst playing golf, my friends and I couldn't play we were covered in thousands of the little bastards. It was on Crail Links course where you are normally safe because the wind coming off the sea, but not this day it was still and they were out in force. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/03/2023 at 16:14, MikeO said:

I want to find a city somewhere between London and Liverpool for just a day trip. So if you only had 6-8 hours, which city would you stop off at? 

On 06/03/2023 at 20:39, Palfy said:

Rock hard mate, I've seen Scotsman completely covered with hat's that have nets too completely cover any bare skin whilst playing golf, my friends and I couldn't play we were covered in thousands of the little bastards. It was on Crail Links course where you are normally safe because the wind coming off the sea, but not this day it was still and they were out in force. 

Too much info mate

9 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I want to find a city somewhere between London and Liverpool for just a day trip. So if you only had 6-8 hours, which city would you stop off at? 

Birmingham is probably the obvious mid-point but its not somewhere I would really recommend unless it has changed since I lived up there 10 or so years ago.

From a historical point of view, you have Oxford which would be closer to London and then much closer to Liverpool you have Chester. Both have shops, something to look at and decent places to eat/drink. 

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

Birmingham is probably the obvious mid-point but its not somewhere I would really recommend unless it has changed since I lived up there 10 or so years ago.

From a historical point of view, you have Oxford which would be closer to London and then much closer to Liverpool you have Chester. Both have shops, something to look at and decent places to eat/drink. 

As someone who knows a very tiny amount about British cities, I don't think I want to stop in Birmingham. 

Chester looks great though! Good shout! 

21 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

As someone who knows a very tiny amount about British cities, I don't think I want to stop in Birmingham. 

Chester looks great though! Good shout! 

Lovely city, going there on Friday with the wife. Happy to come say hi if you get there :)

1 minute ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Another question for you all. I'll be traveling by train back down to London from Edinburgh a couple days before the coronation, gonna stop and find a hotel somewhere in between. And then I fly out of London the afternoon of the coronation. 

How impossible is travel going to be...

I'd reckon outside of central London you'll be fine, probably quieter than the norm.

3 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Another question for you all. I'll be traveling by train back down to London from Edinburgh a couple days before the coronation, gonna stop and find a hotel somewhere in between. And then I fly out of London the afternoon of the coronation. 

How impossible is travel going to be...

That's if the trains aren't on strike, would seem to me to be an ideal opportunity for the union to take if their long running dispute isn't over by then.  So be mindful when leaving Edinburgh you don't leave yourself to far too travel after your hotel stop to the airport, strike days are usually known well in advance with public transportation so you have an opportunity to make other arrangements. 

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

That's if the trains aren't on strike, would seem to me to be an ideal opportunity for the union to take if their long running dispute isn't over by then.  So be mindful when leaving Edinburgh you don't leave yourself to far too travel after your hotel stop to the airport, strike days are usually known well in advance with public transportation so you have an opportunity to make other arrangements. 

They've won their dispute.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Question for you all: if I'm gonna be taking the train into London the day before coronation (from somewhere up north, not sure where exactly yet), is that gonna be basically impossible? Should I book a train ticket ahead of time or can I do it the day of?

Always best to book ahead - it will probably be cheaper, as well.

If you're stopping in Manchester, happy to give you a guided tour. Much nicer than Birmingham. Quite a few Hollywood films have used Manchester to fill in for 19th century / early 20th century NYC but there the comparison ends, I think. 😬 

On 03/04/2023 at 08:34, Formby said:

Always best to book ahead - it will probably be cheaper, as well.

If you're stopping in Manchester, happy to give you a guided tour. Much nicer than Birmingham. Quite a few Hollywood films have used Manchester to fill in for 19th century / early 20th century NYC but there the comparison ends, I think. 😬 

What if I'm not gonna know where I'm staying the night before I head to London until the day of...