IGNORED

Shane Duffy

I find it a bit odd how he's getting so much International recognition but he's not getting it at club level :blink:.

I know what you mean, but he is still very young, having just turned 18 in January. Taking his age into consideration, I'd say he has been getting a fair bit of recognition at club level, relatively speaking. He played in two Europa games, aged 17, where (in my biased opinion!) he played well and he's been captaining the reserves. There are quite a few more senior centrebacks in the squad that Moyes understandably will play ahead of Shane, given Shane's age and inexperience. Perhaps next season he'll play a few more first team games, or maybe he'll go on loan.

The thing is, that unlike England or other 'bigger' international sides, the Irish ones are often left scraping the barrel for talent. If you look at the Ireland team, centreback is one of our weak positions, with only Richard Dunne being of any considerable talent and there are no real prospects coming through in that position (unless you deem Paul McShane worthy of being Dunne's successor :P). I imagine that Trapattoni sees potential in Shane and wants to get a close look at him. Out of the last training camp, before the World Cup qualifiers, Trapattoni unearthed a few solid players who weren't quite playing regularly for their clubs; Glenn Whelan was one of them and he went on to play a crucial role in our midfield during the last campaign, even scoring an absolute rocket against Italy!

I'm obviously delighted for Shane. Working with Trapattoni will be a great experience, since he's one of the greatest managers of our time and it will aid his development as he matures.

Called up to an Irish Senior training camp in May. Congrats Shane!

Only over the hill from my house so I'll go over and see if I can get my old Everton shirt signed lol. Will either mark or noddy be down to see him?

We posted at the same time, so I missed this! I hope to head over after my last exam on the 19th. Excited :)

Edited by Noddy

Might see you around then :) Malahide United is literally like a 5 min walk from my house.

We're all delighted for Stephen Ward too. He's from just down the road too, so it'll be nice for him to be so close to home. I have to get my mate's Wolves shirt signed too lol!

Seems a bit strange to me that Coleman's not in the squad as well.

Either he'll come with the other senior players later, or he'll be needed in Blackpool's promotion drive. Either way, there's no doubt he'll be in the Ireland squad in the future.

Be nice to see.

It would. I'd be on the edge of my seat with my heart in my mouth again, like in the Athens game...

Don't remember who got POTY last year (edit: it was Kieren Agard) but it was John Irving the previous two http://balatownfc.co.uk/intro2009.htm :unsure: . Bit of a poisoned chalice?

I hope you're wrong! He's captain of the reserves too (and top goalscorer I think B) ). It's really hard to believe how much he's come along since moving over 2 years ago. He's made tremendous progress especially when you consider that most of the other academy lads have been at the club from a very young age.

I really hope Duffy does get a start tomorrow, especially alongside Jags.

Duffy looks a bit of a monster in the air, which could be the perfect foil for Jags! I wouldnt bet against Duffy getting a goal as well if he plays, Pompey's marking at times has been rubbish and with a decent delivery you never know!

Id certainly have him in there and good luck to him if Moyes does give him the nod!

• 2 weeks later...

I walked past Robs Wall and over Paddys Hill around 10 past 6. Couldn't wait around for kick off though. Were you up on the hill or were you down beside Gannon Park?

was at the game...not a bad game, shane played really well....... didnt really put a foot wrong all game winning everything in the air!!! under 23s put up a good show and presured the ball all game..... great to shane so happy and traps is more than happy with him!!! credit to everton they have turn shane into a very strong center half!! and still only A BABY! :D OLE!!! B)

Edited by markduff

quick update on shane after a realy bad nite for everyone here..... shane lost over 3 pints of blood after the blow he recieved, he is now out of intensive care and with the help of god will make a good recovery!!! trapatoni and moyes where there to make sure he got the best people to do the work needed!! thank to the matter hospital(dublin) for there great work to save shanes life!!

quick update on shane after a realy bad nite for everyone here..... shane lost over 3 pints of blood after the blow he recieved, he is now out of intensive care and with the help of god will make a good recovery!!! trapatoni and moyes where there to make sure he got the best people to do the work needed!! thank to the matter hospital(dublin) for there great work to save shanes life!!

That sounds insanely scary, I'm glad he's alright!