IGNORED

Shane Duffy

Lets face it - can he do any worse than Jags at the moment?

Not one fan would begrudge Duffy being given a start at the present time given injuries etc. I feel that another chanting session like we did for Coleman may be needed, seriously irritating. Moyes gives youth a chance?

Alas its the only time he listens,

all together now

ALL WE ARE SAYING IS GIVE DUFFY A CHANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL WE ARE SAYING IS GIVE DUFFY A CHANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who was the club? :P

Can Shane possibly be converted into a midfielder or striker? That's the only way he'll get to play under Moyes. I feel sorry for Shane because Moyes simply will not trust him to play. The line of youth getting a chance here has long been an idea I have rubbished (I know you disagree Dunc), so tell Shane to push as hard as he possibly can to get out of this club on loan. If he plays as well as we all think he would on loan maybe a top club with a manager would spot that talent and come in for him and let him play at the top.

He has played up front for the reserves as an extra striker when a goal is needed and he sometimes played in midfield as a kid but he excels at centre half - if ever someone was built for it, it is him!

Cant believe the comments released today from Moyes as well where he more or less states 'Jags had to play as Hibbert is too small and we dont have other options'... Must be really dissapointing to hear that kinda thing for Shane (and Mustafi).

It's an odd thing to say all right.

Lets face it - can he do any worse than Jags at the moment?

Not one fan would begrudge Duffy being given a start at the present time given injuries etc. I feel that another chanting session like we did for Coleman may be needed, seriously irritating. Moyes gives youth a chance?

He certainly wouldn't be any worse than a half fit Jagielka, or an out of position Tony Hibbert, and I try not to let my bias blind me... Stubbs has already stated that Shane is finally finding form after his injury and prior to his injury, Shane was receiving praise from all quarters. In the Europa League Pat Nevin highlighted how his reading of the game and positioning was remarkable for a player so young and when he was training with the Irish senior team, he stole the headlines for both good and bad reasons. I remember reading a piece from Cathal Dervan in the Irish Star that even went as far as to describe Shane as resembling a combination of some of Ireland's best centre backs - the skill of David O'Leary with the leadership of Mick McCarthy. As surreal as that might sound, if nothing else, it clearly shows the impact that Shane had. Indeed, Trapattoni, Tardelli and senior players like Liam Lawrence and Darren O'Dea all praised Shane's ability during the training camp, and Northern Ireland manager Nigel Worthington bemoaned the loss of Shane, saying that he was sure he would be around at the top end of football for years to come.

Shane has to make the step up some time, and he has just turned 19, so, if he's good enough, what time is the right time?

He has played up front for the reserves as an extra striker when a goal is needed and he sometimes played in midfield as a kid but he excels at centre half - if ever someone was built for it, it is him!

Noddy, I was just being sarcastic to highlight Moyes' retardness tbh. I think Shane should have been given a go against West Ham over Hibbert. It makes far more sense to have someone in their natural position, whether they're 19 or 29. I know Moyes is thinking he needs to play experienced players but that didn't work out too well when he played Hibbert against West Ham did it? He needs to show a little more faith in the youngsters and less blind loyalty in other players.

• 2 weeks later...

Am i Missing something? :unsure:

Noddy (or Ian) would explain it better but as I understand it he played for Northern Ireland at youth and "B" level then switched to the Republic, pissing off the North.

Playing for Celtic (being the catholic/republican half of Glasgow) would maybe be seen as rubbing salt in.

Noddy (or Ian) would explain it better but as I understand it he played for Northern Ireland at youth and "B" level then switched to the Republic, pissing off the North.

Playing for Celtic (being the catholic/republican half of Glasgow) would maybe be seen as rubbing salt in.

Pretty much. A lot, but certainly not all, of Northern Ireland fans also happen to support Rangers. If Shane went to Celtic, he would probably get twice the abuse from those guys. To be honest, it might not be the best of ideas, especially in light of the recent bullet nonsense with Neil Lennon, Paddy McCourt and Niall McGinn - and those guys actually played and play for Northern Ireland!

Regarding the call-up - fantastic news and it's a very strong squad that includes Conor Clifford, James McCarthy and Robbie Brady. Shane needs all the football he can get, especially seeing as no loan deal seems to be forthcoming anymore.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From Twitter...

Defender Shane Duffy has joined Championship promotion hopefuls Burnley on a 28-day emergency loan. #efc #COYB

I think this will be a good chance for him to get some first team football and show Moyes that he wants to push into the Everton starting 11