IGNORED

Shane Duffy

romey,.... as a matter of interest, have you been to see a game that shane has played a full 90mins?

I think you've taken it as me not thinking Duffy is good enough for Everton, far from it.

It's just Moyes is funny with his defenders, rightly or wrongly, and if a Dutch international can't get in then what chance does a kid have?

I don't think Duffy will ever have a career at Everton while Moyes is here, but that's just my opinion and it's not because I think he's shite.

No, it just shows that Moyes loves his favourites and will not drop them when they are playing poor, also because he has a fixation with playing a left and right footed central defenders, god knows why, Denis Irwin was right footed and played left back and he was ace.

It provides balance when the central defender steps into the left/right channel when that full back bombs forward.

Also, it makes the defender more comfortable with the foot further away from the pressing forward when the two centre backs spread wide after the goalkeeper picks up a loose ball forward and prepares for a throw-out. If the centre-back is on the 'wrong' side then their natural instinct is to cut the ball back inside onto their stronger foot. Many of the mistakes leading to goals you see centre-backs make are down to this very tendency.

On current form, Heitinga deserves to be starting, yes. But at the expense of Jagielka, not Distin.

It provides balance when the central defender steps into the left/right channel when that full back bombs forward.

Also, it makes the defender more comfortable with the foot further away from the pressing forward when the two centre backs spread wide after the goalkeeper picks up a loose ball forward and prepares for a throw-out. If the centre-back is on the 'wrong' side then their natural instinct is to cut the ball back inside onto their stronger foot. Many of the mistakes leading to goals you see centre-backs make are down to this very tendency.

On current form, Heitinga deserves to be starting, yes. But at the expense of Jagielka, not Distin.

Yeah I know, all pretty basic stuff said, you missed out its easier for a righty to pass a ball which is curving towards a full back running on etc...... anyway, I don't think it makes a difference to Jags. Hate to be picky but don't count on him to get the ball off Howard and start anything going forward, seems Felli is scared to ask for the ball off him coz it might just go anywhere!

Horses for courses here, Moyes used him because being faster than Nev he can make sure no one gets beyond him, instead making the winger pass inside and so to a condensed area. That's the theory anyhow.

So you're saying he always plays his favourites, except for when he thinks it's better tactically to drop themhuh.png ?

Hmmm....I'll leave you to argue this one out with yourselfrofl.gif .

So you're saying he always plays his favourites, except for when he thinks it's better tactically to drop themhuh.png ?

Hmmm....I'll leave you to argue this one out with yourselfrofl.gif .

Any bets Hetinga will play against Bolton for eg? Yes he does NORMALLY play his favourites, the ''Untouchables'' if you will, can't see why though, perhaps too rigid in his thinking?

• 2 weeks later...

takin from a match report from scunthorpes 2-1 win on saturday.....

Star Player

Shane Duffy:

The Iron might have scored twice, and whilst you had to say everyone played well - the centre halves deserve particular credit.

Especially Duffy, who at just 19 belies his 6ft 4 frame, and showed the footballing world, just how much of a man he was.

Blocks and headers galore - he dealt with absolutely everything the incredibly physical and direct Boro had to throw at him.

And his off the line clearance at the end was a piece of positioning, and anticipatory, brilliance from him.

He kept it alive throughout, and saved the day at the end. An absolutely perfect performance from the defender.

Can we keep him David? Please!?

Read more: http://www.scunthorpe.vitalfootball.co.uk/matchrep.asp?a=257649#ixzz1ZkSQPmrZ

Aw yeah. Don't get me wrong, I'm not naive enough to think that Shane never makes mistakes. Every player makes them, it's how they respond to it that matters (as long as they don't lose!). I'm just glad he's playing now (same with Baxter and Garbutt) - from Everton's point of view, that's what is necessary for some players' development. 6 games in just over a month, that's the first time he's had that many games in a while. Off with the U21s now, hopefully he's given Noel King reason to start him!

Poor touch with his chest....that's why he puts his head in his hands when the goal goes in and acknowledges his mistake to another defender with a hand gesture.

To a point yes but he had to take the touch and the tackle came in almost immediately. Its all a learning curve and maybe with a bit more experience would have cleared it