IGNORED

Shane Duffy

When was the whole CAS thing cleared up? Must be recent if he was called up for Eire U21?

I don't see how IFA had a chance of winning to be honest, plus if a body prevented you from playing for another nation, would you really want to play for them?

When was the whole CAS thing cleared up? Must be recent if he was called up for Eire U21?

I don't see how IFA had a chance of winning to be honest, plus if a body prevented you from playing for another nation, would you really want to play for them?

he was cleared to play for his country shortly after his injury with the senior irish team last year.

The IFA lost emphatically in the Summer of 2010. Shane's right to play for Ireland wasn't contested by the IFA, even though they used the publicity from his switch to launch their case. Shane's change was put on hold until after the CAS case for whatever reason. He played for the U19s a few months back.

He's started on the bench today, but he played the whole game against Cyprus U21s a few weeks back. Hopefully he gets some time on the pitch.

Not sure Matt. I think Howe is keen on him though, he likes what he sees.

Shane played fairly well for the U21s yesterday. He won all his headers and was very composed in possession (even found time to nutmeg a striker!). Ireland were unlucky to lose 2-0, because they were the better team for most of the game - they scored a cracker from 25 yard in the last minute, then our 'keeper lost his mind shortly after, trying to take on the striker instead of putting his foot through the ball.

Joao Silva played, as did Bebe. Didn't do much at all as Ireland controlled the midfield and the defence mopped up everything.

Just seen something in in the Echo that he might be going on a permanent transfer?! I hope not, I was really hoping he would be partnering Jags over the next few years.

I think the Echo have read it wrong tbh. I took Howe's comments as meaning he'd look to get him in on loan again next season.

I think the Echo have read it wrong tbh. I took Howe's comments as meaning he'd look to get him in on loan again next season.

That's how I read it. I'd like to see how he gets on - I think we'd kick ourselves if we got rid at this stage. Prime example Villa and Gary Cahill and to a lesser extent Liam Ridgewell.

Do you think Moyes would want to let Shane go if Burnley came in with an offer? I suspect Moyes sees this move as the next step in Shane's development.

@Louis - Barton's reason for declaring for the FAI over the IFA is different to Shane's situation; Shane declared for the FAI because that is his national team, whereas Barton seems to be acting a bit of a mercenary. Apparently Barton wasn't sure who to play for between England, Northern Ireland and Ireland.

Shane made his debut for Burnley today in the 2-1 defeat to Ipswich. Played the full 90 and had a decent game by all accounts, considering it was only his third senior appearance and first since his injury.

Here's a bit on Burnley's website about it: http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/page/LatestHeadlines/0,,10413~2329680,00.html

Hopefully he can build on this experience.

I missed the highlights on the Football League Show, but I hope to catch them Sunday.

It always amazes me how two people can watch the same game and see two competely different performances. I suppose that's part of the fun of watching the game. According to some, Shane had a tremendous debut and showed great composure, awareness and passing range for an untried youngster, while others saw a raw, nervous player who made mistakes. I tend to think that some people might not know what they're talking about, sometimes. Don't the best defenders in the world make mistakes or have bad days at the office?

Time will tell whether Shane will be a star. He might not have blown away the spectators on his first game at Burnley, but I think it's obvious that he has the potential to mix it with the pros at the highest level.