Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Matt

Cricket Thread

Recommended Posts

Well that told them! I thought once we'd got past about 260/270 yestreday we could roll them over but I didn't expect them to only get 38:huh:.

Still; going to be a lot harder from here on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Well that told them! I thought once we'd got past about 260/270 yestreday we could roll them over but I didn't expect them to only get 38:huh:.

Still; going to be a lot harder from here on.

The way we collapse after a wicket goes down is a huge worry. Australia won’t be as forgiving as Ireland, they’ll have their foot on our throats and won’t let up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

The way we collapse after a wicket goes down is a huge worry. Australia won’t be as forgiving as Ireland, they’ll have their foot on our throats and won’t let up. 

Im not sure the answer is out there in test cricket though? I dont watch enough county cricket to say who is or isnt any good but each person they put in plays as bad as the last one. 

I do think Roy deserves a go but he will never score big runs (150+) and he is capable of getting out off any delivery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

England batting poor again.  Fourth highest scorer (so far) is 'extras' with 23.     Leach has got to come back in for Ali, he should never have been dropped for this test.  Bairstow needs a rest.  His batting has disappeared and there are better wicket keepers out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, johnh said:

England batting poor again.  Fourth highest scorer (so far) is 'extras' with 23.     Leach has got to come back in for Ali, he should never have been dropped for this test.  Bairstow needs a rest.  His batting has disappeared and there are better wicket keepers out there.

Woakes and Broad doing the biz now though, 64 for the 8th wicket (and counting), could make all the difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, johnh said:

England batting poor again.  Fourth highest scorer (so far) is 'extras' with 23.     Leach has got to come back in for Ali, he should never have been dropped for this test.  Bairstow needs a rest.  His batting has disappeared and there are better wicket keepers out there.

Before both of their dismissals Sky showed some stats. Moeens average over the last few games is terrible and Bairstow gets bowled far too often for an elite cricketer (not that he did that this time). It was a stupid shot he tried to play though. 

Both sides look like they have a lot of holes in their batting lineup that you could see several big collapses through team series! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Before both of their dismissals Sky showed some stats. Moeens average over the last few games is terrible and Bairstow gets bowled far too often for an elite cricketer (not that he did that this time). It was a stupid shot he tried to play though. 

Both sides look like they have a lot of holes in their batting lineup that you could see several big collapses through team series

Can we have one now please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not watching it live but just seen the replay of Warner getting out. Firstly how did the umpire fail to see the edge (umpiring has been dire all match)? Secondly why didn't Warner walk? Bloody obvious he was out and he knew it; golden opportunity to help lose the "cheat" label but he blew it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MikeO said:

Woakes and Broad doing the biz now though, 64 for the 8th wicket (and counting), could make all the difference.

I think we would have settled for a 90 run first innings lead before the start but 5 of our batsmen got 41 runs between them. The lead could have been 200 or more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, johnh said:

I think we would have settled for a 90 run first innings lead before the start but 5 of our batsmen got 41 runs between them. The lead could have been 200 or more.

Agree completely, and who would've made Rory Burns the main man pre-match? Roughly nobody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, johnh said:

You can see it now.  England will be bowled out for under 200 - unless it rains.

80 odd for 4 at lunch.   I played a bit of cricket but was a hopeless batsman.  I never, ever, played as bad a shot as Roy did today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, johnh said:

We have no openers, our middle-order can only play the short-form of the game and we have no spinners.

Rory Burns 133 in the first innings? That obviously didn't live long in your memory John.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, johnh said:

We have no openers, our middle-order can only play the short-form of the game and we have no spinners.

We were also missing our top three bowlers - Wood, Archer and Anderson. Ali is hopelessly out of form and should have been dropped. Main problem, though, is mental toughness. They were ahead days 1-3, then fell apart. It's a common failing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MikeO said:

Rory Burns 133 in the first innings? That obviously didn't live long in your memory John.

I think he led a very charmed life to get that score. Got out to a good ball today though.

That "shot" of Roy's though! All over the place and not even close to the ball.

I dont see us getting to 50 without loss let alone 100.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Formby said:

We were also missing our top three bowlers - Wood, Archer and Anderson. Ali is hopelessly out of form and should have been dropped. Main problem, though, is mental toughness. They were ahead days 1-3, then fell apart. It's a common failing. 

Denly and Bairstow too. You could look at dropping all 3 but then who comes in? No-one in first class cricket has had a decent average over a period of time. Ballance looks better now but he failed a lot at test level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bailey said:

Denly and Bairstow too. You could look at dropping all 3 but then who comes in? No-one in first class cricket has had a decent average over a period of time. Ballance looks better now but he failed a lot at test level.

Agree about Balance but I wouldn't go back - he is short of mental toughness at this level. I guess it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that we don't have any players to come in; the white ball game has taken over. Nobody works on defence anymore. Also, Australia have the best batter, the best spin bowler and the best fast bowler in the series, so we're up against it. A fully fit Anderson and Archer would help at Lords, but probably unlikely. I do think we need to prepare pitches which don't turn and negate Lyon.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/08/2019 at 11:05, Formby said:

Agree about Balance but I wouldn't go back - he is short of mental toughness at this level. I guess it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that we don't have any players to come in; the white ball game has taken over. Nobody works on defence anymore. Also, Australia have the best batter, the best spin bowler and the best fast bowler in the series, so we're up against it. A fully fit Anderson and Archer would help at Lords, but probably unlikely. I do think we need to prepare pitches which don't turn and negate Lyon.   

Yeh I get the point about his mentality but he was going through a tough spell and lost his game for a bit. It happens to a lot of players that aren't the very best in their field. He has clearly gone away and put in the hard work to get him back on track. When he last played for England he was in poor nick for his County and I never really understand why they do that. If your in bad form for your County why would you improve for moving up a level?

I agree on the rest too. Never fancy England at Lords anyway and I really cant see them winning this one unless Archer knocks them over for a stupidly low score!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems a bit daft to me the new law that allows a sub to come in for concussion but not for any other injury, Labuschagne likely saved Oz this test while we had to play the whole game with ten men after Anderson's injury in the first one. No fair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Seems a bit daft to me the new law that allows a sub to come in for concussion but not for any other injury, Labuschagne likely saved Oz this test while we had to play the whole game with ten men after Anderson's injury in the first one. No fair.

The easy catch dropped in the slips hasn’t helped. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Seems a bit daft to me the new law that allows a sub to come in for concussion but not for any other injury, Labuschagne likely saved Oz this test while we had to play the whole game with ten men after Anderson's injury in the first one. No fair.

Was coming on to post exactly that.  When was that rule introduced? Never knew a sub could actually bat.  Anderson's injury probably cost us the first test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, johnh said:

Was coming on to post exactly that.  When was that rule introduced? Never knew a sub could actually bat.  Anderson's injury probably cost us the first test.

August 1st:rolleyes:.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/cricket/article/what-is-concussion-substitute-rule-heres-everything-on-iccs-new-set-of-guidelines/471184

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Take a fucking bow, Ben Stokes!

That was horrific to watch but what a release when he hit that last shot. 

"Sir" Ben Stokes, that was Botham '81 comparable, not to mention Jack Leach; the best 1 not out in the history of cricket!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever happened to proper openers? Is Mr Boycott's mother still available with her broom handle?

"England first wicket partnership was 10 so they have now scored 85 runs for the first wicket in the series at an average of 12.

Australia's opening partnership has made 62 runs at 8.8."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent photograph on the front page of the Telegraph Sport today.   Shows Jason Roy being bowled, middle stump, by Josh Hazlewood.   Ironically, the advert, clearly visible on the stumps, is  for 'Specsavers'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure why all the lavish praise for Ben Stokes for a flash in the pan innings the last time around. True brilliance comes from Steve Smith, whose scored a half-century, full century, or double-century every innings. If Smith hadn't been out injured, Stokes wouldn't have even had the chance to make an impact in the previous test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I'm not sure why all the lavish praise for Ben Stokes for a flash in the pan innings the last time around. True brilliance comes from Steve Smith, whose scored a half-century, full century, or double-century every innings. If Smith hadn't been out injured, Stokes wouldn't have even had the chance to make an impact in the previous test.

No doubt about his ability as a batsman, but forever under a cloud whatever he achieves because he's a proven, self confessed cheat in a sport that is supposed to be the definition of "hard but fair". That's why, "...it's just not cricket.." is a widely used phrase that's transcended the game to describe anything that's just plain wrong as it's regarded as a gentleman's game were fair play is paramount. Many other sports he'd have been banned for far longer than a year.

Anyway, we made it to tea! Be ridiculous if we could hold out today, but I think the new ball will probably be our downfall even if we see out the 11 overs with the old one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

The BBC headline is funny: "Brave England fall short in thriller." The reality, "England score in two innings what Australia scored in one." England were thrashed by a far superior Australian side.

Okay Steve calm down with your England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 bashing we are quite a sensitive people I’ll have you know 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Okay Steve calm down with your England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 bashing we are quite a sensitive people I’ll have you know 😀

Sorry. You have to admire greatness when you see it, though. Apart from Warner, this is a very talented Australia team. Let’s give them credit for another fine win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They keep setting the same trap for us and we keep falling for it, that is making the mistake of dismissing Warner and Harris. If we bowled underarm daisy-cutters at them all day then we'd never have to face Labuschagne and Smith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Root has been our biggest problem.  He is not a good, natural captain and the responsibility is having an adverse effect on his batting.  His 50 odd  yesterday, was very lucky, being dropped three times. Got to give Stokes a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/09/2019 at 13:11, MikeO said:

They keep setting the same trap for us and we keep falling for it, that is making the mistake of dismissing Warner and Harris. If we bowled underarm daisy-cutters at them all day then we'd never have to face Labuschagne and Smith

....and again...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, MikeO said:

....and again...

It really is quite remarkable, isn't it? And frustrating. Two evenly matched teams, really (without Smith). And the fact we don't have a decent spinner! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/09/2019 at 12:45, Formby said:

It really is quite remarkable, isn't it? And frustrating. Two evenly matched teams, really (without Smith). And the fact we don't have a decent spinner! 

Our non-decent spinner got 4 for 49.  He's not bad with the bat either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/09/2019 at 03:20, Formby said:

On the final day. He's in to take wickets and he doesn't do that enough, in my opinion. We need better.

I mean half the job of a spinner is to keep it tight at one end and let your quicks rotate around him too. I think Leach does a pretty decent job of that. 

There’s still people in Australia who don’t rate Lyon because he can’t take wickets at will (I.e. he’s not a Shane Warne clone) and ignore the other jobs he does for the test team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/09/2019 at 02:29, Vranny said:

I mean half the job of a spinner is to keep it tight at one end and let your quicks rotate around him too. I think Leach does a pretty decent job of that. 

There’s still people in Australia who don’t rate Lyon because he can’t take wickets at will (I.e. he’s not a Shane Warne clone) and ignore the other jobs he does for the test team. 

I'd take Lyon over Leach in a heartbeat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...