IGNORED

John Stones

The reality of this is that Stones is going either this summer (hopefully not) or next (unless we somehow get top 4). Money talks, and before people start Kenshite'ing here there and everywhere, it's not just us. Spurs and Liverpoo are the same (ish) and they've got got the sought after rich owners - Kane and Sterling will go at the right price. Basically the top 4 of last season have all the power. Only a takeover of Man C / Chelsea proportions or ECL qualification over a sustained period can change this... and this is why I am falling out of love with modern football (sadly I'm obsessed and it won't actually happen!) - something needs to happen though! I've mentioned before that my mate is involved with FC United and obviously a fan. A couple of weeks ago he was brought to tears at the trial opening of their own stadium in a friendly vs Benfica. It's not the glitz and glamour of the EPL but it doesn't stop me being envious of him.

Nice fairytale and all, but if they ever reach the big time they'll fall heavily from that high and mighty perch they've put themselves on and be just like every other side.

Yeah I haven't seen any figures float around yet, I'd be interested to see what he's valued at.

The Echo are reporting that we want more than the current record for a defender, which is the £32m City paid for Mangala. Absolutely no way we're turning down that sort of money. - http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/john-stones-latest-everton-resist-9448876

Edited by Romey 1878

Nice fairytale and all, but if they ever reach the big time they'll fall heavily from that high and mighty perch they've put themselves on and be just like every other side.

They've got the fan base to survive at league 1/2 level - that's before people start hoping on if they were to get league football. Can't see any reason why they can't get at least close to what AFC Wimbledon have done/are doing.

They've got the fan base to survive at league 1/2 level - that's before people start hoping on if they were to get league football. Can't see any reason why they can't get at least close to what AFC Wimbledon have done/are doing.

You haven't read what I've said right. What I meant is that the higher they go up the tree the more they'll just be like every other side, and become what they claim to be working against.

• 2 weeks later...

Listened to talk sport whilst sat in the ridiculous A55 traffic this morning.

John Terry was interviewed and to my surprise was extremely eloquent and interesting. Danny Murphy asked him about the young players coming through - he said Kane was by "far" the best striker he faced last season and Murphy brough John Stones into the conversation.

Murphy as he has stated before likes him alot, John Terry agreed - Terry said the way he splits wide of the area to take the ball out was very impressive, he thinks we have a top top talent.

Not sure if there is any mischief in all this, are they trying to big him up for a move? Based on some of the fees bandied around I would not feel cheeky to expect £40m - daft I know but I think some may consider it.

Not sure if there is any mischief in all this, are they trying to big him up for a move? Based on some of the fees bandied around I would not feel cheeky to expect £40m - daft I know but I think some may consider it.

I concur. Consistent, young defenders are quite a rare commodity and if you think John is in the same ilk as Rio Ferdinand, i'd expect a similar fee.

50 million or anyone interested can fuck off.

He will be captain of England one day.

50 is way too mucjh but we don't want to sell so it'll have to be stupid money.

Say what you want about Moyes but his transfer dealings were first class. Yes he had some bad ones but some of the deals he done including sales was brilliant.

I was impressed that Martinez actually made the offer to take him to Wigan before he signed for us, it was well known that our scouting system under Moyes was very good, and to his credit it was.

It would be interesting to uderstand how he was identified at Wigan.

For my money I actually think that if Moyes was still here we wouldn't have seen as much of Stones, Moyes was always very cautious about using young defenders. Rightly so at times but there were occassions like with Duffy when it wouldn't have done any harm to include him after some solid performances.

I don't think Moyes would have been quite as tolerant of Stones "composure" on the ball, he would have hadf a melt down. None the less his last signing could very well be his best.

I was impressed that Martinez actually made the offer to take him to Wigan before he signed for us, it was well known that our scouting system under Moyes was very good, and to his credit it was.

For my money I actually think that if Moyes was still here we wouldn't have seen as much of Stones, Moyes was always very cautious about using young defenders. Rightly so at times but there were occassions like with Duffy when it wouldn't have done any harm to include him after some solid performances.

I don't think Moyes would have been quite as tolerant of Stones "composure" on the ball, he would have hadf a melt down. None the less his last signing could very well be his best.

Agree. Look at Mustafi too.

I doubt Stones would have made a single first-team appearance yet if Moyes was still here.

I doubt Stones would be the confident young man he appears to be if Moyes was still here.

At united Moyes sat with Uniteds defenders - including Rio Ferdinand and asked them to emulate Phil Jagielka - now I love Jags but i'm sorry, Ferdinand was one of the best defenders i've seen, for a good while he was the best in the world. Moyes loved a blood and thunder centre half who got rid. Stones would be destroyed by him.

Martinez is the right man for Stones, maybe a little too liberal with him but he will develop quickly.

Stones, for me, is a bigger prospect that Barkley, Stirling and Kane. Spurs talking £40m plus for Kane, the shite want £50m for Stirling, then if Chelsea want Stones it has to be over £55m in my opinion. Every player has their price, no harm in making it massive. We don't want to sell him, we don't need to sell him, if you want him bring a fucking big bag of cash or don't even bother making a call.

Agree with this totally. Stones IS the real deal there is no doubt about that in my mind.

Stones, for me, is a bigger prospect that Barkley, Stirling and Kane. Spurs talking £40m plus for Kane, the shite want £50m for Stirling, then if Chelsea want Stones it has to be over £55m in my opinion. Every player has their price, no harm in making it massive. We don't want to sell him, we don't need to sell him, if you want him bring a fucking big bag of cash or don't even bother making a call.

100% agree.

The reports saying Chelsea think they can get him for £15m are an absolute joke.