IGNORED

Goalkeepers

seve

Not immediately, but expect a review of Tim by end of next season to see if there is really need.

Defense needs sorting before then.

To be fair, Howard done enough last season to earn the gloves again this season but prior to that I thought we were screaming out for a new goalie. We still are for a reserve ine because Robles is absolutely shockingly bad.

To be fair, Howard done enough last season to earn the gloves again this season but prior to that I thought we were screaming out for a new goalie. We still are for a reserve ine because Robles is absolutely shockingly bad.

Keepers generally get better with age, and I see Howard being no exception. Tim has made some big errors in the past but they tend to be limited to a handful a season. Otherwise he is quite solid and without spending 10-15m+ on a new keeper we won't get near his quality.

I still have faith in Robles, people seem to want to write players off after a few poor performances. The lad hasnt had regular (that means a run of games, not once or twice a month for the cups) 1st team football for nearly 18 months and is still very young for a keeper at 24. There was a player in him at Wigan, I think we just need to be patient.

Edited by Matt

Keepers generally get better with age, and I see Howard being no exception. Tim has made some big errors in the past but they tend to be limited to a handful a season. Otherwise he is quite solid and without spending 10-15m+ on a new keeper we won't get near his quality.

I still have faith in Robles, people seem to want to write players off after a few poor performances. The lad hasnt had regular (that means a run of games, not once or twice a month for the cups) 1st team football for nearly 18 months and is still very young for a keeper at 24. There was a player in him at Wigan, I think we just need to be patient.

Matt, he's awful mate. He's made mistakes in almost every game he's played in. He has no presence in the box, he doesn't tell his defenders what he wants them to do and he lets in soft goals.

I know he's only 24 but he should be showing better by now. Every time he plays you can guarantee we let in soft goals.

He's woeful :(

Just as an FYI Neville Southall never made as first team player till he was 25... at 24 he conceded 5 goals to Liverpool and was sent to Port Vale on loan...

Already today I have seen Evertonians on twitter slating Stanek an 18 year old for a howler - just unbelievable.

Goalkeeping is a very much psychological position and you need to let the mental strength allow the talent to shine through. There is no chance of that happening when you have idiots on social media destroying developing talents.

Just as an FYI Neville Southall never made as first team player till he was 25... at 24 he conceded 5 goals to Liverpool and was sent to Port Vale on loan...

Already today I have seen Evertonians on twitter slating Stanek an 18 year old for a howler - just unbelievable.

Goalkeeping is a very much psychological position and you need to let the mental strength allow the talent to shine through. There is no chance of that happening when you have idiots on social media destroying developing talents.

Must admit, that is bang out of order.

Must admit, that is bang out of order.

Fourthofficial is supposed to be an Everton fan?! He has loads of followers and tweeted the Vine of the howler.

Sooner or later players are going to stop using social media - I know I would. It used to be a case of "don't buy newspapers" as it can destroy your confidence, now we are seeing low level games all over the place with lads learning their trade being totally battered by keyboard warriors.

Matt, he's awful mate. He's made mistakes in almost every game he's played in. He has no presence in the box, he doesn't tell his defenders what he wants them to do and he lets in soft goals.

I know he's only 24 but he should be showing better by now. Every time he plays you can guarantee we let in soft goals.

As I say with all players, I'm not going to write a player off after a handful of dodgy games when theres not been a real chance to prove themselves. Robles is no different in that respect. People are sometimes to quick and willing to judge.

24 is about 3-5 years before a keeper gets really good with a handful of exceptions.

Best attribute a goalkeeper can have apart from reflexes is a personality akin to that of Nicklas Bentner.

"wasn't my fault"

"who are you shouting at"

"you do your job properly, never mind me"

All the best had this midset. Even the ones who made howlers like Grobbelaar.

Everyone has an opinion and rightfully so but mine is Robles is awful.

Slating an 18 year old on social media is just ridiculous. In fact publicly slating one of your own players knowing he'll probably read it isn't the brightest thing to do is it. Players need to be of a strong character if they're going to read about themselves on social media sites. If they're not then they best just not use them because you'll always have clowns abusing them after a bad game or a dip in form. Fortunately it's the minority who do this via social sites and aimed directly at the player.

Back to Robles. Yes it's true about Southall Haf, but do you really think Robles has the attributes to be as good? Granted he's not had a prolonged run in the side but almost every game he has played he's dropped a clanger or had his defence all over the shop. Matt, I'm all for giving players time to develop and giving them a chance but if you're being honest if his name is on the team sheet for Saturday would your heart sink?

If he needs game time farm him out on loan and let him develop that way, I don't want to see his name on the starting sheet of a cup quarter final against Arsenal because he's not good enough. Whether that's a not good enough YET or just not good enough full stop remains to be seen but the chances he's been given thus far he's hardly covered himself in glory or even done enough to instil a belief or put confidence to the fans he's just been poor. Bad handling, poor positional play, poor decision making , no organisation skills to his back four and letting in really soft goals. How long do you let it go on for before you say enough is enough and either put him out on loan or sell him. Personally I think he was cheap for a reason and that reason is he isn't good enough to be a premier league goalkeeper.

Just my opinion mind.

The lad who said Begovic.. Now that's a shout if we could get him and he walk into our team over Howard and Robles. He's a fantastic keeper.

My heart wouldn't sink, the only player I've been disappointed in seeing on the team sheet in the last 5 years was Vic's (I think, I'm sure someone is going to pull me up on this!)

He does make things difficult for himself, I won't deny that, nor am I saying he is the answer. I'm saying its too soon to write him off.

"you do your job properly, never mind me" - too right. If the defence and DCMs do their jobs properly, the keeper should just be a spectator.

Begovic in a hearbeat by the way, but will be top dollar

Edited by Matt

Begovic is an awesome keeper, Liverpool should have signed him not Mignolet.

Goalkeepers are very much a lottery, there is so much that can change in a keepers development either way, unless you have £20m+ to spend on a neuer then you really need to play the numbers game.

All i'm going to say about Robles is that there is no reason he can't be a top class keeper, he's an excellent size for a keeper, has good agility, reflexes. The rest is in his head.

My heart wouldn't sink, the only player I've been disappointed in seeing on the team sheet in the last 5 years was Vic's (I think, I'm sure someone is going to pull me up on this!)

He does make things difficult for himself, I won't deny that, nor am I saying he is the answer. I'm saying its too soon to write him off.

"you do your job properly, never mind me" - too right. If the defence and DCMs do their jobs properly, the keeper should just be a spectator.

Begovic in a hearbeat by the way, but will be top dollar

The defence can't be blamed for keepers dropping clangers though mate can they. It's part of a keepers job to organise his defence, to marshall them, bark orders at them. Whdn he's in goal our defence looks like the keystone cops (i know it's not been great pre season and at leicester but put that aside for now) it also can't be blamed for him letting the ball go through his hands like he had a massive hole in them a la Southampton at home last season.

I do agree with you that players should be given a chance but every time he gets one he cocks something up. I may be wrong on this but in all his appearances for us I don't think he's kept a clean sheet.

Cue someone coming along and blowing that statement right out the water now ;lol:

The defence can't be blamed for keepers dropping clangers though mate can they. It's part of a keepers job to organise his defence, to marshall them, bark orders at them. Whdn he's in goal our defence looks like the keystone cops (i know it's not been great pre season and at leicester but put that aside for now) it also can't be blamed for him letting the ball go through his hands like he had a massive hole in them a la Southampton at home last season.

I do agree with you that players should be given a chance but every time he gets one he cocks something up. I may be wrong on this but in all his appearances for us I don't think he's kept a clean sheet.

Cue someone coming along and blowing that statement right out the water now ;lol:

Agreed thats part of it, but the CBs (and captain in our case) should be doing that too. I was talking ideal world.

Dropping clangers happens to players all over the pitch; over hit backpass, dropped a catch, failed back heel, missing an open goal from 6 yards.

Our defence has looked a shambles with Howard in charge too. Jags should be doing the organizing more than anyone in that back line and he doesnt.

Anyway, we will go around in circles here. Hes young and shown he has potential, has shown he can massively fuck up. Thats just true of every player.

On the topic of Begovic, yes he is a great keeper but I still don't think it would be worth sacrificing Howard for him even if we could. I would personally rank Tim in the top 4/5 keepers in the league and he has now become an icon for the club, he is a big star in America, especially since the World Cup and he is also a go to man for NIke adverts because of his American following. I'm not saying a player should be picked ahead of someone else because they bring other things to the table that makes up for their footballing ability but I think we'd be stupid to even think about replacing him at the moment.

did you watch his FA cup winning campaign? i did, and it was far from woeful. remember the 3-1 or 4-1 battering they gave us at goodison where robles was rock solid?

just cause he had a couple purple patches in the league cup (oviedo broke his leg there, you gonna hold that against him?) doesn't mean anything.

did you watch his FA cup winning campaign? i did, and it was far from woeful. remember the 3-1 or 4-1 battering they gave us at goodison where robles was rock solid?

just cause he had a couple purple patches in the league cup (oviedo broke his leg there, you gonna hold that against him?) doesn't mean anything.

Which 3-1 or 4-1 battering are you talking avout? Do you mean when Wigan knocked us out the FA Cup when Martinez was managing them? It was 3-0 and we sere shite and he virtually had nothing to do vietually all game (assuming you mean this game)

Also having a purple patch means you're playing well not poorly. What the fuck does Oviedo breaking his leg have to do with any of this?

If you want to discuss the player that's fine but don't type absolute drivel that makes no sense whatsoever.

I've watched him quite a few times play for us actually in the flesh watched him and each time he's been poor. Did you see the goal he let in against Southampton? granted any keeper can drop a clanger, his performance in the FA Cup match against Arsenal? along with most of his others??

He can only be judged on his performances here. I'm not interested in his wonderful FA Cup win for Wigan I'm interested in how he does for us and that so far has not been good.

Edited by Paddock

now we have finished slating robles he has not droped any where near the clangers of tim wot do the American's know about football the quote about being an icon in America says it all the first 2 matches in the world cup he was at fault for 2 goals doing his normal thing pushing a shot at him straight back to there players instead of pushing it wide and never has so much rubbish been talked about his last performance 90% of the shots hit he never moved try watching his next game with the sound off. even linaker said if you lift the the ball he goes to ground every time.

We aren't going to get a Keeper like Howard again. He was cheap as he was United 2nd choice keeper at the time, great keeper though! Robles is young but he does look shaky and I hate how he punches the ball out everytime a corner comes in. I get it that you don't want to thumb ball it but at the same time you are giving the opposition a chance again!

Whenever Howard gets injured I don't look forward to the next game, with Robles in nets it doesn't fill me with confidence. When Mucha was at Everton it wasn't to bad, we had two experienced international goalkeepers.

Begovic will be to expensive, will cost 10-20 million. I would take a gamble on Lindigard from United. He looks pretty decent and would be cheaper than Begovic.