IGNORED

Goalkeepers

seve

now we have finished slating robles he has not droped any where near the clangers of tim wot do the American's know about football the quote about being an icon in America says it all the first 2 matches in the world cup he was at fault for 2 goals doing his normal thing pushing a shot at him straight back to there players instead of pushing it wide and never has so much rubbish been talked about his last performance 90% of the shots hit he never moved try watching his next game with the sound off. even linaker said if you lift the the ball he goes to ground every time.

To be fair, up until last season I've been banging on about a new goalie for about 2 seasons prior but in Howards defence he had a good season last season, probably his best in an Everton shirt so deserves the gloves again this season.

Keepers do get better with age of that there is no question. That being said, I would swim all the way to the States with Howard on my back to swap him for Begavic (or a keeper of similar ability) Howard has been guilty of some serious clangers himself but keepers mistakes usually highlight tenfold over an outfield players. A striker misses an easy chance it's not remembered hardly, where as a keeper lets in a soft goal and it's never forgotten.

I personally think the hype over Howard over just one game is ridiculous. Keepers have games like that all the time every Saturday somewhere in the top divisions of football across the globe. It's talked about appreciated and moved on. Howard had a good game against Belgium but hardly enough to change an airports name (i think it was) over it but I guess that's just what our American friends are like and it's benefitting Everton in terms of our global appeal so it's a win win for me.

from the person who sad we aren't going to get another keeper like howard I hope hes right. fergie sold him cheep for a reason im afraid 1 good year out of 7 is not a good record as I said earlier I have never seen an everton goal keeper turn his back in fear just because he was scared of big john terry.

from the person who sad we aren't going to get another keeper like howard I hope hes right. fergie sold him cheep for a reason im afraid 1 good year out of 7 is not a good record as I said earlier I have never seen an everton goal keeper turn his back in fear just because he was scared of big john terry.

Is this a wind up? He's a cracking keeper!

Don't get all the hate towards Howard. He makes the occasional howler, but so do 95% of keepers. Maybe he'd be more well liked if he were fat, Welsh, and an obnoxious loudmouth on Twitter.

Whatever he is now (the fat welsh lad) he was the best keeper in the world at one point.

Robles has disappointed me in his command of his area and his inability to catch the ball from crosses. He needs to sort that out urgently but his all round game is pretty solid for a keeper that age and his shot stopping is pretty good. He managed to replace Al Habsi AT Wigan when he was in the form of career so he definitely has the ability in him. I think some of the stick he does get is a little unnecessary because Howard makes the same mistakes and it barely gets mentioned, but then again he has earned or trust and proven his quality.

Robles has disappointed me in his command of his area and his inability to catch the ball from crosses. He needs to sort that out urgently but his all round game is pretty solid for a keeper that age and his shot stopping is pretty good. He managed to replace Al Habsi AT Wigan when he was in the form of career so he definitely has the ability in him. I think some of the stick he does get is a little unnecessary because Howard makes the same mistakes and it barely gets mentioned, but then again he has earned or trust and proven his quality.

You're forgetting to mention Robles has made mistakes in pretty much every game he's played and doesn't seem to have the leg to be able to kick the ball out of our half of the pitch as well. To be honest there's not one area where he has impressed me.

You're forgetting to mention Robles has made mistakes in pretty much every game he's played and doesn't seem to have the leg to be able to kick the ball out of our half of the pitch as well. To be honest there's not one area where he has impressed me.

Im not forgetting his mistakes at all but they have mainly been mistakes have been in the same areas. Generally claiming the ball from crosses and clearances. Im pretty sure he has a pretty big boot on him but he tries to place the ball as opposed to launch it but he has had varied success to say the least!

For me his shot stopping and reflexes are good. He stays big in 1 v 1 situations and he has a great reach. His distribution at Wigan was pretty good (bar one mistake against Spurs) and he does try and play from the back as opposed to launch it straight down the middle. His positioning is good too.

I admit that if I had only seen him for us, I would be pretty worried, because he certainly hasnt inspired confidence but I am hoping that the promise he showed at Wigan will come through. Im pretty sure we will be seeing him in various comps this season so lets bloody hope so!

Edited by Bailey

Rather than see it as hate towards howard see it as trying to improve the team, as for nevs attitude now id say having stayed loyal to efc all those years when he could have gone to any club in the world and being the best in the world he has earned the right to be obnoxious now and then.

I would have to disagree with you about Howard. I think that he is an outstanding keeper! Everyone's got a different opinion I guess.

Crusty seems you only have a problem with Howard due to the Chelsea game. Just one match? If we were all that harsh we would hate the whole team!

I'd like to see Robles go out on loan somewhere for a full season to get some game time again.

I wouldn't mind seeing him go out on loan either but to do that we would need another keeper. Do we go better than Howard like Begovic for example and make Howard number 2 then have 2 strong keepers and Robles on loan in the hope he develops for when Howard retires because if we don't do that we're still left with a number 2 probably similar to Robles.

Would anyone have Reina.

Can't understand the shite with Reina personally, he's twice the keeper mingolet is yet they seem happy to play with a lesser keeper. Weird.

I only highlighted the Chelsea game but there lots of examples man city aguero near post torres last game near post the list is endless sturridge miles out of his goal easy lob but as you say just my opinion.

The first goal we conceded to Chelsea when we lost 2-1 away season before last where he just let a tame shot bounce off him to Mata for 1-0 was another shocker to be fair.

As I've said, I've advocated for a new keeper for a while now. Howard does get beat an awful lot at his near post and from long range. If he had had a poor season last year I'd be screaming for us to get shut but he did have a good season last year so definitely deserves one more season as number 1. If he doesn't follow that up and keeps letting in soft goals again like in seasons gone (not last season before someone jumps on it) then I think it's time we went for a new keeper.

It would cost £10m plus to replace him with someone better, and is he that bad? No he isn't, he is one of the top 5 keepers for me in the Premier league.

Waste of money trying to replace and improive on him. A good solid keeper,

He's going to need replacing soon anyway due to his age. Begovic at Stoke would more than likely jump at the chance to come here. He'll be snapped up sooner or later by someone so why not get him before it's too late.

Spending that now could save us a lot of time and money in 2-3 years when we would be desperate to replace Howard

just one last thought on this subject the likes of arsenal and spurs and a lot of top European clubs have been after a decent keeper over the last few years we have never received one offer for ours that says a lot weather we would accept it or not is irreverent nobody wants our alleged top 5 in the premier keeper.

just one last thought on this subject the likes of arsenal and spurs and a lot of top European clubs have been after a decent keeper over the last few years we have never received one offer for ours that says a lot weather we would accept it or not is irreverent nobody wants our alleged top 5 in the premier keeper.

He's relatively old, and he is at his level. The club fits him and he fits the club, no reason to change neither for the club or for him.

Arsenal have always tried to spot young talent and Howard is not getting any younger.

Spurs went for Gomes (at the time starting GK for PSV Eindhoven, Brad Friedel as a stop gap, then Lloris who is a young good keeper with some upside).

Outside the Prem each team sort their GK problems within their own country (for example: Madrid bought Diego Lopez when Casillas got injured, 4M€ for an old reliable keeper). No adaptation, no huge wages... Barça wanted potential in Ter-Stegen and someone ready just in case in Claudio Bravo. Bayern got Neuer and now Reina.

I don't see the big deal in having so called big teams sniffing around. Baines has been excellent for some time and yet it was only last summer when a big team tried to buy him.