IGNORED

Manchester City. (away)

Bill

I went onto the Bluemoon Forum and asked if any Members would like to do a pre match interview and was absolutely inundated with replies, so I have to thank the admin first for allowing me to put the request up, and the forum members for a really good response, I chose them in the order they replied and those with the fastest fingers were, Kinky's Blue Socks, NQT, and Rhysonaldinho who shall be shortened to Rhys, thank you all very much for your help, and i'm sure your girlfriends will be pleased to know you have the fastest fingers. :D

Our opponents this weekend are about 30 odd miles up the M62 in that great Metropolis called Manchester. Strangely enough City's history sort of runs parallel with ours in many ways, and it was in 1933 that EFC and MCFC met in the Cup Final and made history by becoming the first teams to wear numbers on their shirts, Everton numbered 1 to 11 and City 12 to 22. Both teams had good spells in the 60s and 70s, we carried it on into the 80s and then slowly began to get overshadowed by our neighbours, but nice to see that both are now in a position to challenge and maybe even replace them. I Don't want to go too deep into our history otherwise it would be an extremely long read, :thumbsup_anim: So lets just crack on with the interview.. Let me start by congratulating you on stuffing Manure the other weekend, well done.

Do you think you get a fair crack of the whip from the TV, Newspapers and the Media in general, or are you like us standing in the shadow of our neighbours and almost ignored.

KinkyBS.. No I don't think we get a fair crack of the whip from the media but it isn't exclusive to us. The media pander to the "big 4" and everyone knows this, but I guess that they're the clubs that bring the biggest revenue for them so there's precious little we can do about it! To be honest though, personally I'm quite happy to be sat in the shadows for the time being. We're improving all the time and if we carry on, it would be very satisfying to upset the apple cart at some point !!

NQT.. Think you're spot on with your comparison at least on MOTD Lee Dixon is a lifelong City fan and he wasn't having any of the rags excuses and he said that it was City that played well. I think also the press and numerous TV pundits hate Sven and they want him to fail.

Rhys.. Thank you, it is always great beating them lot over the road, were making a habit of it now.

I think we've always been looked down on by the media, especially last week with the ****** tributes. Throughout the whole build up to the game, we had the media slating us and saying that we were terrible fans because we were bound to ruin it. But I think this season and especially after the derby, we are starting to get a bit more recognition.

At the start of the 07/08 season what were the City Fans realistic expectations, and have City lived up to it, or fallen a little short.

KinkyBS.. At the start of the season, once we had Sven in place and and the new owner, expectations did rise but we were still on the cautious side. We've had many false dawns at this club and I think we're all pretty wary before getting carried away with ourselves as a result! I would have taken Top 10 at the start of the season but as it has progressed, the expectation level has risen to the point where I would be disappointed if we didn't make top 6 now.

NQT.. After last season under Stuart Pearce and not scoring at home after beating you in January, we hoped for a top half finish, especially when Sven bought five or six players with no time to get the squad bonded or prepared properly for the season. So to be pushing for Europe is above everyone's expectations

Rhys.. Personally, at the start of the season, my aim was for us to be in the top ten, but I think we have exceeded everyone's expectations and I now think that a European place is definitely a target, we might still be able to push you lot all the way for that champions league spot ;)

Do you have any memories of previous meetings between the Clubs, and if so can you tell us why the fixture jogs your memory.

KinkyBS.. Not really, although I do think there is kind of mutual respect between City and Everton fans (in general with a few exceptions!). We're in similar positions really, living in the shadow of our more successful neighbours. !!

NQT.. Only one. It was around 1987, League cup Q/F at your place. We were in the old second division and you were one of Europe's top club sides .We thought we had a chance but you easily duffed us 2-0 Adrian Heath scored and gave us the V's. But what really stuck out was Gary Stevens and Trevor Steven ripping us apart down our left side.

Rhys.. There have been a few, the best games, for me was when we won 5-1, it was the last game of the season and both teams were right at the bottom of the table. Another good memory was the 1-1 when Micah Richards scored in the last minute.

One of my worst memories was the 2-2 in 02/03 season at Goodison, we were winning 2-1 and Everton scored in the dying seconds.

Which players have done extremely well for you this season, and are there any who have been a bit disappointing for you.

KinkyBS.. It would be very difficult to pick 1 to be honest. My personal Favorites this season have been Martin Petrov & Vedran Corluka. Both New signings last summer and both had a major impact on the turn around In how we play the game. Petrov is the best left winger I have seen in Living memory, and Corluka just oozes class. Without going into any Detail as we would be here all day Richards, Dunne, Elano, Hart, Gelson & Johnson have also all had great seasons.

Disappointing me, and it hurts to say this, is Stevie Ireland. But that's only because I rate him so highly. In my opinion he is the most talented footballer our academy has ever produced (and that's out of 25 who broke through including Shaun Wright-Phillips), but for all his talent he just doesn't seem on the money this season. He started great but a series of personal problems (well documented in the press) have maybe halted his progress a bit. He's in need of a rest but I'm sure he'll come back stronger.

NQT.. All of Svens signings have been outstanding with the exception of Bianchi who felt homesick and went back to Italy. But the best thing is how the existing squad has improved especially the academy players like Richards, Johnson, Ireland Onuoha.

Rhys.. Here have been many players who have been immense for us this season. Of course, all the talk has been about Elano and Petrov, who have been outstanding for us this season. Michael Johnson, at the start of the season, looked as good as any midfielder in the world but has had a lengthy spell out with injury. Vedran Corluka for me, has been a class act this season, along with Hamman, Richards, Dunne and Joe Hart. I wouldn't say that there are to many players that I, or any other city fan, would be disappointed in.

Fairly standard question, what do you think of Evertons showing so far this season, and do you rate any of our players.

KinkyBS.. I've been very impressed with Everton this year, you seem to be one of the most efficient teams in the Prem but besides that you have some really good creative players as well. Arteta being the obvious one, but I really rate Steven Pienaar. When I heard you were going in for him I was disappointed that we didn't make an attempt. I saw him play for Ajax a few times and he ran the game, particularly against Arsenal in the CL when he was awesome. Obviously the addition of the Yak as well I think has served you well, not many teams are blessed with such a natural goal scorer who can do it regularly in the Prem. I'd be very surprised if you didn't finish in the top 6 this year or higher!

NQT.. You've done fantastically well this season. It's a shame Phil Neville always gives the rags a goal though.You seem to have a "we will not be beat" mentality.You're not playing the greatest football ever seen, but you're making things extremely difficult for the opposition and the results are following. Everyone rates Arteta and I can't believe Lescott has scored 139 points in the Premier League Fantasy Football. Is he really that good. ?

Rhys.. I think Everton have had a fantastic season, and recent form shows how well they have been doing, losing only two games in the last fourteen in the league and even they where against Manure and Arsenal, There are a few players that stand out for me in your side, Arteta and Yakubu have been excellent, but for me, Tim Cahill is always your best player whenever we play you, I'm hoping that Cahill isn't playing.

Theres talk of EFC moving to a new Stadium, has the new ground Made any difference to you or would you still prefer to have stayed at Maine Road... gates, atmosphere, travel, etc.

KinkyBS.. I'll always hold Maine Road dear but it was definitely time to move the old place was looking tired and dated. For atmosphere you could not beat it however, and we have definitely seen a drop in atmosphere with the move to the new stadium. I think this is gradually coming back though, obviously being helped by performances on the pitch. I think the move was the right one and the COMS feels completely like home now.

NQT.. Personally I couldn't wait to get out of Maine Road. I love the COMS (City of Manchester Stadium). The gates are well up (Maine Road capacity 34,000. COMS 47,000) and we're averaging more than 40,000 a match. As with all clubs moving to a new stadium the atmosphere seems to die, however this season the club's done something about it and introduced a singing section, any seasoncard holder can apply to relocate there and it's made a difference, there again we've got something to sing about now. I don't understand why any football supporter would rather stay in an antiquated stadium with obstructed views and poor facilities.

Rhys.. I prefer the new stadium to Maine road, at Maine road there was always a great atmosphere, but there have been some great games at the new ground that have been outstanding in terms of atmosphere, and I think that in the future we will be getting more revenue and a better atmosphere. Travelling to and from the game isn't really hard for me because I don't really live that far away, but I think there should be more done about the transport to and from the ground, the traffic is abysmal and not very very well organized.

When Bally was at Rangers we had the opportunity to bring him back here, but there was some worry about him having dodgy knees. Hows he doing for you cos he seems to be a regular in the side now.

KinkyBS.. Ball is superb. Good old fashioned no nonsense left back, I just wish he had a bit more going forward. To be fair to him though he is gradually getting better at supporting Petrov but he is a more natural defender. Complete professional as well cos he was out of the side at the start of the year because we signed Javier Garrido, who incidently is great at getting forward but not as good at defending as Ball, a mix of the 2 would be nice! During this time Ball never moaned and just got on with it waiting for his chance, which when he got he took with both hands. One of Pearce's better signings I think!

NQT.. He wasn't Svens first choice as he bought a left back from Spain (Garrido), when Garridos game went off the boil Bally came in and he's proving again to be one of the best English left backs about. There's nowt wrong with his knees and as a free transfer he was an absolute steal.

Rhys.. Bally has been great for us, he has proved to be an excellent full back, he has put in some fantastic performances and he has kept garrido out of the side for some time now.

Sven seems to be steadying things at City, is it because he is a better Manager or is it because of the money he had to spend, i dont remember Stuart Pearce getting any money at all, and thought he was an OK bloke who did a decent job.

KinkyBS.. The difference with the club now, to the club when Pearce was in charge is unrecognisable. I like Pearce he's passionate and always did what he thought was right but you could tell his shortcomings was his inexperience. It's not all about the amount of money spent cos relatively we haven't spent that much money, (only 6th highest spenders in the summer if memory serves). The way we play the game is light years ahead of last season and it is all down to Sven, he likes to keep the ball and be patient (something certain sections of the fans are finding it hard to get used to). All the players love Sven and say it's easy to see why he has such a good track record at club level.

NQT.. How long have you got for me to answer this one? I'll do it as quick as poss. SP started the job well then lost the plot. He never seemed to get the squad to bond, lots of rumours of foreign players and british players not speaking, and it all culminated in Bartons assault on Dabo. We only stayed up last season because we signed Mpenza on a free, that was a total stroke of luck imo. Sven's spent some money but even if SP was given £50M do you think that he'd be able to sell a club that's not playing European football such as City, to a Brazilian international. ? Sven's brilliant, very cool and calm and far more tactically aware that anyone thinks.

Rhys.. People always mention the amount of money Sven has had to spend, but he was only appointed the manager late on in the summer, he has spent well unlike Pearce (Samaras = 6mill + Coradi = 2mill), he has also taken one of the worst teams I have ever seen at city and transformed them into a great attacking side and some of the football has been great to watch. He has also completed the double over manure so, for me, he is the greatest manager ever to manage our club.

And finally how do you think the game will go, forecast the score and scorers if you like.

KinkyBS.. I'm pretty nervous about this one i've got to say, but with the result at the Derby i'm hoping we can kick on properly. Plus we're supposed to have Michael Johnson back as well which will be massive for us. Elano is a much bigger influence when Johnson is in the team. We have a great home record as well. We have only lost one all year and that was to Arsenal 2 weeks ago, so i'm still going to go for a City win (surprisingly!!) at 2-1.

NQT.. You're not scoring many at the moment and neither are we but we've only lost one at home (Arsenal). If a team's going to win it'll be us 1-0, but I fancy a low scoring draw will be the outcome. Not a game for the connoisseur. Just as a footnote. Wouldn't it be brilliant to see Liverpool finish outside the top six.

Rhys.. I think this could be an even match. My heart says 2-1 city, but my head says 1-1, I think with us being at home, and with one of the best home records in the league, we might have the advantage so I'll go with my heart and say 2-1. City scorers = Petrov, Benjani .... Everton scorers = Yakubu.

Thanks again lads for taking the time out to do it, Cheers,

City Last 6 league results. WLDDLW ........... Everton last 6 league results WWWDDW.

My view on the Game .... City have only lost once at home this season and are playing some good football, so they look formidable opponents, but if we have our full squad fit and play it on the floor we should match them. Neville will be hard pushed by Petrov so we need Arteta to raise his game and keep Petrov busy in his own half, I think we can do the damage on the other flank if Pienaar is fit, with a choice of Fernandes, Osman, and Cahill to play inside i think we might be able to sneak it 2-1, but I'll settle for a 1-1 draw if the results over the weekend have gone OK for us. Its certainly not going to be easy.

Bill.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job, Bill! I really enjoyed reading that.

Only lost one home tilt all year...well, they ain't Chelsea so it's about time they lost a second. 1-0 final: Pienaar marks his return to Premiership play by setting up Cahill in the first half, and then we pack in and ride out the City blizzard in the second half.

I think we'll win it. We bottled Petrov right up last time with Hibbert and I think we should look to do the same. City aren't nearly the same threat if he's quiet. The result in midweek will be crucial though, we need to see who we're going to have and what fitness is looking like.

3 - 1 to us, Yak, Cahill and Vaughan late for us, Ireland for them.

Edited by chicagoblue

Based on yesterday's performances I think we might see this:

--------------Howard---------------

-Hibbo---Joey---Jags-----Lescott-

-Arteta----Cars--Neville--Pienaar-

----------AJ--------Yak-----------

I think based on Hibbert's performance last time against Petrov we need to at least try that again. Could they switch Petrov to the wrong side to try and avoid that? Doubtful as his crossing is his biggest threat, especially now that they have a target in Benjani. I imagine Moyes is a bit furious at Fernandes, he doesn't seem to be taking things seriously, like he's preoccupied or something. Shame really, because this is exactly the type of game where I'd personally like to see him partnering Cars in the middle to help Peanuts and Mikel with the service.

If we come right out and hit the stride we played through the second half of Brann with I think we'll catch City off step and should be able to get the result. If not, it will be an ugly battle.

I'm confident though and will stick with my earlier score 3-1 to us, but it'll have to be 2 to Yak and 1 to AJ, still Ireland for them.

If 4-4-2 is going to be played with Carsley holding, i would rather see Osman in the middle and Neville at full back.

But i'm sure Davey will return to 4-5-1 which will be a bit harsh on AJ. but we need a good result from this game.

....................... howard.......................

neville......... yobo........ jags........ lescott

arteta.. cahill... carsley.. osman.. pienaar.

......................Yakubu..........................

Cahill to help out the Yak, thats the team that was playing so well till the boys went to African Nations.

If things are not going to plan he can bring on Manny and AJ to replace Carsley and Cahill and go for it.

I don't want to see Cars and Nev in the middle any more than anyone else. I think Moyes brought on Hibbert and Manny at half time to see if they would be ready for the weekend and rested Cars and Cahill in case he needed them. Hibbert proved he's ready and has already done a job against Petrov, I can't see not giving that to him. Manny, on the other hand, looked completely out of it. I think Moyes has seen that AJ and Yak are coming together up top and a good performance on the weekend could really solidify that. So if he wants to play with 2 up top he knows he needs a really solid midfield. Cahill isn't at his best in a 4 man midfield, Osman might be a little lightweight to battle that out and with Manny off the pace the only option is the two ball magicians that are Cars and the Lurch.

I think Pienaar and Arteta will be able to link up well enough with the two front men to obviate the lack of on the ball quality in the middle of the park.

If that isn't working by half time I can see him bring on Cahill, and Osman to switch back to a 4-5-1.

Of course, only time will tell, and really I blew my wad on the subs prediction yesterday :)

"If that isn't working by half time I can see him bring on Cahill, and Osman to switch back to a 4-5-1."

Could be too late by then Chicago, i believe in starting right and see if it works, and that side playing 4-5-1 put in the performances for our long unbeaten run.

If you start wrong and give them a 2 goal start its too late then to try and make it right.

Licker,

I certainly don't disagree with that, and I think both propositions have their merits. It will be interesting to see what Moyes chooses and your plan certainly makes sense when traveling to a team with such a fantastic home record.

As long as the score line reads well at 90 though I won't much care who's done the job.

How do you drop a man when he's just scored a hatrick?........How do you drop a man when he's just recovered his confidence, scored two excellent goals, hit the post and ran all night?

Yakubu..........AJ.

Away at City unless Moyes has seen something in the City defence to convince him otherwise you would think it would have to be 4-5-1.

Which of the two above mentioned forwards is the best for a 4-5-1...?

I would say probably a revitilsed, confident AJ.....with a slightly rested Cahill back in his best position.After all not losing to City is vital, and that usually means 4-5-1.

Maybe the midfield could be tinkered with slightly to get the best from Yakubu as a lone forward,

but I just think it will be AJ.

Best form of defence is attack!.....Some say! Well then Yakubu and AJ together would be the way.

When the increase in subs arrives in the prem, the squad will probably contain all four of our forwards, yakubu, AJ, Vaughan and Anichebe.....that will be some headache Mr Moyes.

Anyone see Vaughan on the bench against Brann.....looked happy the whole game through, just pleased to be part of the squad!attitude like that from the whole of the squad could see us go a long way this season.

Was Yobo injured or being rested?......Where's he going to fit in if the defence keep playing well ?

He's on 4 yellow cards Eufa, and one more would have kept him out of the next round.

just out of intrest in eufa is there like a swipe section were he go's back to no booking for instance the quatre finals ???

besides that ..........

Dont know what to expect for this one but supose i would be happy with a draw and if we won id start to belive

Picking the team would give me a headache right now so il leave that one to moyes! haha

pienarr is a must mind you being involved in 5 of the 6 goals on thursday. He really shown his significance in the side.