IGNORED

Longest Thread!

Ian

Pleased you got the right result John! Sorry the drugs didn't work too well.

Echo (most of) that; my brother had bowel cancer a few years back so I got checked as a precaution. The colonoscopy they couldn't complete because apparently, though I remember very little of it, I didn't "tolerate" it well despite them topping up the sedative; I was quite distressed apparently. So I then had to have a barium enema which was deeply unpleasant, certainly the professionals treated me with great dignity but it was hard to retain it myself :(. Results were clear though, and my brother's fully recovered; he just needed surgery so no chemo/radiotherapy.

Heard lots of stories over the past year of people being fobbed off by their GPs for all sorts of cancer. The relatively low survival rate for what I had is mostly caused by symptoms not being recognised early enough, but when I first saw my GP I was short of the Dept of Health guidelines for a fast track referral (even though I turned out to be late stage), luckily I have a good GP and he ignored the guidelines and referred me anyway.

So maybe I'm being harsh on GPs, maybe they're just hamstrung by guidelines; but the point is, if you're not happy with a diagnosis keep going back or get a second opinion.

Exactly this. The U.S are far more pro active than we are in their diagnosis. I was told this by a surgeon. If approaching the age of 50, seriously look at the potential of having a check up.

1 in 4 people develop a colonic polyp around the age of 50, they "can" turn cancerous and are therefore removed pretty easily.

Better to know the stats than to just hope it doesn't happen or just goes away. In short - see a G.P and ensure you get looked at properly.

Wilko Johnson cured of "terminal" cancer.

Twenty months ago given ten months to live, says "I'm not hoping for a miracle cure or anything..."

But he found one

Amazing.

Dr Feelgood was the second gig I ever went to in my life, he was/is a stunning and totally unique guitar player!

This is pretty interesting:

Personally, I find it overly intrusive. There's virtually nothing we can do these days without the authorities knowing - using phone, including what is said and from where; using bank or credit cards; driving past cameras; and so on. Now there is talk of drones flying over neighbourhoods with cameras like this. It's a huge infringement of personal liberties. If it means that "louts" can get away with some things, so be it.

It's got to the point in some toll roads in the US where they calculate your average speed based on entry and exit points and send you speeding tickets in the mail. At this point, I always stop at a services area so they don't know my speed.

Related to this: There are so-called "red light" cameras all over the place now in the US. They are money-makers for the local authorities, and one state in particular has reduced dramatically the amount of time allowed to get through a junction before cameras take a picture. This means that even people who drive through a green light are now getting tickets. That in turn has led to cars slamming on their brakes the moment a light turns yellow, which has led to a huge increase in the number of rear-end collisions at traffic lights. In other words, the authorities are already using technologies like this to take advantage and to raise money. It doesn't take too much imagination to see how the authorities could start picking on their "opponents" or blackmail individuals based on activities they spy on.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Related to this: There are so-called "red light" cameras all over the place now in the US. They are money-makers for the local authorities, and one state in particular has reduced dramatically the amount of time allowed to get through a junction before cameras take a picture. This means that even people who drive through a green light are now getting tickets. That in turn has led to cars slamming on their brakes the moment a light turns yellow, which has led to a huge increase in the number of rear-end collisions at traffic lights. In other words, the authorities are already using technologies like this to take advantage and to raise money. It doesn't take too much imagination to see how the authorities could start picking on their "opponents" or blackmail individuals based on activities they spy on.

Haha Steve you're dead on. I have paid about 750 dollars to red light cameras or traffic cameras that are on random streets. They suck.

Here's my take. Either go loose on the traffic laws and keep it like the old days. Or become Germany where it costs like 2000 euro to get a drivers license. That will cut down on unnecessary drivers. Then they also have 3 strikes, 1 ticket/fine is like 500 euro. The second it's 1000 euro or something crazy, the 3rd you can't drive anymore. When I was over there everyone drive fine, because you had to.

Edited by markjazzbassist

Personally, I find it overly intrusive. There's virtually nothing we can do these days without the authorities knowing - using phone, including what is said and from where; using bank or credit cards; driving past cameras; and so on. Now there is talk of drones flying over neighbourhoods with cameras like this. It's a huge infringement of personal liberties. If it means that "louts" can get away with some things, so be it.

It's got to the point in some toll roads in the US where they calculate your average speed based on entry and exit points and send you speeding tickets in the mail. At this point, I always stop at a services area so they don't know my speed.

I agree with a lot of that, but I think people pointing lasers into the cockpits of helicopters (in this case) or passenger aircraft need to be stopped. Potentially disastrous. "Average speed" cameras are in operation over here as well, though I think exclusively through roadwork/lane closure sections.

Different subject but this I find incredible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29666348

Putting aside the "colour" argument, because it's rich v poor imo, what if everyone went that way? Rich split off and form their own communities because they want their "tax dollars" to look after their own, and screw the poor. It's the beginning of any number of sci-fi movies isn't it?

I agree with a lot of that, but I think people pointing lasers into the cockpits of helicopters (in this case) or passenger aircraft need to be stopped. Potentially disastrous. "Average speed" cameras are in operation over here as well, though I think exclusively through roadwork/lane closure sections.

Different subject but this I find incredible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29666348

Putting aside the "colour" argument, because it's rich v poor imo, what if everyone went that way? Rich split off and form their own communities because they want their "tax dollars" to look after their own, and screw the poor. It's the beginning of any number of sci-fi movies isn't it?

I came across that same article the other day and had the same reaction. We face it in our area. Fulton county, which includes the (majority black) city of Atlanta, is an odd shape and encompasses rich (minority white) suburbs in the north. The latter want to break away and form their own county, thereby paying less in taxes and not having to subsidize the city. At least they have history on their side, because there did used to be such a county. Also, city government in Atlanta is notoriously corrupt, and they want to escape this - which goes to show that movements of this type are more complex than they might seem on the surface.

I came across that same article the other day and had the same reaction. We face it in our area. Fulton county, which includes the (majority black) city of Atlanta, is an odd shape and encompasses rich (minority white) suburbs in the north. The latter want to break away and form their own county, thereby paying less in taxes and not having to subsidize the city. At least they have history on their side, because there did used to be such a county. Also, city government in Atlanta is notoriously corrupt, and they want to escape this - which goes to show that movements of this type are more complex than they might seem on the surface.

I've always hear about corrupt Atl is.

I can't find the article anywhere, but MS is the most corrupt state when considering the number of laws combating corruption that have been created recently (and among other things).

In a recent report, corruption is strongly correlated with (i) higher than average government spending and (ii) that spending being on law enforcement and construction and not hospitals and education. So the answers? Cut taxes, reduce police powers, and more education.

The state of Georgia as a whole is not too corrupt, but the city of Atlanta is notorious. Books have been written on it.

i live in new orleans, the most corrupt city in america. the city is so corrupt when each mayor is done serving, they go straight to jail for corruption. see ray nagin and any of his predessors. the police force here are the criminals, so much so the FBI has intervened and is forcing them to sign a consent decree basically saying the FBI can monitor all their activity and fire them. government officials steal so much money from taxpayers that we have the worst schools in the country, most people who graduate high school in public schools can barely read. we lead the country as the "murder capital of the us" with most murders per capita.

atlanta is a walk in the park compared to this hood.

this used to upset me, but then i read a book on the history of the city and realized it's been corrupt and filled with nepotism since the day it began.

Edited by markjazzbassist

• 2 weeks later...

Big day for dying today it seems (I know every day is a big day for dying, around 150,000 worldwide on average it seems).

Bit unhappy about the Casualty lass (though I've never watched the programme so have no idea who she is) popping off shortly after her five year cancer all clear.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest millwallforever

Some inebriated politicians; some being silly.

Note: Brezhnev was not drunk. He suffered from swollen gums. Shoichi Nakagawa, the drunk Japanese politician you see at 3:27, is dead. Some speculate that he may have committed suicide after this public embarrassment.

Edited by millwallforever