IGNORED

Longest Thread!

Ian

A bit below the belt, Mike. These guys are heroes and most likely saved a lot of lives.

They probably did, it was tongue in cheek and just a gentle dig at the record of the US military in general.

Heroes? Possibly, but the word has been devalued for me in recent times due to over-usage; it's effectively meaningless now as far as I'm concerned.

Pretty horrific this. apparently only seven dead and the pilot is still alive. Would be amazed if the number didn't go up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GITF-q0I7PQ#t=99

that was like 15 mins down the road from me. everybody is still very taken a back from it as they slowly announce who the victims are, they have just said this morning that Worthing Utd lost 2 players on the way to a match in the disaster

Edited by Simon

I read something in the paper about hitch-hiking and it reminded me of when I was an expert hitch-hiker back in 1954 when doing National Service. Before I was posted to Singapore I was stationed at Nottingham for three or four months and whenever I could get a week-end pass I used to hitch-hike from Nottingham to Leeds (no Motorways in those days). There was no point in hitching on local roads, so we had about a mile to walk from camp to reach the main road. One Saturday I had walked about half a mile from camp and a car stopped. The driver asked me if I wanted a lift and where was I going. I said 'Leeds' and he said 'Is City Square OK'. He happened to be going to Leeds and dropped me in the City centre. On another occasion I was on the A1 south of Doncaster, it was snowing. A bread van stopped and said he could take me through to the other side of Doncaster which was a big help. As there were two guys in the front they said I would have to go in the back, standing between the racks of bread, cakes and pies. We had just started off when one of the guys shouted 'help yourself to a pie. It didn't half go down well. In later life I did a lot of driving all over the UK and never failed to stop for anyone in uniform.

I read something in the paper about hitch-hiking and it reminded me of when I was an expert hitch-hiker back in 1954 when doing National Service. Before I was posted to Singapore I was stationed at Nottingham for three or four months and whenever I could get a week-end pass I used to hitch-hike from Nottingham to Leeds (no Motorways in those days). There was no point in hitching on local roads, so we had about a mile to walk from camp to reach the main road. One Saturday I had walked about half a mile from camp and a car stopped. The driver asked me if I wanted a lift and where was I going. I said 'Leeds' and he said 'Is City Square OK'. He happened to be going to Leeds and dropped me in the City centre. On another occasion I was on the A1 south of Doncaster, it was snowing. A bread van stopped and said he could take me through to the other side of Doncaster which was a big help. As there were two guys in the front they said I would have to go in the back, standing between the racks of bread, cakes and pies. We had just started off when one of the guys shouted 'help yourself to a pie. It didn't half go down well. In later life I did a lot of driving all over the UK and never failed to stop for anyone in uniform.

I hitch-hiked with my girlfriend from the south east to south Wales in about 1978. We were planning on visiting family she had in Aberystwyth but it took us three days 'til we gave up when we found a really nice place (Newport, Pembrokeshire) with a great beach, camp site and a couple of top pubs. As we had to be back at work on the Monday we took no risks and left on the Thursday, first lift we got within minutes was a lorry which dropped us outside our front door later that day :rolleyes:.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/virginia-police-shooting-live-television-news-report/

A television reporter and cameraman go to do a local report for a news company and end up being killed by a shooter live on television.

There's a video of it here, shocking, but not graphic thankfully.

http://fox13now.com/2015/08/26/suspected-shooter-investigation-involving-news-crew-in-virginia/

Not sure where to post this. Some years ago, I did an extensive family history search and on the way I decided to link various historical happenings, including football and Everton related issues, to the family history.

My great Grandfather - Charles Henesy 1860 - 1948

Grandfather - Charles Henesy 1881 - 1953

Father - Charles Henesy 1907 - 2000

When the F A produced the first rules for the game of football in 1863 my great grandfather was 3.

He was 18 when Everton football club was formed.

He was 11 when the FA Cup was launched.

He was 15 when crossbars were installed.

He was 28 when Everton joined the league

He was 30 when goal nets were introduced.

Grandfather was 7 when the leagues started.

He was 25 when Everton won the cup for the first time.

He was 52 when Eveerton won the cup for the second time.

My Dad was 26 when Everton won the cup for the second time..

(Didn't do any more as Dad supported Liverpool)

Edited by johnh

Incidentally, my local team Maidenhead United, were one of the 15 teams who played in the very first FA Cup round - 1871. They played local rivals Marlow.

Bit of a coincidence because I was going to watch Maidenhead Rugby playing a pre-season friendly against Marlow this evening but its peeing down.

That image made me sick to my stomach :(

There's quite a few petitions going, here's the official government one:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/105991

Disgusted with the BBC at the moment. They should be explaining the difference between migrants and refugees, but instead are completely mislabeling everything. Just for the record:

MIGRANT - Also called migrant worker. a person who moves from place to place to get work, especially a farm laborer who harvests crops seasonally. This is basically anyone who moves to a foreign country in search of a better life, usually for work (like so many footballers)

REFUGEE - a person who flees for refuge or safety, especially to a foreign country, as in time of political upheaval, war, etc. This is basically anyone running for their lives, nothing more and is not just limited to war time or politics, but also for fear of the lives due to their religious beliefs, sexual orientation

I'm technically an immigrant in Switzerland.

According to the sister of the father of that boy, he was only coming over here with his family for free teeth care.

I hope he'll think his pearly whites are worth the lives of his children.

According to the sister of the father of that boy, he was only coming over here with his family for free teeth care.

I hope he'll think his pearly whites are worth the lives of his children.

He was trying to get to Canada, not here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34141716

Where did that story come from?

Googling "Abdullah Kurdi dental care" gives nothing.