IGNORED

Longest Thread!

Ian

On 25/04/2020 at 12:57, Matt said:

Was my go to the 2 times I got jumped! In the words of the great Sam Vimes “if it means you get to fight another day, fight dirty”

Yes, if someone throws punches at me in the street then as far as I'm concerned the Marquess of Queensbury rules are redundant.

• 2 weeks later...

had what i thought was a heart attack last week (i had all the textbook symptoms).  went to the ER and had the gamut of tests run and stayed the night and was discharged in the morning.  seen a cardiologist and had a stress test and i'm fine and healthy, have one more test on friday.  my family has a history of heart disease (father, grandfathers, etc), and my father and brother both have atrial fibrillation (i do not thankfully).  I'm fine now and feel fine, happy to be healthy, and thankful that it wasn't something serious.  although to have better health in the future my wife and i are going back to being vegetarians (we were for 7 years, off for 5 years) and have stopped drinking booze altogether.  might seem drastic but my dad's health has been bad since he was 50 and he's 70 now and being in and out of the hospital for 20 years with him i'm not interested in having that life.  going to try and beat these things with diet as much as i can (i already exercise plenty)

• 3 weeks later...

Well here's a thing. I already knew that I had a famed scientist (great grandfather) in my family but it transpires I have another one! Just this morning my cousin set up a Faceache group and so far we have relatives from England, Scotland, Canada and Australia on board and I've been told about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_John_Macquorn_Rankine who is a great great great something. The really cool bit (for me) is that he has a "small impact crater near the eastern limb of the Moon" named after him! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rankine_(crater) Top that Klopp😂

Think I'll buy one of these!

What Engineer Navy T-Shirt Front

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Matt said:

Booked 3 nights in one of these for my birthday weekend in August, very excited!

https://booking.camping-guide.ch/lazyrancho/en/booking/8-holz-iglu.html

also waiting to hear back from the hotel where I met my wife for our 10th anniversary, insane that it’s gone by so quickly 

They look a bit like the old style Romany Caravans with out wheels, I love that sort of thing, quality. 

15 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Me too you get the best of both worlds, Mandy and I have always said we should Glastonbury in one of their Yurts, but try booking one near on impossible. 

I bet it is! Always fancied Glastonbury in its early years but too big for me now, Reading was my regular one in my late teens. Having lived in Glastonbury itself (different planet) and the area for a while though it still annoys me (being the petty minded pedant that I am) that the festival is actually in the village of Pilton with the nearest town being Shepton Mallett three miles away. Glastonbury itself is seven miles away, but I don't think, "Welcome to Shepton Mallett!" being screamed from the stage would carry the same romanticism😂

Certainly (having lived in both places) Glastonbury as a town is barely touched by the festival whereas the Shepton Mallett booze outlets do a roaring trade and the town is over-run.

i have a small tent trailer (pop up camper it's also called) that we camp in.  my family had one growing up and we traveled all over the US camping in national parks and state parks.  it was extremely economical (otherwise we couldn't have afforded vacations) and fun.  we've decided to do it with our family now too, our kids love it, and my wife and i enjoy the outdoors.  it is still very very cheap.  a campsite is 30 a night, a hotel would be 150 a night.  you have the upfront cost of the camper but after that it's just small maintenance.  

i wouldn't call it glamping, that is those 50 foot motorhomes where the people never leave and it's basically their house on wheels.  that i would consider glamping. 

5 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i have a small tent trailer (pop up camper it's also called) that we camp in.  my family had one growing up and we traveled all over the US camping in national parks and state parks.  it was extremely economical (otherwise we couldn't have afforded vacations) and fun.  we've decided to do it with our family now too, our kids love it, and my wife and i enjoy the outdoors.  it is still very very cheap.  a campsite is 30 a night, a hotel would be 150 a night.  you have the upfront cost of the camper but after that it's just small maintenance.  

i wouldn't call it glamping, that is those 50 foot motorhomes where the people never leave and it's basically their house on wheels.  that i would consider glamping. 

We call it a caravan of my in-laws thing is to go by

21 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I bet it is! Always fancied Glastonbury in its early years but too big for me now, Reading was my regular one in my late teens. Having lived in Glastonbury itself (different planet) and the area for a while though it still annoys me (being the petty minded pedant that I am) that the festival is actually in the village of Pilton with the nearest town being Shepton Mallett three miles away. Glastonbury itself is seven miles away, but I don't think, "Welcome to Shepton Mallett!" being screamed from the stage would carry the same romanticism😂

Certainly (having lived in both places) Glastonbury as a town is barely touched by the festival whereas the Shepton Mallett booze outlets do a roaring trade and the town is over-run.

I’m sure it was Shepton Mallet that I did some work in the office of a meat processing factory, back in the late 80s early 90s, if I remember rightly there was an uproar when we there, they got told they were closing. 
Does that make any sense to you Mike or am I thinking of somewhere else. 

Just now, Palfy said:

I’m sure it was Shepton Mallet that I did some work in the office of a meat processing factory, back in the late 80s early 90s, if I remember rightly there was an uproar when we there, they got told they were closing. 
Does that make any sense to you Mike or am I thinking of somewhere else. 

Moved there in 1995 Palf so maybe a bit before my time. Wouldn't surprise me though, it was a very sad place back then with loads of industry shutting down, there was a big Dr Martens factory which bit the dust for far east manufacture. The only successful enterprise when we were there was the massive cider factory, still operating under a different guise as https://brotherscider.co.uk/#

They made Babycham there in our time and had a huge "Babycham deer" on the roof of one of their buildings and the smell some days would get you half pissed before you even reached the pub! Loved the house we had there and it was Josh's first home but it was dead on its feet as a town so we left. Very interesting old prison though, still operating when we lived there, couple of the wardens were mates. Now closed and open to the public, keep meaning to visit.

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

keep meaning to visit.

Be careful you might not get out. 
I also did a bit of work in a milk bottling plant not far from you near the carpet factory, I’m sure it was on or next to the estate that had blobby land, now that place did stink of cream just turning it was one of those smells you could taste. 

38 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i have a small tent trailer (pop up camper it's also called) that we camp in.  my family had one growing up and we traveled all over the US camping in national parks and state parks. 

We came very close to buying one of them over the years, they look like the ideal combination of tent and caravan, but in the end we always stuck with tents. Small ones to start with but building up to palatial three bed-roomed 12 berth with thick rugs and room for a pony plus kitchen better than we had at home😂 

Happy days.

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Be careful you might not get out. 
I also did a bit of work in a milk bottling plant not far from you near the carpet factory, I’m sure it was on or next to the estate that had blobby land, now that place did stink of cream just turning it was one of those smells you could taste. 

Talking Axminster and Cricket St Thomas now mate. Milk bottling doesn't surprise me, the "local" company handling what used to be the MMB's job is https://www.gregory.co.uk/ which is at least a local company made good after more than 100 years. They actually offered me a job many moons back and I chose instead to buy a franchise elsewhere, probably one of the biggest mistakes of my life. 

5 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Talking Axminster and Cricket St Thomas now mate. Milk bottling doesn't surprise me, the "local" company handling what used to be the MMB's job is https://www.gregory.co.uk/ which is at least a local company made good after more than 100 years. They actually offered me a job many moons back and I chose instead to buy a franchise elsewhere, probably one of the biggest mistakes of my life. 

That’s it I’m sure it was called Cricket St Thomas dairy 🥛