IGNORED

Longest Thread!

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about a quarter of a mile from this, was a huge flash immediately followed by the biggest thunderclap I've ever heard...

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/storm-claudio-devon-pre-school-7772299

Scared the crap out of me, must've been awful for the kids and teachers; lucky no real harm done.

Came totally out of the blue, wasn't even raining.

To quote a recent article, "there’s a huge difference between a queen and a queen consort. Camilla is 100 percent not going to be the former." Put another way, "'Queen Consort' is the traditional title for the wife of a reigning monarch. The title of 'Queen' is reserved only for female rulers who became monarch through the line of succession."

It is therefore highly inappropriate for the "new cypher of Camilla" to combine "her initial 'C' and 'R' for Regina, the Latin word for queen". 'Conjugis' is the Latin for 'Consort', so surely her new cypher should be 'CC', not 'CR'.

3 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:
To quote a recent article, "there’s a huge difference between a queen and a queen consort. Camilla is 100 percent not going to be the former." Put another way, "'Queen Consort' is the traditional title for the wife of a reigning monarch. The title of 'Queen' is reserved only for female rulers who became monarch through the line of succession."

It is therefore highly inappropriate for the "new cypher of Camilla" to combine "her initial 'C' and 'R' for Regina, the Latin word for queen". 'Conjugis' is the Latin for 'Consort', so surely her new cypher should be 'CC', not 'CR'.

Or should it be WGAF, Who Gives A Fuck😂

• 4 weeks later...

It's difficult to believe a conversation like this can take place in today's Britain (between the late queen's lady-in-waiting and the head of a British charity named Sistah Space). Maybe it's more prevalent among the older generation, or is it the upper classes, but this reveals persistent and in-grained racism.

Lady SH: Where are you from?

Me: Sistah Space.

SH: No, where do you come from?

Me: We're based in Hackney.

SH: No, what part of Africa are you from?

Me: I don't know, they didn't leave any records.

SH: Well, you must know where you're from, I spent time in France. Where are you from?

Me: Here, the UK.

SH: No, but what nationality are you?

Me: I am born here and am British.

SH: No, but where do you really come from, where do your people come from?

Me: 'My people', lady, what is this?

SH: Oh I can see I am going to have a challenge getting you to say where you're from. When did you first come here?

Me: Lady! I am a British national, my parents came here in the 50s when...

SH: Oh, I knew we'd get there in the end, you're Caribbean!

Me: No, lady, I am of African Caribbean descent and British nationality.

SH: Oh so you're from...

If we are going to call this racial discrimination then god help us. For me this was clearly an 83 year old lady who was trying to ascertain where the other persons culture was from, albeit it a very ingnorant way of going about it. The charity worker hit the nail on the head, when she said " I didn't want her to resign in my CULTURE we respect our elders, she just needed talking too " Yes she is British she was born in Britain, she will I assume hold a British passport, and she prefers to be associated with an African-Caribbean culture which is her right. Personally I feel the questioning was to find out her cultural heritage, but in a haphazard clumsy way by an elderly person who clearly lacked the skills to interact, and not by a committed racist. 

As Brits abroad we get asked by people of all nationalities where we come from - it's an icebreaker and showing an interest. Holiday of choice is a cruise so multi national crew. I get the impression they like being asked about their home country and are happy to tell us how they live. Often near poverty but their jobs, though hard, give their families a much better standard of living and they say it is their choice.

29 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

As Brits abroad we get asked by people of all nationalities where we come from - it's an icebreaker and showing an interest.

She told the woman where she was from (the UK) early on in the conversation, but Hussey wasn't having it.

She's been in the royal household for 62 years, and presumably she's been on many commonwealth trips so should know how to talk to people; unless she's losing her marbles, in which case why was she there?

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

She told the woman where she was from (the UK) early on in the conversation, but Hussey wasn't having it.

She's been in the royal household for 62 years, and presumably she's been on many commonwealth trips so should know how to talk to people; unless she's losing her marbles, in which case why was she there?

So there for she's a racist, and went out of her way to deliberately in front of others racially abuse this woman. Utter nonsense and disrespectful to 83 year old women, what Hussey imo was trying to ask was where her heritage originated from, and it's been completely blown out of all proportion by the press who like to sensationalise a misunderstanding, and those who believe they are whiter than white, and by those who think they have found another stick to use to beat the Royals with. What I would say to most of these people is carry on watching the World Cup, and showing your support for a country that is racist, homophobic, and has a disgusting human rights history because that must make you feel so much better about yourselves. 

3 minutes ago, Palfy said:

So there for she's a racist, and went out of her way to deliberately in front of others racially abuse this woman. Utter nonsense and disrespectful to 83 year old women, what Hussey imo was trying to ask was where her heritage originated from, and it's been completely blown out of all proportion by the press who like to sensationalise a misunderstanding, and those who believe they are whiter than white, and by those who think they have found another stick to use to beat the Royals with. What I would say to most of these people is carry on watching the World Cup, and showing your support for a country that is racist, homophobic, and has a disgusting human rights history because that must make you feel so much better about yourselves. 

Will have to agree to differ on this one.

2 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Will have to agree to differ on this one.

On what point, Hussey or those that watch the World Cup, or both. Personally I can't believe the brass neck of some people who consider a 83 year old women a racist, because she's has inadequately messed up what she was trying to convey. But I fail to see any defence for people who watch the World Cup knowing what we know about the country's regime it's being played in. I love football but I can't put my pleasure of the game in front of all the people have and will continue to suffer Qatar. 

18 minutes ago, Palfy said:

On what point, Hussey or those that watch the World Cup, or both. Personally I can't believe the brass neck of some people who consider a 83 year old women a racist, because she's has inadequately messed up what she was trying to convey. But I fail to see any defence for people who watch the World Cup knowing what we know about the country's regime it's being played in. I love football but I can't put my pleasure of the game in front of all the people have and will continue to suffer Qatar. 

I didn't make any mention of the World Cup, because there's no comparison between the two things; so just Hussey.

10 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I didn't make any mention of the World Cup, because there's no comparison between the two things; so just Hussey.

Well I can't agree with you Mike, those who watch the World Cup in my opinion have a lot to answer for to the millions of gays who are being punished for their homosexuality,women who are treated as citizens with no voice and restricted rights, and migrant workers who are being treated no better than slaves. Now I know this isn't just the preserve of Qatar, but many country's in the world. Yet what an opportunity for people against any of the injustices above, to send a message to these regimes that we don't agree with their values by simply switching off the World Cup, instead of making it a success and sending out a message that we don't care. 

12 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Well I can't agree with you Mike, those who watch the World Cup in my opinion have a lot to answer for to the millions of gays who are being punished for their homosexuality,women who are treated as citizens with no voice and restricted rights, and migrant workers who are being treated no better than slaves. Now I know this isn't just the preserve of Qatar, but many country's in the world. Yet what an opportunity for people against any of the injustices above, to send a message to these regimes that we don't agree with their values by simply switching off the World Cup, instead of making it a success and sending out a message that we don't care. 

So now you've shifted from no mention of Hussey to exclusively World Cup talk, goalposts moved.

I've said nothing positive about Qatar or the WC coverage; I've watched virtually none of it, just followed on BBC text.

Qatar being a horrible state doesn't excuse a lifetime representative of our royals being obnoxious, there's no connection. Being 83 years old doesn't excuse flagrant racism.

6 minutes ago, MikeO said:

So now you've shifted from no mention of Hussey to exclusively World Cup talk, goalposts moved.

I've said nothing positive about Qatar or the WC coverage; I've watched virtually none of it, just followed on BBC text.

Qatar being a horrible state doesn't excuse a lifetime representative of our royals being obnoxious, there's no connection. Being 83 years old doesn't excuse flagrant racism.

Well I don't find the Royals obnoxious, and I don't believe Hussey to be a flagrant racist or any other sort of racist. So I suppose that makes me a racist for supporting someone who was being inquisitive about someone's heritage. Of all the interviews I've seen of Ngozi Fulani I haven't once seen her use the word racist or accuse Hussey of being a racist. 

13 hours ago, Palfy said:

If we are going to call this racial discrimination then god help us. For me this was clearly an 83 year old lady who was trying to ascertain where the other persons culture was from, albeit it a very ingnorant way of going about it. The charity worker hit the nail on the head, when she said " I didn't want her to resign in my CULTURE we respect our elders, she just needed talking too " Yes she is British she was born in Britain, she will I assume hold a British passport, and she prefers to be associated with an African-Caribbean culture which is her right. Personally I feel the questioning was to find out her cultural heritage, but in a haphazard clumsy way by an elderly person who clearly lacked the skills to interact, and not by a committed racist. 

That was what i thought as soon as i read about it, that she was in a stupid way trying to have a conversation about her heritage and made a complete ass of it.

20 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Of all the interviews I've seen of Ngozi Fulani I haven't once seen her use the word racist or accuse Hussey of being a racist. 

She's been kind and just used words like "interrogation" and "abuse". So that's OK then:rolleyes:.

Also said, "Let us be clear what this is. I've heard so many suggestions it's about her age and stuff like that, and I think that's kind of a disrespect - an ageism kind of thing."

12 minutes ago, MikeO said:

She's been kind and just used words like "interrogation" and "abuse". So that's OK then:rolleyes:.

No I never said that was alright, but to interrogate, abuse, and violate someone's space doesn't make you a racist. I don't know how you can judge whether she was being kind, surely you would have to personally know a person to make that sort statement on their character. 

6 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Does, at the very least, make you a very obnoxious person though. 

Maybe, but if I was accused of the above I'd rather defend the fact that I'm being accused of being obnoxious, than defend the accusation that I was a being accused of being a racist. 

9 hours ago, MikeO said:

Does, at the very least, make you a very obnoxious person though. 

9 hours ago, Palfy said:

Maybe, but if I was accused of the above I'd rather defend the fact that I'm being accused of being obnoxious, than defend the accusation that I was a being accused of being a racist. 

Further on I have today been reading some published responses from the public, I have not found one Black person who disclosed that they were Black who felt Hussey was in any way a Racist in her attempts to find out the heritage of Fulani. I will post an extract of a letter from one person who said, he knows what it's like to be a victim of racism through many different forms. 
Ms Fulani was asked a simple question where she was "really from". So what? I am asked this question almost daily - a perfectly normal and acceptable inquiry 'small talk' at a social gathering among strangers. I always proudly reply that while I am British citizen, my roots are in South Africa a straight answer to a straight question. Why couldn't Ms Fulani have done the same instead of being obtuse and turning the whole thing into a racial issue. And there is one of the most credible and sensible responses to this whole situation, I could post plenty more like that from people who have experienced racism, and say this is not racism, I could also post plenty of white people who say it's racism, and point the finger at the Royals, obviously Republicans who are using it to take a swipe at the Roylists and the Royal Family, but not all the letters I read from whites condemned Hussey for being. I will leave you with short response from a white person in Croydon. "People who believe that was racist are the main reason why racism won't die ". And when you consider that there are so many reasons why he's right, and the biggest for me that I gleamed from that for myself, was the more time people spend on trying to accuse non racist of being racist, the more time you allow the true racist to carry on destroying society and causing real harm.

Surely it's up to the person on the receiving end of an experience, whether that be racist, sexist, ageist etc, to decide what they felt and not for other people to tell them what it was or wasn't?

If one person doesn't feel offended or discriminated against, then that's fine, but it should be understood and accepted that another person can and will feel differently about the same situation.

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Surely it's up to the person on the receiving end of an experience, whether that be racist, sexist, ageist etc, to decide what they felt and not for other people to tell them what it was or wasn't?

If one person doesn't feel offended or discriminated against, then that's fine, but it should be understood and accepted that another person can and will feel differently about the same situation.

Agreed people will feel affected differently by situations than others might, but that shouldn't allow people to call someone a racist because that's how they feel. In fairness Fulani has not once called Hussey a racist, I would like to think that's because she never felt it was racial abuse, and wouldn't want to demean what racial abuse really is.  

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Agreed people will feel affected differently by situations than others might, but that shouldn't allow people to call someone a racist because that's how they feel. In fairness Fulani has not once called Hussey a racist, I would like to think that's because she never felt it was racial abuse, and wouldn't want to demean what racial abuse really is.  

If she'd have been white it wouldn't have happened, it happened because of the colour of her skin.

How is that not racism?