IGNORED

Video Game Thread

dark

have you checked the t and c? it seems the servers will go down in january and there isn't actually much you can do accordin to some techy forums..it's bullshit

Unfortunately they are not legally required to provide servers beyond a certain point. Online game servers (When provided directly by the developer rather than the community) always have a limited lifespan. And you have no entitlement to the developer providing support beyond a reasonable timeframe. Unfortunately Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment have been in receivership since early this year and MGM obviously cannot allow a shell of a company with no future hold the license for a franchise with such potential.

Stargate Resistance itself is only a hobbled together game built from the scraps of the MMO Stargate Worlds that Cheyenne were developing prior to their financial difficulties which they sold to another developer to raise cash. I didn't even know they managed to release it and all sources seem to suggest that it's utter shite!

In future when buying an online-only (or an online heavy game like Call of Duty) game that doesn't require a post-purchase subscription check that it has been reviewed well or popular enough as a game will only be supported for as long as it is profitable for the developer to do so. Also check whether or not the game developer directly provide the game servers or only operate a master 'list' server. Directly provided servers are always a flashing warning sign to me as developers can shut them down at any stage. A master 'list' server that only lists all the available community servers is far far cheaper and allows for games to survive for decades in some cases (Such as the older Quakes/Dooms and most notably Counter-Strike)

Thanks for that guys.

It's not a great game Ian but Josh is obsessed with all things Stargate and it's the only option there is gamewise :( .

Thanks for that guys.

It's not a great game Ian but Josh is obsessed with all things Stargate and it's the only option there is gamewise :( .

Hopefully MGM making the decision to revoke the license will mean that something else is in the pipeline. Would love a decent SG game as I was a massive SG-1 fan.

Have a look on www.AVforums.com

Something like this will see you right: ONKYO HT-S3305B

Cheers Louis! Ive no idea how it will all setup to be honest. All the surround sound systems seem to need a DVD/BluRay player to connect through. My PS3 is a Bluray player and ive no idea if I can use it in the same way as Ive seen.

edit: and oh, how do you know if its wireless or not? At least the rear speakers.

Edited by Matt

You can use a ps3 with that surround sound set up easily enough. It's just one cable (HDMI connection) and it is compatible with SKY etc. too without having to start changing cables everytime you want to watch something on a different video source. The one I linked above contains an AV amplifier, not a DVD/Blu-Ray player so you just plug everything into that.

The wireless kits are a waste of time IMO because they require two wires (one each from left and right speaker) to connect to the wireless receiver which in turn requires an electrical outlet. The wireless receiver is usually sold separately too and costs around £70-90

Have you checked the firewall settings through the Control Panel to make sure that Steam is allowed through it?

What Ian said sounds right, you'll need to go into your firewall settings and add steam as an exception to the rule.

Doesn't work....it's set to allow Steam and the individual games through but they won't work unless I disable it completely.

It's OK on my laptop (windows7) but not on his PC (which is Vista). It was fine to start with but game by game they started failing. It's not an unusual problem if you search the web, various solutions put forward but none successful so far.

The firewall's part of McAfee btw if that makes any difference rather than Windows.

Doesn't work....it's set to allow Steam and the individual games through but they won't work unless I disable it completely.

It's OK on my laptop (windows7) but not on his PC (which is Vista). It was fine to start with but game by game they started failing. It's not an unusual problem if you search the web, various solutions put forward but none successful so far.

The firewall's part of McAfee btw if that makes any difference rather than Windows.

Your problem is twofold:

1) McAfee is a piece of pseudo-viral malware shite

2) Vista is utter, utter trash

I'd advise you to either go back to Windows XP or upgrade to Windows 7. Both of which are stable and relatively bugfree. Oh and delete that McAfee trash and download AVG anti-virus. The free version. The Windows Firewall is more than sufficient.

I'd advise you to either go back to Windows XP or upgrade to Windows 7. Both of which are stable and relatively bugfree. Oh and delete that McAfee trash and download AVG anti-virus. The free version. The Windows Firewall is more than sufficient.

I always used AVG until I switched internet to BT and they come with free McAfee....not had any real problem with it :unsure: .

Agree about Vista though....bit pricey to upgrade though isn't it? Don't reallt want to go back to XP (if it's even possible).

I always used AVG until I switched internet to BT and they come with free McAfee....not had any real problem with it :unsure: .

Agree about Vista though....bit pricey to upgrade though isn't it? Don't reallt want to go back to XP (if it's even possible).

McAfee is bloated crap that does not want to be deleted. It's basically bloatware that's eating your system resources to do a job that your operating system does better on its own. AVG Free is a perfectly good virus scanner that, simply, only scans for viruses. I've helped a lot of friends and neighbours out with their computers, and whenever someone has a problem with a slow computer it is ALWAYS caused by either:

1) McAfee or Norton 'security suites' eating up a load of system resources

or

2) A virus or a plethora of malware that was/were missed by McAfee or Norton

I would never use any other firewall other than the Windows one. You're simply adding another layer of compatibility issues that may or may not give you problems. Every program works with Windows Firewall perfectly, because if they didn't then they wouldn't be able to be released.

And as regards Windows Vista, I will strongly advise you either to upgrade or downgrade. I can see no reason to use Vista over using XP. XP is far far faster and has no compatibility or stability issues. And if you want a 'modern' operating system with all the bells and whistles then Windows 7 is your only option. Vista gave me nothing but bother when it came to gaming and graphics drivers.

Edited by Ian C

Using ESet Nod32 myself, no dramas yet and it has picked up multiple nasties thus far..

Speaking of GAMING!

I'm 3rd in the league after a crappy start, 35 games down, Man City is in 2nd on goal difference, both of us are on 76pts.. The Shite are on 80pts and I have a game against them coming up... I'm confident I can beat them but I require them to drop 5pts and pickup all 9pts myself, whilst hoping Citeh drop 1pt or I pile on the goals...

I frickin love the new personality/skill traits because now Cahill IS a prolific header of the ball in-game and Bilya can belt them in from distance! B)

Edited by inertia8

Not heard of it mate, sorry.

Welp, everything I hoped would happen came to pass... I beat blackpool 6-0, followed by a 2-0 win over The Shite at Analfield.. this took my GD over them to +2, crucial if I drew my last game and they lost.. However Chelski did them a favour and nicked it 2-1 in the 2nd half, I had an arsey Shaun Wright Phillips cross turned in by Cahill on the 16th minute then hung on for dear life against a bloody aggressive Arsenal side eventually managing to end the game 1-0..

Disappointed with the buggy game.. it kept on having a news article about Man Citeh in a fierce title battle with The Shite.. overlooking the fact that Everton were the only team that could catch them :unsure:. Then the ultimate insult.. the commentary said "Everton have finished 2nd... when in fact we'd won the league... a bit of fanfare after the game with Blue/White streamers made me think I'd won it and thankfully the FT scores at the end showed it to be fact... Not one single news article or e-mail said anything about winning the league though.. strange.

Also strange was that they seemed to think Everton had money to give me for the transfer window... $32mil all told because of league position and F.A Cup win..

Soo perhaps FIFA12 will get some of these ironed out.. at least the gameplay has improved IMHO. :)

I've got FIFA 11 but don't think much of it to be honest. I have a 13 year old cousin who plays it and he's wasted £60 on Ultimate Team card packs :o:o

Congratulations on seeing sense marcopaulo ;)

Lost planet is meant to be quite good, I played the demo but I wasn't any good.

You need to download these games:

http://marketplace.x...15-d80258410a70

http://marketplace.x...15-d80258410a71

Both are free and pretty fun..

check out my pathetic gamertag :P it'll grow soon :lol:

fyi incase anyone wants to get one for their sig go to gamercard just incase people didn't know!

goin out to girlfriends tomorrow but goin to gamestation first got me a list to get :D

Gears of War 2

Resident Evil 5

20 quid for pair can't argue and i love them both!

Fifa 11(obviously) :P

Mass Effect 2(never played but loved one..anyone know about it?)

Fallout New Vegas(played at mates and well into it)

Final Fantasy XIII(just cos i love ff games! again anyone else played?)

ME2, surpasses the first and is absolutely immense! Massive galaxy, great team members, played bit part renegade but the conclusions to being nice is better but renegade cut-scenes are much better! All in all, awesome!

Gears is also a stunning game, just lookin forward to 3 now.

If you get resi5, get the gold edition!