IGNORED

Pompey

iggy

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second half is where we missed Phil Neville ... Portsmouth started playing really aggressive and Neville is the man who would have matched them .. He would have kept our midfield alert and this game wouldn't have been as tough.

Howard was excellent .. Yobo was the best player in an average Everton defense .. Fellaini was the best midfielder but really should have been taken of with about 15mins to go (I was hoping Hibbert was coming on for him with Heitinga shifting to CM).. Saha did what he had to do, well done.

no im sorry, the same thing could have been said about him probably giving away freekicks around the box and probably give the ball away in poor areas. I think Neville is past it now and the injury has capped it off. I really think he should retire and become one of our first team coaches, I think considering the type of player he is he could really become a top coach one day, as for being captain surely a change of the arm band would make other players strive for the captaincy as shown by Yobo and Osman recently. Realisticly where is he going to play because I would have Rodwell who's still a teenager than a player who wont ever become better at football in midfield. as for rightback no Heitenga didnt have his best game but neither did most of the team. I know people are going to disagree but thats my opinion on the team at the moment.

Tim Howard was by far MOTM followed by Saha.

Edited by Blue4Ever

no im sorry, the same thing could have been said about him probably giving away freekicks around the box and probably give the ball away in poor areas. I think Neville is past it now and the injury has capped it off. I really think he should retire and become one of our first team coaches, I think considering the type of player he is he could really become a top coach one day, as for being captain surely a change of the arm band would make other players strive for the captaincy as shown by Yobo and Osman recently. Realisticly where is he going to play because I would have Rodwell who's still a teenager than a player who wont ever become better at football in midfield. as for rightback no Heitenga didnt have his best game but neither did most of the team. I know people are going to disagree but thats my opinion on the team at the moment.

Tim Howard was by far MOTM followed by Saha.

I couldnt disagree more about Neville. He is far from past it, in fact I think he has been playing some of his best football in years.

We definitely missed him today, its not just what he does with the ball or even the tackles he makes that we miss. He is the leader, he is the one that gets the rest of the lads to dig in and fight.

I love Rodders but he wasnt at the races today and you cant expect a young lad to be great every week, that is where Neville could have come in today.

Johnny H was underwhelming I think Neville would have done a better job in midfield than him today as well

I dont know what makes you think Neville is likely to give the ball away in poor areas or give away free kicks around the area or are you basing your entire argument on one rash challenge against Fulham?

There is no way he should retire or step down as skipper

I thought Heitinga had an absolute nightmare, I had my doubts when we signed him as Van Bronckhurst used to play for the Dutch defence and he couldn't defend for toffee. He reminded me of Gravesen, without the talent and class on the ball. He constantly dives in, charges at people and commits himself and he looked slow and isn't particularly big, I'm worried if he's supposed to be the answer in defence. Our defence looks a bit shaky, we need Jags organisation and brick wall attitude alongside Yobo's pace and aerial ability, Distin has been ok so far but doesn't look overly brilliant alongside Yobo - who was our best defender today by some distance. I actually thought Osman did ok today, he did more defensively than Heitinga and showed good feet on occasions. Saha and Howard excellent and Cahill unlucky not to score a couple, everyone else pretty poor, how we miss Arteta's set pieces as Baines isn't in the same league. Once we have Arteta back we'll be a lot better. How Fellaini didn't score that header I'll never know. Lucky win but it's still 3 points.

Howard - 8. Vital saves

Heitinga - 7. I thought he played well, actually looked better in midfield. He has no pace though.

Yobo - 9. MOTH. Outstanding again, and had to be after Everton dismal performance.

Distin - 8. Quality, could play until 35 if he takes care of himself.

Baines - 7. Solid.

Osman - 4. Apart from one cross he did nothing.

Felliani - 8. Get's an 8 for controlling the middle for most of the game, wouldn't of played but for Neville injury so Moyes should trust him now and leave him there.

Rodwell - 6. Got stuck in but looked very tired by the end.

Cahill - 6. Busy, got stuck in but rarely did much apart from one header.

Pienaar - 7. Classy, took out by the same guy who injured Cahill years ago.

Saha - 6. Class goal but no service.

Hibbert - 7. Solid.

Moyes - 5. Just doesn't learn from his mistakes, a better team (like Fulham) would have beaten them today. Poor!

crap game, crap performance and a crap team we played. On paper and the run where on should have won minimum 3-0. Pompey deserved 3 points in all fairness. Absolute shocking, play like that again and were in deep crap. Plus im suprised no one has mentioned the fact the ref had a shocking game today, wouldnt let the game play and gave alot towards the home team.

crap game, crap performance and a crap team we played. On paper and the run where on should have won minimum 3-0. Pompey deserved 3 points in all fairness. Absolute shocking, play like that again and were in deep crap. Plus im suprised no one has mentioned the fact the ref had a shocking game today, wouldnt let the game play and gave alot towards the home team.

Spot on Aaron, spent most of the second half in particular with head in hands or demolishing my fingernails, ball retention/passing was awful and the defence seemed afraid to get out of the box.

Pompey were really up for it though which showed in the physical side of the game (Especially that horrible Brown)and on almost any other day would have been lucky to finish the game with 11 on the pitch.

Special mention for the Pompey fans giving Pienaar stick and chanting wanker as he was being carried round the pitch on the stretcher, showed your class there fella's.

Edited by iggy

Jeez some of you are a whingeing bunch of bar stewards. Yeah it wasn't a vintage performance and we have Howard to thank for a couple of class saves, but Pompey were absolutely gee'd up to the max for that, Fratton Park sounded like something out of an Istanbul derby (the treatment of Pienaar when injurd was horrible - hard not to feel a little intimidated when home fans behave like that), and I think the general hell-for-leather, boot in first, ask questions later physical approach would have made it very difficult for any team to play against to be honest, it was desperation stuff from them (remember how we used to play at home sometimes when we were languishing around the bottom of the league?). Saying all that, if Fellaini could learn to put some power behind his headers and Cahill had had a bit of luck, we'd have won a lot easier.

Fact is we won, that's four clean sheets on the bounce so I dunno why the defence is getting so much stick, and why all the slagging of Heitinga?! I'm at a loss to know exactly what he did wrong - or is this just another case of smart arse Everton fans falling over themselves to say "I told you he was a waste of money" at the first opportunity whenever a new signing doesn't play like Pele and Maradona's love child first few games (like Felli last season)? In my opinion, Bily had a far less impressive game when he came on - in open play he is still way off the pace, and for once his dead ball delivery was awful, yet everyone's still got their tongue down the back of his shorts - ah well, football's great for dividing opinion, hey?

In summary, yeah we're not playing our best stuff on the road, but a win's a win, even the best win ugly sometimes, and the important thing is we're building some real momentum now.

One thing that got on my tits quite alot actually, n im pretty angry about. Kaboul went foot high to get a ball that Bily went for. His foot was at 6'1 when near contact with the ball, more shockingly though, it skimmed past Bily's face and ripped his shirt from his shoulder down his back. What did the ref do - Nothing. What has the disciplinary committee done - Nothing. Yet there is video evidence that it was wreckless in terms of a challenge and one that if he'd made contact with Bily's face, could have ended as a fatality. Ref was very poor imo, but 3 points are three points!

Jeez some of you are a whingeing bunch of bar stewards. Yeah it wasn't a vintage performance and we have Howard to thank for a couple of class saves, but Pompey were absolutely gee'd up to the max for that, Fratton Park sounded like something out of an Istanbul derby (the treatment of Pienaar when injurd was horrible - hard not to feel a little intimidated when home fans behave like that), and I think the general hell-for-leather, boot in first, ask questions later physical approach would have made it very difficult for any team to play against to be honest, it was desperation stuff from them (remember how we used to play at home sometimes when we were languishing around the bottom of the league?). Saying all that, if Fellaini could learn to put some power behind his headers and Cahill had had a bit of luck, we'd have won a lot easier.

Fact is we won, that's four clean sheets on the bounce so I dunno why the defence is getting so much stick, and why all the slagging of Heitinga?! I'm at a loss to know exactly what he did wrong - or is this just another case of smart arse Everton fans falling over themselves to say "I told you he was a waste of money" at the first opportunity whenever a new signing doesn't play like Pele and Maradona's love child first few games (like Felli last season)? In my opinion, Bily had a far less impressive game when he came on - in open play he is still way off the pace, and for once his dead ball delivery was awful, yet everyone's still got their tongue down the back of his shorts - ah well, football's great for dividing opinion, hey?

In summary, yeah we're not playing our best stuff on the road, but a win's a win, even the best win ugly sometimes, and the important thing is we're building some real momentum now.

Agree with you entirely on the way pompey played but with regards to heitinga his defense on the set piece where his man got loose to head the ball off of Howards shoulder was pretty poor... that said I agree, he will still come good for us.

well said mate, anyone who compares Hibbert or Neville to Heitenga in terms of ability anyway doesn't no what there talking about. He didnt have his best game but who did and who was in front of him? Osman - bottom half premierleague player at best, offers no protection and has no influence on a game. Considering Heitenga's ball to Saha was meant in every way and even on a bad day he set up the only goal of the match, maybe people need a think before making comments after 2 starts in a league thats completely differant to the dutch league.

Edited by Blue4Ever

I here what your saying and if it was just a cse of Pompey hounding us down and winning the ball I would agree with you but it was more a case of us needlessley giving the ball back to them under no real pressure at all. That happened on countless occasions as it did at Fulham

I agree its far too early to write off any of the new signings ( altough using Felli as an example to prove your point may back fire because he isnt exactly pulling up trees at the moment!) butpeople are right to say that what we have seen so far from Johnny H has been poor and if Tony Hibbert had played like that people would be screaming for his head

As you say its taking the points home that counts but if we continue to play like we have done away from home so far this season then we will certainly lose more than we win

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

I here what your saying and if it was just a cse of Pompey hounding us down and winning the ball I would agree with you but it was more a case of us needlessley giving the ball back to them under no real pressure at all. That happened on countless occasions as it did at Fulham

I agree its far too early to write off any of the new signings ( altough using Felli as an example to prove your point may back fire because he isnt exactly pulling up trees at the moment!) butpeople are right to say that what we have seen so far from Johnny H has been poor and if Tony Hibbert had played like that people would be screaming for his head

As you say its taking the points home that counts but if we continue to play like we have done away from home so far this season then we will certainly lose more than we win

Agree 100% with this. Players should not be judged on reputation, it is what they do that counts. Heitinga was poor on Saturday (seems very slow), and to say the Fellaini is now some sort of benchmark for new players is wide of the mark. Fellaini's lack of pace and mobility means he will always be second to most balls, against midfielders like Gerrrard and Essien he will be chasing shadows and we will be punished. It's not his fault he cost £15m and for me at full strength he is a sqaud player at best. We need to hope that he manages to make improvements to his game that will strengthed the team, at the moment his game looks more suited to the italian league.

A bad performance is a bad performance, forget the 3 points, there is an indication that a bad loss is on the horizon with displays like that, when that happens everyone will be on the site going banana's about it, let's address the concerns we can see now.

One of my previous posts emphasised the importance of not looking at what we have at the minute, it's a case of looking at what can happen if things remain. The club in general seems to be very reactive rather than proactive.

I have raised concerns about the fact that we are 2 injuries away from disaster, 1 of them has happened in pienaar which means Osman (invisible man) will replace him, another injury to a key player will have our team looking like very weak indeed, the only source of creativity at the moment appears to be Billy and he shouldn't have to be thrown in at this stage. In two matches we have seen Neville and Pienaar injured, it's not a good sign, especially with Arteta and Jags out with Yak probably 4 weeks away from match fitness.

I hate being what could be perceived as negative, I would say I am realistic. A fit Mikel Arteta is vital for our team, never more was that highlighted on Saturday, we had no one looking after the ball, and long ball after long ball seen pompey come right back at us. It's no coincidence that Cahill has his best games when Arteta is fit.

Agree 100% with this. Players should not be judged on reputation, it is what they do that counts. Heitinga was poor on Saturday (seems very slow), and to say the Fellaini is now some sort of benchmark for new players is wide of the mark. Fellaini's lack of pace and mobility means he will always be second to most balls, against midfielders like Gerrrard and Essien he will be chasing shadows and we will be punished. It's not his fault he cost £15m and for me at full strength he is a sqaud player at best. We need to hope that he manages to make improvements to his game that will strengthed the team, at the moment his game looks more suited to the italian league.

A bad performance is a bad performance, forget the 3 points, there is an indication that a bad loss is on the horizon with displays like that, when that happens everyone will be on the site going banana's about it, let's address the concerns we can see now.

One of my previous posts emphasised the importance of not looking at what we have at the minute, it's a case of looking at what can happen if things remain. The club in general seems to be very reactive rather than proactive.

I have raised concerns about the fact that we are 2 injuries away from disaster, 1 of them has happened in pienaar which means Osman (invisible man) will replace him, another injury to a key player will have our team looking like very weak indeed, the only source of creativity at the moment appears to be Billy and he shouldn't have to be thrown in at this stage. In two matches we have seen Neville and Pienaar injured, it's not a good sign, especially with Arteta and Jags out with Yak probably 4 weeks away from match fitness.

I hate being what could be perceived as negative, I would say I am realistic. A fit Mikel Arteta is vital for our team, never more was that highlighted on Saturday, we had no one looking after the ball, and long ball after long ball seen pompey come right back at us. It's no coincidence that Cahill has his best games when Arteta is fit.

Dear lord, what has Felani done to piss you off so much? The way you and others attack him anyone would think he plays for us while wearing a "I love raffa" shirt.

Facts are these:

1) Joint top scorer last season

2) Has the same number of assists as Pienaar this season

3) Has better pass completion rate than cahill / osman / nev

4) Committed less fouls than Cahill

5) Is recovering from severe virus causing large amount of weight loss.

Opinions

1) Has looked the best centre midfield player along with Rodders this season.

2) His tackling and passing has improved greatly.

Ibelieve he will have a very good season for us and I will be chearing him on, not slagging him off!

Dear lord, what has Felani done to piss you off so much? The way you and others attack him anyone would think he plays for us while wearing a "I love raffa" shirt.

Facts are these:

Opinions

Ibelieve he will have a very good season for us and I will be chearing him on, not slagging him off!

Completely agree, also Fellaini has this weird ability to play the most perfect through ball ever. He gets his angles so right it's almost sexual.

EDIT: Too bad he can't dribble for his life :P

Couldn't be too positive about Felli in one post, it's blasphemy :P

Edited by Grarghsies

Facts are these:

Opinions

Thats a bit OTT imo, He's OK but you make him out to be the best player in the prem, and he's a long way from being that.

Thats a bit OTT imo, He's OK but you make him out to be the best player in the prem, and he's a long way from being that.

No not really, anyone with his stats wouldnt be Steeve Me or Lamps, they just wouldnt be a blind, 1 legged crap kicker who couldnt pass to a teamate if the ball was on a string, as some on this site would have you believe - hes not Scott Gemmil you know!

I simply state 5 facts and 2 opinions

He clearly is not the best centre mid in the leauge, he is quite good though, the point I was making was that based on facts is he has played well for us, and will only improve as his experience in this leauge increases.

The opinions were and are based on my observations of him playing for us.

Oh and even I have better pass completeion rate than Nev

Edited by London Blue

No not really, anyone with his stats wouldnt be Steeve Me or Lamps, they just wouldnt be a blind, 1 legged crap kicker who couldnt pass to a teamate if the ball was on a string, as some on this site would have you believe - hes not Scott Gemmil you know!

I simply state 5 facts and 2 opinions

He clearly is not the best centre mid in the leauge, he is quite good though, the point I was making was that based on facts is he has played well for us, and will only improve as his experience in this leauge increases.

The opinions were and are based on my observations of him playing for us.

Oh and even I have better pass completeion rate than Nev

Lol you can play around with stats as much as you like the FACTS as you put it are that he has struggled this season and that is why he was dropped.

Lol you can play around with stats as much as you like the FACTS as you put it are that he has struggled this season and that is why he was dropped.

True, although I believe his loss of form was due to his illness. He is now recovering his fitness and form which is why he is back in the side.

I just dont like players being unfairly critisized, Heitinger is another one who is being castigated after playing a whole 2 games for us, jez give the guy a chance to adjust to the PL!

True, although I believe his loss of form was due to his illness. He is now recovering his fitness and form which is why he is back in the side.

I just dont like players being unfairly critisized, Heitinger is another one who is being castigated after playing a whole 2 games for us, jez give the guy a chance to adjust to the PL!

I havent passed any judgement on Heitanga because i've not seen him play yet.

I'll go along with most of what your saying but not with the Heitinga comment, as i said when this excuse was given for Fellaini, Football is the same the world over ... you run, you pass, you tackle, and you play to the best of your ability, its no harder in this league than it is in russia , spain, or wherever you choose, you only have to do the simple things correctly, An international footballer should not need time to adjust.

You only have to look at Rodwell who has come straight from the under 18s and reserves to be a regular in the prem, It sort of blows that excuse right out of the window. ;)

If your good enough you can play anywhere.

[/b]

Football is the same the world over ... you run, you pass, you tackle, and you play to the best of your ability, its no harder in this league than it is in russia , spain, or wherever you choose, you only have to do the simple things correctly, An international footballer should not need time to adjust.

You only have to look at Rodwell who has come straight from the under 18s and reserves to be a regular in the prem, It sort of blows that excuse right out of the window. ;)

If your good enough you can play anywhere.

Wholeheartedly agree with these comments Bill. The only things that might catch any foreign players out at first is the speed and intensity of football in the prem & language, but these should not be used as an excuse for not being able to do the basics.

Yes the rules and fundimentals of football are the same the world over, but the style, tempo, tactics are way different depending where you play. The PL is very different to continental europe, the pace is alot faster, you dont have a much time on the ball. If you look at the European teams they play its very different to ours. Also it takes time to get to know your teamates, and how a team plays, where players like the ball played etc.

Basicly it takes time to settle into a team.

Essien came into the prem and bossed the games straight from the off, as did sissoko for Liverpool before injury, as did Diarra, Palacios, Makelele etc etc. These were players who had come from slower tempo teams.

It's just that they have high levels of mobility which means they can adapt. Wenger got rid of one of the best central midfielders in Patrick Viera when he seen his legs were on the way out. Without mobility in the premiership you need to be a very technical player to remain in the midfield and compete (Alonso - still covered 11 km most games though)

When arteta is back, we will have one of the best partnerships in Rodwell and Spud. I just don't see a starting role for Fellaini.