IGNORED

Pompey

iggy

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were average. Portsmouth were good.

Rodwell looked off the pace, and when he goes off the pace the entire shape broke down. Ossie needed to be at CM and Billy needed to be on the wing to start.

But hell, I'll take 3 points every week tyvm.

I would say we were abysmal and Pompey were average

That was even worse than the Fulham game

From the moment Peanuts went off we lost the ability to hold on to the ball

Only saw the 2nd half, so don't know what had occured.But I thought that after the ref didn't caution the Portsmouth player when he nearly took Bilys head off Portsmouth seemed to go into physical overload, pushing and shoving for every ball, and we didn't seem up to the challange.I thought the ref let them get away with everything.That said we did hang on and 3 points is just great.Pienaar going of (and I thought he was taken out on purpose) changed things a bit.

But Hey.....backs to the wall, clean sheet, Saha looks strong and 3 points :)

Ultimately it's the 3 points that matter but the way you get to that 3 points should matter as well, and the way we crawled to it today was embarrassing IMO. Hoof ball returned in full measure, the whole side looked terrified and panic-ridden (especially the defence, which was dodgy in the extreme today), we lacked any sort of creativity and we weren't threatening at all because our attacks lacked any sort of purpose. I feared for us every time they got a set-piece because we failed to deal with every single one of them, that needs sorting out because better sides will exploit that. I feel sorry for Pompey today because they were by far the better side. I know they say it's the sign of a good side when they play crap and still win but we should be putting sides like Pompey away comfortably.

Howard - Thank fuck for Tim Howard today because without him we'd have taken nothing from this game. My MOTM.

Heitinga - A very bad day at the office for Johnny, he was all over the place and got skinned on far too many ocassions for someone of his quality.

Yobo - He put in a much better shift than Distin today but I still expected better from him after the way he's performed lately. It wasn't his best game but he still put in some crucial blocks etc.

Distin - Completely off the pace for me and was a big disappointment. Maybe the ocassion got to him going back to his old club and being boo'd but he was all over the place, and someone with his experience shouldn't be caught out the way he was today.

Baines - Keep him away from set-pieces for a while because every single one of them hits the first man. I'm glad he was on the line to block that header at the end but apart from that I didn't really think he added anything of any note to our game.

Osman - Is he infact an actor who has been hired to play the part of a footballer? I'm sick to death of him getting away with being the invisible fucking man; he contributed jack crap today and it's getting beyond a joke. I bet he's glad Pienaar is injured because that secures his place in the starting 11 for a few more weeks :angry: .

Rodwell - Offered absolutely no protection for the defence and didn't really do anything full stop.

Fellaini - He was the best of our midfielders but he was only OK IMO. He won some good headers and a couple of tackles but he visibly tired towards the end and I felt he should have come off.

Pienaar - I don't think he was playing particularly well before he had to come off, he wasn't playing bad either mind. Much like Fellaini, he was OK.

Cahill - Didn't really add anything to our overall play but had a couple of chances to score. That's about all I have to say about Cahill today.

Saha - We'd have got a point at best without Saha today. We created virtually nothing for him all game, but the one real chance he did get he put in the back of the net. That shows his quality and you can't ask for anything more from him tbh.

Ultimately it's the 3 points that matter but the way you get to that 3 points should matter as well, and the way we crawled to it today was embarrassing IMO. Hoof ball returned in full measure, the whole side looked terrified and panic-ridden (especially the defence, which was dodgy in the extreme today), we lacked any sort of creativity and we weren't threatening at all because our attacks lacked any sort of purpose. I feared for us every time they got a set-piece because we failed to deal with every single one of them, that needs sorting out because better sides will exploit that. I feel sorry for Pompey today because they were by far the better side. I know they say it's the sign of a good side when they play crap and still win but we should be putting sides like Pompey away comfortably.

Howard - Thank fuck for Tim Howard today because without him we'd have taken nothing from this game. My MOTM.

Heitinga - A very bad day at the office for Johnny, he was all over the place and got skinned on far too many ocassions for someone of his quality.

Yobo - He put in a much better shift than Distin today but I still expected better from him after the way he's performed lately. It wasn't his best game but he still put in some crucial blocks etc.

Distin - Completely off the pace for me and was a big disappointment. Maybe the ocassion got to him going back to his old club and being boo'd but he was all over the place, and someone with his experience shouldn't be caught out the way he was today.

Baines - Keep him away from set-pieces for a while because every single one of them hits the first man. I'm glad he was on the line to block that header at the end but apart from that I didn't really think he added anything of any note to our game.

Osman - Is he infact an actor who has been hired to play the part of a footballer? I'm sick to death of him getting away with being the invisible fucking man; he contributed jack crap today and it's getting beyond a joke. I bet he's glad Pienaar is injured because that secures his place in the starting 11 for a few more weeks :angry: .

Rodwell - Offered absolutely no protection for the defence and didn't really do anything full stop.

Fellaini - He was the best of our midfielders but he was only OK IMO. He won some good headers and a couple of tackles but he visibly tired towards the end and I felt he should have come off.

Pienaar - I don't think he was playing particularly well before he had to come off, he wasn't playing bad either mind. Much like Fellaini, he was OK.

Cahill - Didn't really add anything to our overall play but had a couple of chances to score. That's about all I have to say about Cahill today.

Saha - We'd have got a point at best without Saha today. We created virtually nothing for him all game, but the one real chance he did get he put in the back of the net. That shows his quality and you can't ask for anything more from him tbh.

Lol amazing how opinions differ!

I pretty much disagreed with most of that

I thought Felli was vying with Ossie for our worst player, he was annoying the crap out of me the number of times he gave the ball away cheeply in the second half then shrugged his shoulders and walked back. His stupid booking summed up his afternoon

I thought the game turned when Piennar went off

Thouhgh Cahill was our best midfielder even though he was only average

Thought Baines was our best defender, good goal line clearance and a great block tackle on the edge of the area and got forward well. I also think his set pieces are excellent

Below standard performance, not much to take from that apart from the points. Against a better team we will have been battered. Fellaini i'm sorry is not good enough for centre of the park. Two minutes into stoppage time they broke from defence and he jogged while the defender breezed past him and they nearly scored. He has no sense of urgency in general, his lack of mobility gives opponents a chance to get past him and open us up.

Good result for us, the ability to grind out results away from home is a good ability to have. Thought we controlled the first half except for a 10 minuite spell. Second half Pompy players were really going for it, lots of physical effort closed and harried us, I think any team would have struggled against the physical effort of Pompy players - who were visably exhausted after their efforts.

Anyway my Everton player ratings

Howard 9 - brilliant svaes in second half, didnt panic or flap when we were under seige in the second half

Heitinger - 7.5 - great tackles, always looking to go forward, and I dont have a corinary when he passes the ball

Distan - 7 - Was never going to be an easy game for him in the circumstances he looked nervous and wasnt his usual rock like self, still played well though in a desperate rearguard action

Yobo - 7 - Same as Distan, fed of his nervousnes at times but again played well in the defence without looking assured.

Baines - 8 Great going forward as usual, link up play and crosses were good and heroic defending with clearences of the line and a great block from a Brown shot.

Osman - 6 great feet, some good passes and some infureating ones as well, some good crosses but also drifted out of the game, think playing him in 2 games a week is too much for him

Cahill - 6 - quiet game, tackled ok, unlucky with header cleared off the line, but again didnt look his usual self this season.

Fellani - 8 good game, tackled well, some great passes, didnt get caught in posession, and was all over the pitch, tired in the last 15 minutes but he kept the midfield together.

Rodwell - 7 Quiet game from him, but tackled and passed well in the first half, struggled in second half but is still only 18 and played well in the circumstances and with so many Pompy players running and closing down.

Pienaar - 9 At the hart of all that was good about us going forward, great shot in first half that James only just clawed out, only hope its not a serious injury.

Saha, - 9 graet game, great goal, all over the pitch true moment of quality from him for the goal

Billy - 7 showed some good passing and crossing cant wit to see him playing regularrly

Hibbert - 6 Played ok some good tackles.

J0 - not on long enough to judge

Below standard performance, not much to take from that apart from the points. Against a better team we will have been battered. Fellaini i'm sorry is not good enough for centre of the park. Two minutes into stoppage time they broke from defence and he jogged while the defender breezed past him and they nearly scored. He has no sense of urgency in general, his lack of mobility gives opponents a chance to get past him and open us up.

I thought he played well, he managed to hold the ball well and make nice passes, later in the second half he got abit poor, maybe he should have been taken off but you say he isnt good enough for the centre, should he play on the wing? haha

Would have liked to see Ossie benched, pienaar right and bilyaletdinov left... bily looked a big flat after the clash, maybe flat in general..

Happy with the points, not happy with the performance, here's hoping Peanuts is ok.

Howard MOTM.

Baines, his blocking tackle likely saved that goal.

Kaboul looked like a mad man, expected him to take someone out.

Second half is where we missed Phil Neville ... Portsmouth started playing really aggressive and Neville is the man who would have matched them .. He would have kept our midfield alert and this game wouldn't have been as tough.

Howard was excellent .. Yobo was the best player in an average Everton defense .. Fellaini was the best midfielder but really should have been taken of with about 15mins to go (I was hoping Hibbert was coming on for him with Heitinga shifting to CM).. Saha did what he had to do, well done.

Good result for us, the ability to grind out results away from home is a good ability to have. Thought we controlled the first half except for a 10 minuite spell. Second half Pompy players were really going for it, lots of physical effort closed and harried us, I think any team would have struggled against the physical effort of Pompy players - who were visably exhausted after their efforts.

Anyway my Everton player ratings

Howard 9 - brilliant svaes in second half, didnt panic or flap when we were under seige in the second half

Heitinger - 7.5 - great tackles, always looking to go forward, and I dont have a corinary when he passes the ball

Distan - 7 - Was never going to be an easy game for him in the circumstances he looked nervous and wasnt his usual rock like self, still played well though in a desperate rearguard action

Yobo - 7 - Same as Distan, fed of his nervousnes at times but again played well in the defence without looking assured.

Baines - 8 Great going forward as usual, link up play and crosses were good and heroic defending with clearences of the line and a great block from a Brown shot.

Osman - 6 great feet, some good passes and some infureating ones as well, some good crosses but also drifted out of the game, think playing him in 2 games a week is too much for him

Cahill - 6 - quiet game, tackled ok, unlucky with header cleared off the line, but again didnt look his usual self this season.

Fellani - 8 good game, tackled well, some great passes, didnt get caught in posession, and was all over the pitch, tired in the last 15 minutes but he kept the midfield together.

Rodwell - 7 Quiet game from him, but tackled and passed well in the first half, struggled in second half but is still only 18 and played well in the circumstances and with so many Pompy players running and closing down.

Pienaar - 9 At the hart of all that was good about us going forward, great shot in first half that James only just clawed out, only hope its not a serious injury.

Saha, - 9 graet game, great goal, all over the pitch true moment of quality from him for the goal

Billy - 7 showed some good passing and crossing cant wit to see him playing regularrly

Hibbert - 6 Played ok some good tackles.

J0 - not on long enough to judge

agree with everything you said but I thought up to 60 minutes Fellaini looked the best midfielder on the pitch.

Romey said ..........

ROFL at that :lol::lol::lol: , why sit on the fence Mark, say what you really mean. :D