IGNORED

Michael Owen?

I'm actually glad he didn't sign for Liverpool because IMO he still has it in him to score goals. I think he'll do alright at Stoke but I don't think he'll be able to replecate what he has done previously at Manchester United, I woulden't be surprised to see him move on after this season either.

Genuine disappointment to a certain extent we couldn't bring him in.

Odd fucking move though, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Manchester United - Stoke City, that would have sounded ridiculous even five years ago, but as stated so many times before, has simply been a class act and top player, one of the most dangerous center forwards the world has ever seen in recent years, but injuries, as with Van Basten, another top striker, took their toll and he eventually never really got back to the form he once showed. Still a fine player though and a name that needs no introduction.

Owen was way behind fowler IMO. Owen relied on pace and slow or naive defenders. I recall only too well him being stuck in Dave watsons pocket.

A very fortunate man, he somehow won European player of the year, a player with zero loyalty. He lived off golden moments. At best he was a quality striker but no where near worthy of the plaudits he's received. I would sooner have Kevin Phillips, a player who I thought Owen was more comparable to than a shearer.

Owen was way behind fowler IMO. Owen relied on pace and slow or naive defenders. I recall only too well him being stuck in Dave watsons pocket.

A very fortunate man, he somehow won European player of the year, a player with zero loyalty. He lived off golden moments. At best he was a quality striker but no where near worthy of the plaudits he's received. I would sooner have Kevin Phillips, a player who I thought Owen was more comparable to than a shearer.

Obviously you just don't like the man. Given the choice of Liverpool or Real Madrid? Given the choice of a wage cut and championship football or Man United?

to be fair i'm sure more teams than utd were in for him..and he chose them for money and to win trophies off the back of other players doin the hard work..he knew he wouldn't play much there..yet he could go to the championship and set it alight and become a club hero somewhere..get fit and then see if he can make it back in the prem

to be fair i'm sure more teams than utd were in for him..and he chose them for money and to win trophies off the back of other players doin the hard work..he knew he wouldn't play much there..yet he could go to the championship and set it alight and become a club hero somewhere..get fit and then see if he can make it back in the prem

But that would be just too damn difficult! Ha ha. I'm glad we didn't sign him; even though he hasn't played regularly in a while but his name alone would probably command wages that would not really be suited to our club.

To be honest, got no real need to dislike him other than the fact he seems to rate himself very highly - Despite being a £100k relegated player! Has anyone earned so much money and been relegated???

Nearly every Leeds player in 2004 biggrin.png. Nolan opted to drop down a division for more money which I think is unheard of. Must be something about Newcastle

Owen is a parasite. Got no love for Newcastle but his attitude at that club stunk. When injured he only appeared to get himself right to put himself in England frame. Hence the injury he suffered playing for his country - going after charltons goal scoring record.

He even took a bonus off the club after getting relegated for seeing out his contract!!! He is despised up there unsurprisingly.

As I say, I've no real need to dislike him but when you see tweets like this is makes you angry:-

@

@piersmorgan very observant of you. Better to play 25 mins in a good team rather that playing 90 mins every week in a struggling team

- basically justifying his pathetic time at united. Funny how years ago he said he couldn't celebrate league cup as he was on bench for Liverpool but he could cebrate his premiership medal which he contributed very little towards. One winner against city - whoopee!

Owen is a parasite. Got no love for Newcastle but his attitude at that club stunk. When injured he only appeared to get himself right to put himself in England frame. Hence the injury he suffered playing for his country - going after charltons goal scoring record.

He even took a bonus off the club after getting relegated for seeing out his contract!!! He is despised up there unsurprisingly.

As I say, I've no real need to dislike him but when you see tweets like this is makes you angry:-

@

@piersmorgan very observant of you. Better to play 25 mins in a good team rather that playing 90 mins every week in a struggling team

- basically justifying his pathetic time at united. Funny how years ago he said he couldn't celebrate league cup as he was on bench for Liverpool but he could cebrate his premiership medal which he contributed very little towards. One winner against city - whoopee!

He got a premiership medal at United, so I think it's pretty justified. He wasted last year by staying there though.

piggybacking success is isn't justifying it imo

His Fergie time winner against City was a major contribution. Would they won the game without him? Involved in 19 league games that season, and 11 in the league winning season when he was for the most part injured. I wouldn't expect him to have played much more football at another club, other than last year when he was fit and not getting a game.

Plus he's an ex-redshite they all strive to win the league, but aren't good enough so have to piggy back wink.png

• 6 months later...

Owen's just announced his decision to retire from playing at the end of the season.

It is with an immense amount of pride that I am announcing my intention to retire from Professional Football at the end of this season.

Having progressed through the ranks at Liverpool to make my first team debut at 17, before embarking upon spells at Real Madrid, Newcastle United, Manchester United and Stoke City,

not to mention representing my country on 89 occasions, I now feel it is the right time to bring the curtain down on my career.

I have been very fortunate in that my career has taken me on a journey that like many young players starting out, I could only have dreamt of.

None of this would have been possible without the tremendous support I have received from managers, coaches, fellow players, back room staff, the supporters and my own personal sponsors. I would like to thank each and every one for the huge role they have played in helping me reach the top of my profession.

Most of all though, I would like to thank my family. To my beautiful wife Louise, for her continued love and support through the many ups and downs in my career and for affording me the most precious gift of all, our children.

To my Mum who has always taken the brunt of my frustrations yet continues to keep our family so tight-knit, a trait that has formed the foundations of my own success. Her dedication to me and my brothers and sisters is immeasurable. I'd like to thank Terry, Andy, Karen and Lesley for being so understanding and creating the perfect environment to grow up in. Last but not least, my Dad. We did it my old mate! From those freezing local parks to terrorising the best defenders in the World on the biggest stages of all. I couldn't have done it without you".