IGNORED

Michael Owen?

I think this is the first time I have posted on rumourama for quite some time regarding acquiring a player. Reason being that unless we get a buyer this part of the forum is depressing - full of false hopes (moutinho, NZogbia, etc etc)

Moyes record with strikers is poor. I was always waiting for the next great one to come along but end up being disappointed when they turn into some sort of "hybrid" - someone who used to bang in goals but then spends most of the 90 minutes working everywhere except in the 18 yard box.

Look at AJ thrive under his partnership with Zamora now? He is in and around the box, not spending his game chasing long balls down the channels slamming on the brakes before he hits the corner flag.

A striker like Owen would be wasted on us (not that I rate him), if we had Hernandez he would look a shadow of the player he is at united, not because of the service, but because he would be coached into being a different player than he is now.

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...........................

....oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....................

(Thought i'd give you a break :))

I think this is the first time I have posted on rumourama for quite some time regarding acquiring a player. Reason being that unless we get a buyer this part of the forum is depressing - full of false hopes (moutinho, NZogbia, etc etc)

Moyes record with strikers is poor. I was always waiting for the next great one to come along but end up being disappointed when they turn into some sort of "hybrid" - someone who used to bang in goals but then spends most of the 90 minutes working everywhere except in the 18 yard box.

Look at AJ thrive under his partnership with Zamora now? He is in and around the box, not spending his game chasing long balls down the channels slamming on the brakes before he hits the corner flag.

A striker like Owen would be wasted on us (not that I rate him), if we had Hernandez he would look a shadow of the player he is at united, not because of the service, but because he would be coached into being a different player than he is now.

Is it ?

AJ played his best ever football in an Everton shirt and was regularly involved with the England squad when he played for us

Yakubu had his best ever season in the Premiership under Moyes before reverting back to type

Marcus Bent had his best ever season under Moyes

I think its just another ToffeeTalk myth that Moyes has this poor record under Moyes

Is it ?

AJ played his best ever football in an Everton shirt and was regularly involved with the England squad when he played for us

Yakubu had his best ever season in the Premiership under Moyes before reverting back to type

Marcus Bent had his best ever season under Moyes

I think its just another ToffeeTalk myth that Moyes has this poor record under Moyes

I think we've been a little unlucky with injuries in the striking department. This and we haven't found the bargain striker (maybe M.Bent) like we have in other positions.

- Yak was being talked about in a £20m bid from spurs until he got his achilles injury - he's not been the same since.

- AJ was forever picking up knocks and seemed to miss a lot of game time.

- Saha has been a good signing - we knew he wasn't at the peak of fitness but a times he's been a different class.

- Beattie was a poor signing in my opinion - Moyes could have spent a lot wiser at the time - could we have held on until that summer? Did Beattie's goals help secure that CL place?

- As for missing out on bargains well Ashton went for £3m in the same window Beattie cost £6m, D.Bent cost £3m in the same window we sold Rooney and they'll be loads more.

With Moyes not finding a striker bargain like Arteta, Pienaar and Cahill and our relative success we've needed big bucks to take us to the next level and for obvious reasons known to us all we've been unable to do anything about it!

It's not a toffeetalk myth it's a well known grumble among many fans.

We have not had a consistent strike force under moyes and what we have had has blown hot and cold. AJ played his best football for crystal palace 74 goals in 141 games versus 17 in 61 for us.

Beattie 68 in 204 for saints, 13 in 76 for us. Then again better at Sheffield united. Yakubu also has his lowest goals to games ratio for everton, at both Middlesbrough and Portsmouth he had a better rate of return.

These players played with arguably with the most talented players of their careers at everton yet had the poorest rate of goals of their careers. AJ's rate of return needs consideration at palace for the years he was in the championship, however he scored 21 premier league goals for a relegated side.

Moyes record in my opinion with strikers is poor, there is simply no getting away from it, those stats back it up.

We have not had a consistent strike force under moyes and what we have had has blown hot and cold. AJ played his best football for crystal palace 74 goals in 141 games versus 17 in 61 for us.

Beattie 68 in 204 for saints, 13 in 76 for us. Then again better at Sheffield united. Yakubu also has his lowest goals to games ratio for everton, at both Middlesbrough and Portsmouth he had a better rate of return.

These players played with arguably with the most talented players of their careers at everton yet had the poorest rate of goals of their careers. AJ's rate of return needs consideration at palace for the years he was in the championship, however he scored 21 premier league goals for a relegated side.

Moyes record in my opinion with strikers is poor, there is simply no getting away from it, those stats back it up.

Beattie was back in championship when at Sheff.Utd... and weren't half of AJ's prem goals for palace pens? Okay he won most himself but his first season at us he was targeted by refs and couldn't get a pen for toffee. Also Yak's stats must be taken with a pinch of salt as he has been a shadow of his former self since the injury and had that not happened he may have only played the usual 2 seasons at us as he did injury free at Boro/Pompy.

Stats are great but don't always tell the whole story!

Haf you need to look into your stats a bit closer. AJ only had one season im the Premiership with Palace where I think he got 21 goals and if memory serves me right at least 11 were penalties and as C1982 says he couldnt buy a pen for us or he would have done the same here, the rest were scored in the lower divisions. (Incidentally he has a better goals per game ratio at Everton than Fulham)

Beattie, again I agree with C1982 he was a bad signing, was already on a downward spiral before we signed him and had lost his place in Southamptons starting XI, under Moyes he had a great season and was tipped to break into Englands World Cup Squad in 2006 and has done nothing since, and again Sheff Utd in the Championship

Yakubu, as I said already had his best season in the Prem ever with us (21 goals in 39(from wiki so ish! ) ) and then went into a sulk because he wanted a move to Spurs, he has done that at every club he has played for in England so its a bit harsh to blame Moyse for his demise after that

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

• 6 months later...

Looks to be joining Stoke, despite interest from ourselves...yay.gif

I'd guess either the media are linking us and we have no interest or we're offering him a McFadden 'you're here just in case' type deal, while Stoke are offering him the no.9 crouch and Owen reunion strikeforce!

Edited by c1982

Sooner have Kevin Phillips.

One very fortunate pro, there must be hundreds of players out there now who have potential, yet like for like will be on a par with his current abilities. Never really been convinced by him, brings very little to a team dynamic.

"You just carry on looking to find me, don't expect me to defend from the front or link up, i'll be waiting in the 6 yard box"

At one time he had a great knack for goals, which his pace helped him greatly with, take away Steven Gerrard and he was very stifled.

• 4 weeks later...

Sharp on Owen. http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/120714/exclusive-sharp-owen-would-be-welcome-addition-everton-17664?

Graeme Sharp has admitted Michael Owen would be a welcome addition to the ranks ahead of the new season.

Former Liverpool striker Owen has been a free agent since being released from Manchester United at the end of the season.

The ex-England international has admitted he is keen to stay in the Premier League withWest Brom and Stoke also reportedly interested in his services.

And Sharp reckons Owen could be the perfect back-up for the Toffee first-choice striker Nikica Jelavic

Up front is somewhere Everton need to look to strengthen,” he told talkSPORT. If Jelavic got injured we would be really light up top for a goalscorer.

That was the problem last year at the beginning of the season, we couldn't score. Jelavic addressed that problem but we need back-up and that is why the name of Michael Owen has come up in conversations.

Edited by pete0

I'd have Owen here in a flash, he's proven that he can score goals from anywhere and can providing that he can stay fit he'll be a really good addition to the team. On a free and pay-as-you-play deal is what it would have to be to be a good deal but I can see that being realistic.

Sharp usually is wrong in my opinion, for someone who was once the manager of Oldham Athletic, I find it funny how I rarely agree with his reasoning.

I'm the same as you, Louis. I find myself shaking my head at a lot of what he has to say. Putting it nicely - he chats bubbles. But being honest - he chats absolute bollocks.

Can he score from the physio room? No.

Which is why I said put him on a 'pay as you play' deal.

Sharp usually is wrong in my opinion, for someone who was once the manager of Oldham Athletic, I find it funny how I rarely agree with his reasoning.

I really don't like Sharp as a pundit. When I'm coming home from the match I'll have the radio on in the car and Greham Sharp always gives comments about the Everton games and 99% of the time he chats shite, especially when we play terrible football and he tries to find positives.

this thread/rumour was complete bull

I'd have Owen here in a flash, he's proven that he can score goals from anywhere and can providing that he can stay fit he'll be a really good addition to the team. On a free and pay-as-you-play deal is what it would have to be to be a good deal but I can see that being realistic.

rofl.gif

Edited by Blue4Ever

Which is why I said put him on a 'pay as you play' deal.

But it's suggesting we sign him as Jelavic backup, well he is no use even as a backup if like Romey says, he is stuck on the sidelines all the time, i really don't see this happening, and if it does, then it's a lazy transfer from Moyes imo

no no no no no no no no no no no no nononononononononononooooooooooooooooooooooo.....

.....ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.......

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...........................

...........................oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...............................................................

Edited by Matt

Considering my reason for not wanting him is nothing to do with his pay that's totally irrelevant.

Covers your reason about him never being out the physio room, if he's in there it's no cost to us. If you can get him on the pitch he's a 1 in 2 striker. So its a no brainer if it's pay as you play (admittedly it is a very small chance Owen would accept that kind of contract). If it's a full contract on like 50k a week I'll be in the no camp.

Covers your reason about him never being out the physio room, if he's in there it's no cost to us. If you can get him on the pitch he's a 1 in 2 striker. So its a no brainer if it's pay as you play (admittedly it is a very small chance Owen would accept that kind of contract). If it's a full contract on like 50k a week I'll be in the no camp.

how long has it been since that was actually true? 5 years ago I wouldve agreed but hes not had regular football for several seasons now, getting older and would only benefit us as a coach.....