IGNORED

Axel Witsel

Witsel isn't even a vicious player. In the 110 games he played for Standard before this season he didn't get any red cards and only 12 yellow ones. That's almost like 1 yellow every 10 games. Of course the tackle on Wasilewski was a disgrace but that doesn't represent Witsel's normal behaviour on the pitch.

Witsel isn't even a vicious player. In the 110 games he played for Standard before this season he didn't get any red cards and only 12 yellow ones. That's almost like 1 yellow every 10 games. Of course the tackle on Wasilewski was a disgrace but that doesn't represent Witsel's normal behaviour on the pitch.

i read somewhere before that there have been 2 more dodgy challenges this season (cant find the link anymore), but the article was incredibly biased and poorly written so not sure if i should pay attention to it!

take the money he's got to spend on Witsel and Mbokani and spend it all on Defour. I don't get it, he obviously has been following Standard since before Fellaini, he must know how perfect Defour is for Everton. Maybe Defour said he doesn't want to come to Everton or something...

I'm not looking forward to Mbokani in a blue shirt and Witsel is very good but not a perfect fit in view of our needs.

i read somewhere before that there have been 2 more dodgy challenges this season (cant find the link anymore), but the article was incredibly biased and poorly written so not sure if i should pay attention to it!

He got another red card against Anderlecht but that wasn't a vicious foul. I don't even think it was red as he played the ball (unlike the Anderlecht-player).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF3m7819V0s

He got another red card against Anderlecht but that wasn't a vicious foul. I don't even think it was red as he played the ball (unlike the Anderlecht-player).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF3m7819V0s

Ive watched it a few times, its not a red, ok he was off the floor a little but the direction in which Witsels foot is pointing, isnt in the direction of the player but rather at the ball! He does get the ball first aswel, so it was a tad harsh, i think the Anderlecht player reacts a tad bit!?

I liked the look of Witsel when i was keeping an eye on him pre-horror challenge, and if you say he's been alot better since then, i'd be happy to take Witsel :)

Holy, you really love Defour don't you :) where would he play though dude, as AM?

Holy, you really love Defour don't you :) where would he play though dude, as AM?

Defour = Pienaar but better. In Everton, I'd use him on the right in the same way as Pienaar is used on the left. More or less a free role when in possession, keeping position when defending. Eventually as Cahill gets too old I'd bring Defour to the middle.

His work rate is bar none; he can do everything well, most things very well; he's a born leader; Yes, I would really like him at Everton :).

Oh and he turned 22 today.

Edited by holystove

Defour = Pienaar but better. In Everton, I'd use him on the right in the same way as Pienaar is used on the left. More or less a free role when in possession, keeping position when defending. Eventually as Cahill gets too old I'd bring Defour to the middle.

His work rate is bar none; he can do everything well, most things very well; he's a born leader; Yes, I would really like him at Everton :).

Happy birthday Defour :D

I think Witsel is much more suited for a role on the right than Defour. Witsel has played out wide numerous times and he does so really good. He's much more technically gifted than Defour.

If we get Defour it should be for a spot in centre midfield, but there just isn't any room for him with Arteta and Fellaini there and Osman and Rodwell on the bench. Defour would be the ideal successor of Arteta though but I think he'll stay for some while.

Craccer, i see where youre coming from, especially seeing how he reacted after the card and i think the ban shouldve been longer. Its not even his 1st horrific tackle from what ive read. But he is 21 and a fantastic talent. If he can be discipled properly, and Moyes would be the man to do so, then take him on but it is a gamble. Ive not heard him doing wrong since then, maybe Holystove can enlighten further.

There are one or 2 tackles ive seen by our boys in blue that couldve been just as nasty if theyd connected (Pienaar on Mascherano springs to mind - 2 inches higher and that leg wouldve snapped in 2, end of career). Not to mention Duncans throttling and punching of players. For other teams there was Keane, Gerrard has made some terrible challenges.... the list of vicious bastards in the game goes on and on!

doesn't make it exusable though. regarding pienaar's terrible challenge but as you say could have been worse and it was very uncharacteristic but at the end of the day it wasn't 2 inches higher and his leg didnt break, unlike witsels which was on the cards the moment he came into the picture and he didnt pull out of it when there was plenty of time. as for dunc i was never a fan of his, and i think he was a horrible bastard as well, it embarasses me to see people call him a 'legend' biggest misuse of that word ive ever seen. gerrard granted, keane granted...you're talking about 2 of the best players in the world in their positions there though, and players who were already at their clubs long before their challenges.

doesn't make it exusable though. regarding pienaar's terrible challenge but as you say could have been worse and it was very uncharacteristic but at the end of the day it wasn't 2 inches higher and his leg didnt break, unlike witsels which was on the cards the moment he came into the picture and he didnt pull out of it when there was plenty of time. as for dunc i was never a fan of his, and i think he was a horrible bastard as well, it embarasses me to see people call him a 'legend' biggest misuse of that word ive ever seen. gerrard granted, keane granted...you're talking about 2 of the best players in the world in their positions there though, and players who were already at their clubs long before their challenges.

im not saying it is excusable, its not. But you have to move on. According to most sources i read, this challenge was also out of character for the lad. Pienaar didnt pull out, he was lucky he didnt get the knee, just like Witzel was unlucky to hit where he did. He is only young he just has to learn from it. Dont thinks Keane/Gerrard should be excused just because they were the best in the world (which i disagree with by the way!) or because they were well established. Point is they were dirty bastards (with repeated examples) but also quality players. Witzel could be a quality player but 1 challenge doesnt make him as bad as those 2 mentioned, and tell me you wouldnt have wanted either Keane or Gerrard in the Everton squad in their hayday.

Completely agree about the Big Dunc thing, he was inspirational to the team (a poor team around those time too) but was fundamentally a thug. Mike, theres the petrol!

what i meant by the gerrard and keane thing was that they were at the club they were at as opposed to us having the opportunity to avoid signing a thug, they were man u and liverpool through and through and we werent linked with buying them, if one of them made the same challenge and we were then linked id say the same thing, disgrace.

as for them being THE best i was implying that they were 2 of the best not the 2 very best. i think messi is currently the best player in general, but gerrard is stil lone of the best all round midfielders about and at the time in his prime keane was arguably the best ball winning midfielder about.

pienaar didn't pull out, but it was a different challenge, with this one hes going in at an angle where the outcome looks pretty much obvious way before any contact. also i've heard a bit of the opposite about his rep, i've heard he's made a few tasty challenges.

past tense there mate? i still am! love me some alan smith

I'm surprised you didn't like big dunc then. Let's be honest Smudger isn't the most gifted footballer he's gained his reputation through his sometimes unfashionable/sometimes dirty way he plays - but always 100% passion and always wearing his heart on his sleave - I would describe big dunc exactly the same way.

Ferguson has no right to be called a legend if you compare him to 'true legends' we've had in the past and now to some extent... but the 90's were f'ing grim (apart from Joe Royle's tenure). Ferguson was our cult figure. He gave some a reason to go to the matches and always gave hope when he was in the team because during periods we were that shite! I believe he's viewed as a goodison legend because of this, when you compare him to dean, young, ball, labone, king, southall etc, it's laughable but for fans in their 20's, who wouldn't have ever experienced these players (apart from an aging southall) so therefore ferguson is their goodison legend. I for one shared optimism when big dunc was in the starting xi and enjoyed the atmosphere when he was playing and although I agree in part that him being called a 'legend' is a slight insult to the word in comparison to these true legends we've had (which the older generations have been lucky to experience 1st hand) but big dunc will always be a hero of mine and many others of my generation because at times he was all we had to sing about!

I'm surprised you didn't like big dunc then. Let's be honest Smudger isn't the most gifted footballer he's gained his reputation through his sometimes unfashionable/sometimes dirty way he plays - but always 100% passion and always wearing his heart on his sleave - I would describe big dunc exactly the same way.

Ferguson has no right to be called a legend if you compare him to 'true legends' we've had in the past and now to some extent... but the 90's were f'ing grim (apart from Joe Royle's tenure). Ferguson was our cult figure. He gave some a reason to go to the matches and always gave hope when he was in the team because during periods we were that shite! I believe he's viewed as a goodison legend because of this, when you compare him to dean, young, ball, labone, king, southall etc, it's laughable but for fans in their 20's, who wouldn't have ever experienced these players (apart from an aging southall) so therefore ferguson is their goodison legend. I for one shared optimism when big dunc was in the starting xi and enjoyed the atmosphere when he was playing and although I agree in part that him being called a 'legend' is a slight insult to the word in comparison to these true legends we've had (which the older generations have been lucky to experience 1st hand) but big dunc will always be a hero of mine and many others of my generation because at times he was all we had to sing about!

blasphemy, if it wasn't for that injury we'd be talkingabout alan smith everyday and not messi!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Standard Liège are reporting they have a deal with Benfica: http://standard.sudpresse.be/toutes-les-news/lire.htm?lng=fr&action=read&id=1810

Witsel already had a deal with Benfica. He'll sign a 5-year contract later today according to the official Standard site. As Standard are my favourite Belgian team and Witsel's my favourite player I'm a bit down at the moment. I was hoping Everton would get him. Good move for him and the Belgian national team though.

• 4 years later...