IGNORED

Axel Witsel

Zenit's manager just yesterday contradicted everyone who has reported anything like Everton having a deal in place with Zenit.

Hesaid he has offers from2 English clubs and 2 in Italy which proves he's spoken and they know he has to clubs, he never said any had been accepted by Zenit but all the reports coming from every single press source both British and abroad say no club has matched Evertons bid which may be the stumbling block as he may not want to come here but Zenit may now be saying unless they match Evertons bid he'll either have to stay or go to Everton.

All this "I don't blame him stuff and everyone want's to better themselves I'd listen to other companies etc" stuff doesn't wash with me. It's not like he's getting paid £350 a week atm and now it could go up to £500 we are talking £120k a week here (allegedly) wherever he goes he will get millions in signing on fees, boot sponsorships, wages etc 120ka year is 6.25 mila year give or take a few quid which equates to over 30 million over a 5 year contract. Does he need to hold out for a few more?

Who says it's just about money?

Why the hell is Carvalho getting mentioned here? Completely different play who again will offer nothing go forward. I'd prefer the two players. But if it was between Witsel and Carvalho it would be witsel all day.

For the last several years, Witsel actually has been that number six type for Belgium. He sits just in front of the centre backs, doesn't venture forward himself and doesn't put a lot of risk in any of his passes. He's been criticized for slowing the game down too much (walking with the ball for a bit when he receives it and probably passing it to a full back rather than forward). He says that he still plays as a box-to-box for Zenit, but apart from a couple of European matches against lowly Belgian competition, I haven't seen him play for them so couldn't say how he's doing for them.

For Belgium at least, he's basically James McCarthy. He's more athletic etc. but he plays the game the same way. He should be partnered with someone who has more verticality to his game, who passes forward more directly, etc. Besic probably fits that part more than McCarthy and Barry, but is he actually good enough? Maybe Tom Davies could be that player, I'd like to see him in midfield rather than at rightback in the rest of preseason.

Italian newspaper Tuttosport says that Witsel is their main transfer target now that they signed Higuain and they *claim* that WItsel would stall Everton's approaches because he'd prefer to play for the Italian champions. Again, this is just talks from a sensation loving newspaper.

Edited by Mirallas

have any bids been accepted for him? He plays for a Russian team - they only sell players when they are awful.

Not any more. Zenit have huge financial problems now because Gazprom are no longer bank-rolling the club. That's why they just shipped Hulk off to China and are looking to off-load Witsel. Added to this, following Russia's piss-poor showing in the Euros, the government has issued a kind of 'directive' to the 4 main clubs (CSKA, Spartak, Zenit and Locomotive) to bring through more young Russian players and ship out the expensive foreigners. CSKA are havng a similar 'cull' of their own foreigners right now.

• 2 weeks later...

All reports suggested we were overpaying him (based on other options).....so I don't think it was greed Esk. Think you just got this one wrong.

For the life of me I don't get why people believe any of these "in the knows". They've all been talking about Witsel, Carvalho and Mata. None had any inkling about Gueye, Williams, Bolasie...

For the life of me I don't get why people believe any of these "in the knows". They've all been talking about Witsel, Carvalho and Mata. None had any inkling about Gueye, Williams, Bolasie...

This is the best part. Where were they when 'actual' targets were in the process of signing?

Said this the other day. Every target any "ITK" have named hasn't arrived yet not one of them has called ""Williams, Gueye, Bollasie or Kone. Not a single person named any of those, if they were genuinally ITK they would have know surely.

I think some of them do get snippets of info, someone posted a piconTwitter of Gueye getting hisphotos done at FF it was taken from an upstairs window so he clearly has a pal who works there but I think that's about as far as their info goes myself.

Said this the other day. Every target any "ITK" have named hasn't arrived yet not one of them has called ""Williams, Gueye, Bollasie or Kone. Not a single person named any of those, if they were genuinally ITK they would have know surely.

And I think this is a credit as to how Everton go about their business.

I think some of them do get snippets of info, someone posted a piconTwitter of Gueye getting hisphotos done at FF it was taken from an upstairs window so he clearly has a pal who works there but I think that's about as far as their info goes myself.

Fourth Official called Williams, Gueye and Walsh but hasn't said anything else about other targets. I have made decent money backing what he has said! Just be careful that you don't follow the ones he retweets or states the source.