IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Fortunately some of us can see past his goals tally and can judge him as a player

He came on as a sub against WBA when we were 1-0 down and didn't score but played a major part in turning that game around

I personally thought it was the formation change that was the main factor. He occupied the defenders better but lets not get overjoyed here dunc.... that's what hes actually meant to do.

Im interested to understand his other qualities as a player if im honest... what sets him aside other strikers?

I can only say the statistics of Rom or incredible.

Thats all what counts in football.... SCORING GOALS

Unfortunately our old manager thought exactly the same to the point where he didn't realise stopping them is just as important. Your a Belgian fan you say, you may have to get used to that now!

I personally thought it was the formation change that was the main factor. He occupied the defenders better but lets not get overjoyed here dunc.... that's what hes actually meant to do.

Im interested to understand his other qualities as a player if im honest... what sets him aside other strikers?

I'm not getting overjoyed Haf , I'm merely giving a player credit were its due

As i said.... what other qualities sets him aside from other strikers?

Power, pace and aggression for a start, combined with his finishing they are real assets

Think of the goal he scored against Chelsea, think of the goal he scored against Arsenal, think of his first ever goal for us against West Ham, if he doesn't have the above qualities he doesn't score those goals.

He may not show it often enough but he can be the complete centre forward and has all the tools to be a top striker .If he is on his game he is virtually unplayable and if he was half as poor as you make him to be then he wouldn't have scored half the goals he has.

Power, pace and aggression for a start, combined with his finishing they are real assets

Think of the goal he scored against Chelsea, think of the goal he scored against Arsenal, think of his first ever goal for us against West Ham, if he doesn't have the above qualities he doesn't score those goals.

He may not show it often enough but he can be the complete centre forward and has all the tools to be a top striker .If he is on his game he is virtually unplayable and if he was half as poor as you make him to be then he wouldn't have scored half the goals he has.

This is my point - you can name the games where he shows these things as a good example. That's not good - that shows its the exception to the rule. Off the top of my head I would say the games you mentioned plus Southampton, Man City at home and Liverpool where he scored. That should not be the case.

Pace - I can't argue with, moves well for a big fella when into his stride - his anticipation is abysmal though. Caught offside way too often too.

Power and aggression? well you would like to think that no centre half should be able to deal with him as he is probably the biggest player in the league - but I have seen him bullied by Mcnair, Blind, Olsen, Otamendi, sakho, dann, Williams, morgan. Once in a while he gets his heckles up and has a go.... in general he isn't really up for it. Soft underbelly and his size is wasted on him.

To me that isn't offering the team much other than frustration

As you implied Haf, those heckles aren't up nearly often but when they are you question why on earth doesn't he do that every game.

He needs to get the aggression and passioned Costa has, without the petulance of course. If not for the team, do it for the sake of his own career. He's not going to be the world class player he thinks he is/thinks he will become without that aggression.

As you implied Haf, those heckles aren't up nearly often but when they are you question why on earth doesn't he do that every game.

He needs to get the aggression and passioned Costa has, without the petulance of course. If not for the team, do it for the sake of his own career. He's not going to be the world class player he thinks he is/thinks he will become without that aggression.

Unfortunately Aiden its either in you or it isn't. I wasn't a pro but I had those lazy tendencies - if I was up for it I played so much better, I can spot it in someone who is going through the motions and he typifies it. "look I'm making a run, I'm waving" or "oh no I didn't get on the end of a cross because I wasn't committed - cover my face with my hands and look to the sky so people think I'm gutted" - when he is up for it you don't see those things..... he actually looks different like he has a purpose in everything.

Some players have ridiculous talent and can just bring up a moment of magic from nowhere, a defence splitting pass, a dribble, a shot from no where - he isn't good enough to do that - someone like Berbatov springs to mind who was. He is reliant on others putting it on a plate for him - but they are reliant on him linking play and making clever runs.

If he gets a goal against Sunderland then I'm sure he will get his confidence and swagger back and go on little goal spells - he needs to learn to keep his big mouth shut, get his head down and sort his attitude out. He is on borrowed time with many fans - I think the manager may well be of the same opinion too and Rom is aware of that.

To be honest his most recent interview wasn't great - I couldn't really be bothered going into it too much but it was a diluted version of the stuff he's been coming out with since March, the worst part about it was that he comes across as apathetic. He may be wearing the Everton shirt but he's not really here - I just hope one way or another he sorts himself out because I see a very poor end to this saga otherwise. I just hope his agent hasn't told any interested teams that he will "play" to secure his sale at a cheaper price in January. This has happened.

This is my point - you can name the games where he shows these things as a good example. That's not good - that shows its the exception to the rule. Off the top of my head I would say the games you mentioned plus Southampton, Man City at home and Liverpool where he scored. That should not be the case.

Pace - I can't argue with, moves well for a big fella when into his stride - his anticipation is abysmal though. Caught offside way too often too.

Power and aggression? well you would like to think that no centre half should be able to deal with him as he is probably the biggest player in the league - but I have seen him bullied by Mcnair, Blind, Olsen, Otamendi, sakho, dann, Williams, morgan. Once in a while he gets his heckles up and has a go.... in general he isn't really up for it. Soft underbelly and his size is wasted on him.

To me that isn't offering the team much other than frustration

There are plenty more games than those mentioned , but I will take this as progress because you have at least acknowledged he has it in him [emoji1303]