IGNORED

Landon Donovan

If hes free, or cheap, he is a low risk asset. We know he fits in well with the group and doesnt seem to rock the boat, he still has plenty of talent. If he gets in the team we know it will be on merit, if hes playing well he keeps playing, if he isnt we have other options. He can be a good stand in for Merallas. It would be nice to have a bigger squad and Landon could be a good addition to it.

I understand what you're saying. But it's different when Donovan is at Everton because he's just another guy. In the US he's a figurehead and top player in the MLS. In England, nobody gives a shit who Landon Donovan is. So he loses the attitude and snotty demeanor and just plays.

I understand what you're saying about Dempsey with Fullham and the diving, but I still respect the hell out of him. He was irrelevant at the U-17 and U-20 levels and, although he was certainly a very good player in the MLS, I don't think anybody ever though he was going to become what he is today. And the dude definitely takes a lot of knocks diving in for balls in the box and poaching in general. I understand what you're saying but ultimately Dempsey plays like he would sacrifice a limb just to get the US a World Cup. And I have to respect that. Lando plays like he's trying to earn a new Nike deal.

I totally get your sentiment on Donovan, but I can't help but think you're totally wrong. I'm not sure of how many national team games you've been to, but if you watch both of them out there you'll see Donovan working 10 times harder than Dempsey to make things happen offensively and actually putting in work defensively, which Dempsey tends to forget. I think you're a little too caught up in the US fan discourse surrounding both of them, and aren't really looking at either very objectively.

I totally get your sentiment on Donovan, but I can't help but think you're totally wrong. I'm not sure of how many national team games you've been to, but if you watch both of them out there you'll see Donovan working 10 times harder than Dempsey to make things happen offensively and actually putting in work defensively, which Dempsey tends to forget. I think you're a little too caught up in the US fan discourse surrounding both of them, and aren't really looking at either very objectively.

I've been to my fair share, and I know Landon has worked hard. To be honest, majority of my feelings for him stem from club play, not international. It's the way he carries himself. Total prima dona.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaRhbpZEWNU

Anyhow, who the fuck does Luke Rodgers think he is? Who even knows who Luke Rodgers is? Having a bit-part with NY Red Bulls for a season was the height of his career, and from what it looks like he's kind of a cunt-hole.

He's right in that vid though. Not being as good as Donovan, doesn't mean he can't say Donovan is being unsportsmanlike.

I really don't see the prima donna attitude there... Oh well! Agree to disagree.

He's right in that vid though. Not being as good as Donovan, doesn't mean he can't say Donovan is being unsportsmanlike.

And then you see Donovan mouth, "who the fuck are you?" He echoed that sentiment after the game on Twitter as well. A guy like Thierry Henry has an ego but, despite having 100X the hardware and career that Landon could ever dream of, doesn't run around MLS with a holier than thou attitude.

There was a big incident back in 09 I believe, when Beckham was still relatively new to MLS. Donovan had a tantrum and started saying stupid stuff to the media about Beckham being a horrible teammate. Now granted, Becks is hardly a low profile, low-maintenance guy, but he's a guy who has been a leader at the club and international stage and has done a whole lot of winning. Beckham was forced to respond, and said that he'd talk to Landon in private about how to conduct himself, but that his attitude was "unprofessional" and unlike anything he'd ever seen before.

Edited by thoward18

He is nowhere near Suarez in that department tho. Its all about comparing to the right player. If you compare anyone to the likes of Henry and Klose they are going to look like a bad boy and a spoilt bitch. If you compare to Wise, Suarez etc youre going to look like a saint

Like I said earlier, he's nowhere near the level of guys like Suarez, Barton, etc. But he's just not a guy that is easy to root for. Believe me, MLS product, US national team player, and Everton alumnus; I WISH I could be proud of Landon Donovan. But he just has a crappy attitude.

Like I said earlier, he's nowhere near the level of guys like Suarez, Barton, etc. But he's just not a guy that is easy to root for. Believe me, MLS product, US national team player, and Everton alumnus; I WISH I could be proud of Landon Donovan. But he just has a crappy attitude.

We can only judge the guy on his Everton periods, and he came across as having a good attitude during his time here. What he does in the States is irrelevant to us, as is the present argument, as it's all hypothetical regarding his return.

We can only judge the guy on his Everton periods, and he came across as having a good attitude during his time here. What he does in the States is irrelevant to us, as is the present argument, as it's all hypothetical regarding his return.

As I said in my first post, I would welcome Donovan to Everton despite my personal dislike for him. I was asked why I didn't like him, so I explained.

Donovan was the end all and be all on Grand Old Team which went on for years.. It became a bit too much in the end, as it seemed there was nothing else to talk about. I think that must have been the longest thread in the history of mankind, and it's still underway..

Donovan is a good player, did well here in his loan spells, but over time, there was a little dislike for the player that manifested over time.

http://soccernet.esp...-soccer?cc=5901

Seems like a loan is not happening, but a permanent move for the next season might be possible.

I think this article highlights a broad range of reasons why people don't like Donovan. He hasn't played a single National Team game since May. Every time there's been a game he's claimed injury or sickness (though apparently was fit enough to play club games). Now he's deciding he's just going to take some time off and will miss Qualifiers next year. And then he feels bad for himself and passive aggressively implies he doesn't think his teammates want him around because of their unfair assumptions about him.

And he can't even give a clear answer about whether he wants to play in the 2014 World Cup because he's not sure whether he'll "enjoy playing" anymore. Can you even imagine someone like Ryan Giggs or Thierry Henry saying that? Those guys would play their hearts out in pre-season scrimmage, and yet a 30 year old Landon Donovan doesn't even know if he'll want to play in the World Cup in a year and a half? If the same exact concept for a story was published a month from now except "USA" and "Landon Donovan" were replaced with "Portugal" and "Sad Ronaldo" would anybody even know the difference? He's right, he doesn't have an obligation to play for the US, but that's besides the point. David Beckham wasn't pushing for a spot on the Olympic team because he felt obligated to. Paul Scholes didn't reluctantly come back to Man U (though they did need him) because he felt obligated to. They did it because they wanted it. Landon just doesn't and never has had the same passion and drive.

Anyway, I digress. The relevant information here is that a loan this winter won't be happening but that all signs point to him making a permanent move to England in the next year or so.

Edited by thoward18

http://soccernet.esp...-soccer?cc=5901

Seems like a loan is not happening, but a permanent move for the next season might be possible.

I think this article highlights a broad range of reasons why people don't like Donovan. He hasn't played a single National Team game since May. Every time there's been a game he's claimed injury or sickness (though apparently was fit enough to play club games). Now he's deciding he's just going to take some time off and will miss Qualifiers next year. And then he feels bad for himself and passive aggressively implies he doesn't think his teammates want him around because of their unfair assumptions about him.

And he can't even give a clear answer about whether he wants to play in the 2014 World Cup because he's not sure whether he'll "enjoy playing" anymore. Can you even imagine someone like Ryan Giggs or Thierry Henry saying that? Those guys would play their hearts out in pre-season scrimmage, and yet a 30 year old Landon Donovan doesn't even know if he'll want to play in the World Cup in a year and a half? If the same exact concept for a story was published a month from now except "USA" and "Landon Donovan" were replaced with "Portugal" and "Sad Ronaldo" would anybody even know the difference? He's right, he doesn't have an obligation to play for the US, but that's besides the point. David Beckham wasn't pushing for a spot on the Olympic team because he felt obligated to. Paul Scholes didn't reluctantly come back to Man U (though they did need him) because he felt obligated to. They did it because they wanted it. Landon just doesn't and never has had the same passion and drive.

Anyway, I digress. The relevant information here is that a loan this winter won't be happening but that all signs point to him making a permanent move to England in the next year or so.

Lol Have you seen Ryan Giggs' record for Wales?

• 1 month later...

He needs time to heal physically and get things sorted out mentally. I'd take him on a free after next season if he performs well with LA Galaxy and rekindles his interest in football. It would be a good move in regards to creating competition, or whatever Romey is always talking about ;-)

Oh youre always talking about creating competition within the squad. Or somebody on this messageboard is. Especially about Howard.

I want comptetition but I don't think I've mentioned it all that much, so it must be someone else you're thinking of.

I don't think Donovan would leave the MLS and sign for us permanently now tbh. With the signing of Mirallas it means he'd likely only be a bench player and I couldn't see him being happy with that. Or would he be ok with being a bit part player? You'll know better than me on that score.

I want comptetition but I don't think I've mentioned it all that much, so it must be someone else you're thinking of.

I don't think Donovan would leave the MLS and sign for us permanently now tbh. With the signing of Mirallas it means he'd likely only be a bench player and I couldn't see him being happy with that. Or would he be ok with being a bit part player? You'll know better than me on that score.

I don't know. I'm not sure whether or not he'd want to leave the MLS. He's lived his whole life in the wonderful weather of California, and is a superstar in the MLS. In the Premier League, he wouldn't be a superstar, and might very well not be in the starting 11 with Mirallas now at the club, not to mention the weather of Liverpool in the winter doesn't exactly match that of California. However, I would like to think that he wants to play in a top league in Europe (full time) at some point in his career, and he also loves Everton. I don't know, only time will tell.

I don't know. I'm not sure whether or not he'd want to leave the MLS. He's lived his whole life in the wonderful weather of California, and is a superstar in the MLS. In the Premier League, he wouldn't be a superstar, and might very well not be in the starting 11 with Mirallas now at the club, not to mention the weather of Liverpool in the winter doesn't exactly match that of California. However, I would like to think that he wants to play in a top league in Europe (full time) at some point in his career, and he also loves Everton. I don't know, only time will tell.

It's hard to gauge exactly where Donovan is at right now because he's releasing tons of vague, abstract statements. With the way both he and his teammates spoke after winning the Cup, it seems that there is a very real possibility that he makes a permanent move to Europe. I'd put the odds at 50% chance he moves to Europe, 35% chance he stays in the US, and 15% chance he retires.

However, Mirallas so far can't seem to stay healthy. If he were here right now, he'd be getting games.

However, Mirallas so far can't seem to stay healthy. If he were here right now, he'd be getting games.

I think he'd be getting games anyway, at least as a rotation player. The good thing about Donovan is that he is versatile. Can play as an outside mid, a winger, a retracted forward, or a striker.

• 1 month later...