IGNORED

Landon Donovan

Theres no questioning his work ethics. He always worked hard for Everton and thats what i liked about him. A month ago i would have been very happy if he was on his way. Now? We dont need him. Mirallas can cover for Pienaar. Naismith can play on the right. We have Osman, Gueye, Coleman, Ani and Barkley, all who can play on either right or left wing. (if need be) even Neville could cover on the right wing.

We dont need Landon, but he was one of my favourites when he was here.

Edited by Peter H

I was wary about him coming back the second time, and have said I wouldn't want him to come back again. Not because he's said he's said its unlikely.

I'm not overly concerned if he returns. I've always tried to be clear headed about the guy when others became romantically attached, but our squad is a better squad with him in it than not. I think the problem is the timing and age of the guy regarding a transfer. He is undoubtably a good footballer, but he can't keep doing the 'no rest' thing at that age, and I think he's been very honest throughout. Had we signed him the first time, I feel we would have gotten 3 good years from him at least, but there is no resale value now if we bought him, so although I would take him on a free without question, it wouldn't make sense to throw money at a deal unless it was very cheap.

I'm not overly concerned if he returns. I've always tried to be clear headed about the guy when others became romantically attached, but our squad is a better squad with him in it than not. I think the problem is the timing and age of the guy regarding a transfer. He is undoubtably a good footballer, but he can't keep doing the 'no rest' thing at that age, and I think he's been very honest throughout. Had we signed him the first time, I feel we would have gotten 3 good years from him at least, but there is no resale value now if we bought him, so although I would take him on a free without question, it wouldn't make sense to throw money at a deal unless it was very cheap.

I loved him in his first spell, I thought he was fantastic for us, but when it was announced he was coming back the second time I was worried he wouldn't match what he'd shown the first time round (older, slower etc). And there's no doubt his second spell was a bit of a let down. I can only remember one thing from his second spell; a through ball for Anichebe to score against Villa. He looked to have lost a hell of a lot of pace too, and that is one of the main reasons he was so successful the first time round for us.

Like you said, buying him now wouldn't make much sense for the price we'd have to pay so I'm with you on that. I'm not sure I'd even want him on a free now though tbh.

Guest blueboy122

i think we have moved on from needing him to be honest.

Agreed however I will admit that he did give us a lot more balance in midfeild with him being a proper winger.

• 1 month later...

On a free it wouldn't be too bad, but I'd hope he'd only be a bit part player for us.

Wow... Romey and me agree on Donovan now... It's too bad that he seems to have lost his love of playing football... A very talented player and the biggest soccer star in my country (Unless Dempsey has surpassed Donovan)

Wow... Romey and me agree on Donovan now... It's too bad that he seems to have lost his love of playing football... A very talented player and the biggest soccer star in my country (Unless Dempsey has surpassed Donovan)

I don't know that he's lost his love. I think it has more or less been strangled out of him by the MLS essentially holding him prisoner. I don't think he cares about playing for the Galaxy anymore, and being forced to do so is really depressing him. He just sounds extremely depressed to me.

Dempsey has 100% surpassed Donovan.

I do not like Landon Donovan on a personal level, but although he's lot a bit of speed he'd still be an asset for Everton. Still capable of expanding the field and putting some good balls into the box while adding a secondary scoring ability as well. We shouldn't break the bank for him and I don't think Los Angeles would sell him unless they got a sizable bid, but if he wants to come to the team on a free then I am 100% for it.

Dempsey has 100% surpassed Donovan.

I do not like Landon Donovan on a personal level, but although he's lot a bit of speed he'd still be an asset for Everton. Still capable of expanding the field and putting some good balls into the box while adding a secondary scoring ability as well. We shouldn't break the bank for him and I don't think Los Angeles would sell him unless they got a sizable bid, but if he wants to come to the team on a free then I am 100% for it.

Just curious, what's your problem with him?

I don't know that he's lost his love. I think it has more or less been strangled out of him by the MLS essentially holding him prisoner. I don't think he cares about playing for the Galaxy anymore, and being forced to do so is really depressing him. He just sounds extremely depressed to me.

Interesting point... I think you could be right about that.

Just curious, what's your problem with him?

It's hard to explain. but I can assure you I am not alone in disliking him here in America. He comes off as a whiny, entitled prick. He comes off as a guy who thinks he's hot shit. The 2010 World Cup was a shock to a lot of people. Not because Landon was productive, but because he was playing with his heart on his sleeve. And a lot of us were hoping that this was the sign of a changed man. But once the WC ended it was back to the same antics and attitude. He's not even close to Joey Barton/John Terry levels of dislike, but it's just not easy to root for Landon the way it is very, very easy to root for guys like Clint Dempsey, Tim Howard, Carlos Bocanegra, etc.

It's hard to explain. but I can assure you I am not alone in disliking him here in America. He comes off as a whiny, entitled prick. He comes off as a guy who thinks he's hot shit. The 2010 World Cup was a shock to a lot of people. Not because Landon was productive, but because he was playing with his heart on his sleeve. And a lot of us were hoping that this was the sign of a changed man. But once the WC ended it was back to the same antics and attitude. He's not even close to Joey Barton/John Terry levels of dislike, but it's just not easy to root for Landon the way it is very, very easy to root for guys like Clint Dempsey, Tim Howard, Carlos Bocanegra, etc.

Agreed

I understand this, mostly. I used to have maybe more than a slight dislike for Donovan, but in hindsight I think it was due to the non-stop, singular, attention he was given when it came to the USMNT. I couldn't stand him, because he was the media darling and the supposed savior of US Soccer. But, with the emergence of Dempsey as a larger figure, my dislike for him has waned, and I can really appreciate the guy. When he's been at Everton he's been nothing but a hard-working team player and a classy individual.

Dempsey, however, I have grown to have an intense distaste for. He's quality, but he never seems to put in the work. He's also taken to diving, which, as an American, will always piss me off. The way he handled everything with Fulham has completely destroyed anything positive I felt for that guy.

I love Timmy, Bradley, Cherundulo, Johnson, Williams, and Agudelo, among others, though. These guys always put in the work.

I understand this, mostly. I used to have maybe more than a slight dislike for Donovan, but in hindsight I think it was due to the non-stop, singular, attention he was given when it came to the USMNT. I couldn't stand him, because he was the media darling and the supposed savior of US Soccer. But, with the emergence of Dempsey as a larger figure, my dislike for him has waned, and I can really appreciate the guy. When he's been at Everton he's been nothing but a hard-working team player and a classy individual.

Dempsey, however, I have grown to have an intense distaste for. He's quality, but he never seems to put in the work. He's also taken to diving, which, as an American, will always piss me off. The way he handled everything with Fulham has completely destroyed anything positive I felt for that guy.

I love Timmy, Bradley, Cherundulo, Johnson, Williams, and Agudelo, among others, though. These guys always put in the work.

I understand what you're saying. But it's different when Donovan is at Everton because he's just another guy. In the US he's a figurehead and top player in the MLS. In England, nobody gives a shit who Landon Donovan is. So he loses the attitude and snotty demeanor and just plays.

I understand what you're saying about Dempsey with Fullham and the diving, but I still respect the hell out of him. He was irrelevant at the U-17 and U-20 levels and, although he was certainly a very good player in the MLS, I don't think anybody ever though he was going to become what he is today. And the dude definitely takes a lot of knocks diving in for balls in the box and poaching in general. I understand what you're saying but ultimately Dempsey plays like he would sacrifice a limb just to get the US a World Cup. And I have to respect that. Lando plays like he's trying to earn a new Nike deal.