IGNORED

Landon Donovan

No he hasn't...? I can't think of a single American MLS player who had a chance to go to Europe, wanted it, and was blocked by MLS. It is understood that we are a feeder league and in fact many teams welcome bids because the money is a huge boost. In Donovan's situation MLs and the Galaxy would definitely be a bit more eager to keep him, but if Lando truly wanted to make a permanent move over to Europe at any point in the last few years the only thing that would have stopped it was underwhelming bids.

I would disagree actually. I've heard several times, from people more well versed in MLS dealings than I, that Garber wanted to personally keep his biggest asset, which, on the surface makes sense. The MLS is still run like a budding small business, and it's done well in it's own way. I'm pretty sure permanent moves could have been made the last time Landon was on loan here. The statements about 'unfinished business' didn't sound like manicured PR to you? He's won MLS Championships already, what more is there in the US? He tried stints abroad when he was younger, they didn't pan out, but the fact that the dude still identifies with us says something stuck but the timing wasn't right. Upon returning from his first loan he then won back to back MLS Championships, being integral in each; I believe that's what Garber wanted. Now Landon's burnt out being the poster child (not many athletes have that pressure in a sport that's still novel in a country) and he's taking time to think about things. People do that all the time. I think he wanted to be here the first time, but the league didn't want to let it's breadwinner go.

Also, it's widely known that Everton bid for Clint Dempsey while he was at New England...Steve Nicol has said that several times. It happens all the time. the MLS reacts to trades as if they're son was asking to play with the kids next door and they thought it was too dangerous for them.

• 4 months later...

Didn't want to tease everyone into thinking that there were new rumors of Landon coming back but I felt this was worth sharing. Happened in our Gold Cup game yesterday after El Salvador fans threw crap at him as he was about to take a corner.

ku-xlarge.gif

I love that GIF. He has been insane in the Gold Cup. 3 assists and a goal yesterday. It's amazing that he has over 50 goals and 50 assists for the USA national team. Kudos, Landon!

Didn't want to tease everyone into thinking that there were new rumors of Landon coming back but I felt this was worth sharing. Happened in our Gold Cup game yesterday after El Salvador fans threw crap at him as he was about to take a corner.

ku-xlarge.gif

The lucky lucky guys just don't give up do they. :happy:

Sell Barkley to fund a move for a more proven player like Donovan?

Sell a young player who has the potential to become a great player for an older one who was uninspiring in his last stint........bonkers

I rated Donovan in his first spell and would have loved to have signed him then but not now, He's over rated and hyped by his fellow countrymen far to often.

Sell a young player who has the potential to become a great player for an older one who was uninspiring in his last stint........bonkers

I rated Donovan in his first spell and would have loved to have signed him then but not now, He's over rated and hyped by his fellow countrymen far to often.

I found him quite average in his first spell tbh, don't rate him at all. Sell Barkley so that we can bring him in, that's just crazy and i can't think Roberto would be too popular if he did that either

Just another update: had 2 goals in and an assist in a 3-1 win against Honduras to put us in the Gold Cup final -- a final we should win (we're playing Panama). He's had a great tournament.

"He's rubbish. His name isn't Barkley, and he isn't English, so he's rubbish!"- average Toffeetalk member