IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

this for me, love the game the way it is.

I love the game too, but I hate the cheating / "game management" (i.e. when people roll around to get another booked/sent off, time wasting).

What I think John is referring to is time wasting changes. But, you can't simply say no changes in that time. Injuries is a given (though you potentially invite more faking injuries with that), but what if you concede 2 in 76th minute and want to put a striker on to "go for it"?

Changes to the game are annoying when introduced, because its a change from the norm. However, they can be very beneficial mid-long term, e.g. the offside rule. John, Bill - were you around when this was introduced? :P

The game the way it is? I remember when there were NO substitutes. I would rather it was still like that than benches that boost the size of the crowd. It'll be like American football the way things are going,

I remember when it was 3 subs. But, I like the extension; it encourages more players to get into the game

I remember when it was 3 subs. But, I like the extension; it encourages more players to get into the game

For the first couple of years after a single sub was allowed (1965) he could only be used in place of an injured player, then they allowed him to be used "tactically" though unless my memory is playing tricks they more often than not went unused. I think three from seven is fine; don't want to end up like basketball with unlimited changes and players coming back on after having a rest!

3 changes is fine. even 7 on the bench is fine, gives everyone more options than the original 5 (I say original as that what I was for me growing up).

Obviously getting rid of the cheating out the game is a must, but lets be honest if say Barkley took a "fall" in the FA Cup final in the 90th minute and we go on and score the winner, how many of you will be calling for action to be taken on him?

Cheating is unfortunately part of the game now, and its up to the FA to train the refs to the best they can to try and catch it, I know its hard to catch but for me that's what is needed, better quality of referees to call wankers.

Matt, the offside rule was introduced in 1863, I don't think John would have been around at that time, and I most certainly wasn't.

Have seen numerous changes, but I've always been an advocate of scrubbing the offside altogether, if a player wants to hang around in the 6 yard box then it's up to the opponent to mark him, would make for more open and enjoyable games, and of course would do away with all the arguments.

Matt, the offside rule was introduced in 1863, I don't think John would have been around at that time, and I most certainly wasn't.

Have seen numerous changes, but I've always been an advocate of scrubbing the offside altogether, if a player wants to hang around in the 6 yard box then it's up to the opponent to mark him, would make for more open and enjoyable games, and of course would do away with all the arguments.

Interesting thought. I remember there was some experimentation a long while back in obscure competitions where you could only be given offside in the penalty area; or it might have been eighteen yards across the whole width of the pitch, don't remember exactly. Never came to anything obviously.

No, Bill, just before my time too! They should revert to the old offside rule which, even though there were many disputes, was fairly clear - any player in an offside position when the ball was played, was offside. The new rules just included additional complications. Personally, I would like to see a trial of only offside in a line level with the penalty area. Currently, we have the ridiculous situation of a player being given offside in his own half of the pitch because he ran back from the opposition half of the pitch.

Edited by johnh

It would certainly open up the midfield. Tactically it would make it a far inferior game even if it was potentially more entertaining.

I'm with John though (not literally unless my Mrs isn't telling me something), in that offside means offside regardless of whether you are playing the ball or not. It would encourage those lazy buggers (cough Lukaku cough) to get themselves back in play and the offside trap easier manage.

went to bed at half time, it looked done and dusted (plus it was 2am and wasn't the most exciting first half)

Snap, Gaga sent me into a doze, thought it was wrapped up, seems as if we've missed the greatest come back since....Istanb... nah since Bournemouth 4-3 win over Liverpool. yeah that Liverpool game...

went to bed at half time, it looked done and dusted (plus it was 2am and wasn't the most exciting first half)

Had money on devonta freeman getting mvp... brady blew that out the water.

Falcons just never got the bit of luck they needed. Should have caught the pass for an interception preceeding the winning touchdown.