IGNORED

Baines

That isn't what I meant. I meant they already have Gibbs so I didn't think they'd want to spend upwards of £10million on a player they don't need.

The funny thing is, if Gibbs played regulary for Arse he'd more than likely be in the England squad ahead of Baines - he may not be quite as good but that would be the case with the bias towards the Champs League teams.

I do really like Gibbs as a player and think he'll end up a class player.

http://www.metro.co....pool-track-deal

Strait swap for Gael Clichy!

]The fact that Juventus are thought to be ready to offer £13.2million for Clichy illustrates how highly the Arsenal manager rates Baines.[/size]

Really? 13.2m is a good offer for one of the best LBs in the world right now? Didnt they value Cole at 25+m when Chelsea were sniffing around? This whole speculation is a joke anyway. If anyone goes it will be Rodwell or Felli but I doubt very much that it will be Baines...

swap for clichy is todays rumour.

didnt read it has already been posted, sorry! Im abit rusty with the forum atm ;)

I dont believe for a second this deal will happen, more like they offer Gibbs.

Edited by aaron

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/244037/Manchester-City-bid-20m-plus-Bridge-for-Baines

I wouldnt like to see it happen but I think it would be hard for the club to turn down if it were true

I agree, Bridge would be a decent replacement but his injuries seem to have caught up with him since when he went on that amazing run of not missing a game for southampton and then chelsea. He'd no doubt want his bezzie mate SWP to join him (still think he'd be decent for a few seasons for us).

If they really want him though we'll have £20m plus Kolarov!!! and either Johnson or Milner or Richards to sweeten the deal...

He is a very valuable team player. If cole was touted at £30m at his peak then I think that's what we should look for in baines. For me it all depends on garbutts development. I would take £20-£30m for him with a decent enough left back thrown in. Then use the money to strengthen up front. Would be horrible to see him go though.

He is a very valuable team player. If cole was touted at £30m at his peak then I think that's what we should look for in baines. For me it all depends on garbutts development. I would take £20-£30m for him with a decent enough left back thrown in. Then use the money to strengthen up front. Would be horrible to see him go though.

Whats the point in letting him go to strengthen the front line if we let our biggest supplier of assists go? I'd rather see Rodwell go if we need the money, Baines is a must keep at all costs.

Whats the point in letting him go to strengthen the front line if we let our biggest supplier of assists go? I'd rather see Rodwell go if we need the money, Baines is a must keep at all costs.

Very sensible that Matt, glad someone doesnt see pound signs but the bigger picture! Losing Baines and what he brings to the team would be an almighty fcuk up, simples!!

Ok.... Look at it from a different perspective, if we had £30m would you spend it on baines if he played for another team? Given that he is more or less doing the job of a left winger (which we don't have doing a good job) as I said, I would be gutted to see him go. We could sell rodwell, I'm coming round to the idea more now he seems to have hit a wall in his development. Baines should be one of the players that we build a team around, problem is we don't have money...

Ok.... Look at it from a different perspective, if we had £30m would you spend it on baines if he played for another team? Given that he is more or less doing the job of a left winger (which we don't have doing a good job) as I said, I would be gutted to see him go. We could sell rodwell, I'm coming round to the idea more now he seems to have hit a wall in his development. Baines should be one of the players that we build a team around, problem is we don't have money...

Yes I would try to, but i bet the other team wouldnt sell considering that between goals and assists he gets/creates 20 goals. Without this goals and assists this season we would be 10 places lower scrapping for our lives. Take into consideration that 750k per position (or so ive heard) thats 7.5m for 1 season. So although we might get 30m over a number of seasons, we would lose several due to dropping lower in the league (and ive no doubt we would without him).

Yes I would try to, but i bet the other team wouldnt sell considering that between goals and assists he gets/creates 20 goals. Without this goals and assists this season we would be 10 places lower scrapping for our lives. Take into consideration that 750k per position (or so ive heard) thats 7.5m for 1 season. So although we might get 30m over a number of seasons, we would lose several due to dropping lower in the league (and ive no doubt we would without him).

Problem being, the other team is unlikely to suffer the tight transfer restrictions we have and probably have 4 top quality strikers and wingers to choose from.

In terms of selling players I would say:

Billy>Anichebe>Heitinga>Arteta>Rodwell - Baines would be way down the list as he is class. But I think every player does have his price. Arteta i'm afraid seems to be a shadow of himself and I dont know if he is going to reach the heights he has done before.

If Rodwell goes, then fingers crossed Ross Barkley can take his place and add more steel and attack minded play. Rodwell seems to have been stifled somewhat, I was expecting to see the odd 30 yard rocket, driving runs, ala Steven Gerrard when he made his impact. Instead Rodwell plays like Ray Wilkins and Jamie Redknapp.

I read a stat that Baines was directly involved in 47% of all our goals this season...thats shocking yet incredible. Losing that would have us in shitcreek.

I would be concerned that a LB was involved in 47% of our goals, firstly it shows how good Baines is and secondly it shows how much we lack creativity outside of him. I would be interested to see what that stat is post Peanuts...

Good points made by all and £20 mill plus Bridge on paper sounds like a good deal given our current position, if we had financial stability i would be against this deal, like i would be against the rodwell deal, however we are not and we need 3 - 4 top players to help us move on up as we are being caught by the likes of Bolton, Villa etc... If Baines was to go for £20 mill plus Bridge it would not be the end of the world as we would receive a decent LB to replace him and it will allow Moyes to buy some creativity further up the field were it should be coming from, if you throw in Rodders and say Billy to the mix of sales thats c.£45 mill he would have to spend (if he is given all the funds) and surely that would be able to buy us the creativity and goal scorer that would mitigate the loss our best player this season? As pointed out in other posts Baines would not be top of anyones list of players to be sold but money talks and looking at the bigger picture this could benefit us long term?

Edited by scouse

I would be concerned that a LB was involved in 47% of our goals, firstly it shows how good Baines is and secondly it shows how much we lack creativity outside of him. I would be interested to see what that stat is post Peanuts...

Good points made by all and £20 mill plus Bridge on paper sounds like a good deal given our current position, if we had financial stability i would be against this deal, like i would be against the rodwell deal, however we are not and we need 3 - 4 top players to help us move on up as we are being caught by the likes of Bolton, Villa etc... If Baines was to go for £20 mill plus Bridge it would not be the end of the world as we would receive a decent LB to replace him and it will allow Moyes to buy some creativity further up the field were it should be coming from, if you throw in Rodders and say Billy to the mix of sales thats c.£45 mill he would have to spend (if he is given all the funds) and surely that would be able to buy us the creativity and goal scorer that would mitigate the loss our best player this season? As pointed out in other posts Baines would not be top of anyones list of players to be sold but money talks and looking at the bigger picture this could benefit us long term?

Bigger picture based on 47% of goals coming from or scored by him means relegation, that simple. What if the money doesnt buy replacements that create and score as often. Look at Bily - 10m for a few wonder goals and 1 or 2 decent games a season.

Sorry, but under no circumstances would i sell him.

Bigger picture based on 47% of goals coming from or scored by him means relegation, that simple. What if the money doesnt buy replacements that create and score as often. Look at Bily - 10m for a few wonder goals and 1 or 2 decent games a season.

Sorry, but under no circumstances would i sell him.

Based on what if's - what if we manage to replace him and bring in another Arteta, Cahill, Jags, Baines etc and it brings in more than the 47% of goals coming or scored? As I have said I am not advocating his sale by no means and the same arguments were projected when we sold Rooney and look what that did for the club! All I am saying is that I dont believe it would be the end of the world and lead to relegation if he was to be sold, thankfully we are not a 1 man team.

Based on what if's - what if we manage to replace him and bring in another Arteta, Cahill, Jags, Baines etc and it brings in more than the 47% of goals coming or scored? As I have said I am not advocating his sale by no means and the same arguments were projected when we sold Rooney and look what that did for the club! All I am saying is that I dont believe it would be the end of the world and lead to relegation if he was to be sold, thankfully we are not a 1 man team.

Neither Rooney nor Lescott provided nearly 50% of goals in their years at the club let alone in 1 season. I understand your point but dont think it applies here - Baines is more valuable than money.