IGNORED

What Grinds Your Gears...

Matt

Tumble dryer has broken so have to buy a new one :dry:.

Only had it for fifteen years, poor workmanship!

Washing machine is older and still going strong :).

Our Washing machine, Dishwasher, and Tumble dryer are all well over 20 years old. We had the dishwasher man out recently and he said it was the first time he had seen that model which they stopped making about 15 years ago. He said the current model wouldn't last as long.

Our Washing machine, Dishwasher, and Tumble dryer are all well over 20 years old. We had the dishwasher man out recently and he said it was the first time he had seen that model which they stopped making about 15 years ago. He said the current model wouldn't last as long.

That goes for a lot of items now a days. Most aren't made to last, they're made to run-down or tire, very quickly, hoping you'll just buy another one.

Like Bikes. People used to buy a bike and it would last 20/30 years, now a days, you buy a bike from the high street or even somewhere like Halfords, and it'll last you a few years at best. You have to invest significantly to get the same quality you used to be able to. As for white goods, Bosch were the go to for appliances but they sub contract their lower ranges, so they never last as long. Miele are probably one of the market leaders in terms of appliances and home electrical but you'll pay for that quality.

That goes for a lot of items now a days. Most aren't made to last, they're made to run-down or tire, very quickly, hoping you'll just buy another one.

Like Bikes. People used to buy a bike and it would last 20/30 years, now a days, you buy a bike from the high street or even somewhere like Halfords, and it'll last you a few years at best. You have to invest significantly to get the same quality you used to be able to. As for white goods, Bosch were the go to for appliances but they sub contract their lower ranges, so they never last as long. Miele are probably one of the market leaders in terms of appliances and home electrical but you'll pay for that quality.

Our "cheapest washing machine we could find because we were skint at the time" Zanussi is still going strong after about fifteen years.

So that's pretty good I think.

Will probably break this week now :(.

I did a fair bit of research into the expiry of white goods, many pack in after 5 years due to cheap plastic component to versus the old heavy quality builds.

For me thd sweet spot in price/longevity is bosch or samsung.

Some people just go for beko and accept that 5 years is what to expect. We've had our fridge, and dishwasher both bosch over 6 years, the washing machine which was bosch packed in after 5 years but was getting hammered. If someone has 4 kids and rely on the machine being on all the time then spend the extra and get miele. Mate is an engineer at levers and said their testing machines are on the go all the time, hd actually bought a ten year old miele off them and it's going strong with no sign of faults.

The problem is most people buy white goods at the same time so end up with having to replace all of them at the same time. Pain in the Arse.

Edited by Hafnia

• 2 weeks later...

Recently, a social worker has requested a change in equipment that I use regularly (in a 'carer' capacity) - I'm used to the equipment and can use it easily. Unfortunately, the new equipment is harder to use, more difficult to secure, more painful to wear (for the user) and there are two of them instead of just one which takes up twice the space and makes the task a lot more difficult as there's less space to manoeuvre . The social worker says the change is to reduce liability for herself in case the user suffers a muscle tear when using it (hasn't done so in six years).

It's going to make very life difficult for me (selfish?). I hate it. The user also prefers the current equipment. I've looked it up to replace the provided one with one of our own and it's £2.4k (£600 refurbished). This one change has made me assess whether I can continue like this.

Recently, a social worker has requested a change in equipment that I use regularly (in a 'carer' capacity) - I'm used to the equipment and can use it easily. Unfortunately, the new equipment is harder to use, more difficult to secure, more painful to wear (for the user) and there are two of them instead of just one which takes up twice the space and makes the task a lot more difficult as there's less space to manoeuvre . The social worker says the change is to reduce liability for herself in case the user suffers a muscle tear when using it (hasn't done so in six years).

It's going to make very life difficult for me (selfish?). I hate it. The user also prefers the current equipment. I've looked it up to replace the provided one with one of our own and it's £2.4k (£600 refurbished). This one change has made me assess whether I can continue like this.

Very sorry to hear this. It's so frustrating when decisions are made for legal (liability) reasons instead of for practical or even medical reasons/ A social worker may request, but shouldn't the user, in this case, have the final say?

The budget. The richest given a tax break all over the shop. Capital Gains and Corporation should be going up if they don't have enough in the pot to fund essentials such as the NHS, and security.

"This is a chancellor who has produced a Budget for hedge fund managers more than for small businesses."

In his Commons address Mr Osborne, who promised a £10.4bn surplus by 2019-20, aimed a joke at Mr Corbyn, the Islington North MP, saying the proposed Crossrail 2 rail link was "good for people in North London who are heading south". http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35823383

Edited by pete0

On top of this I had to go to the shop, when I came out, loaded down with groceries. some arsehole had put a fucking great dent in me car.

That's shite. If people do it, why can't they just fess up that it was an accident?

My last car received a dent on the driver's side, right in between where the door hinge (it cause the door to 'drop') and the panel for the wheel arch met. Would have been a full door replacement, if it wasn't for a friend of a friend. It was hit by what looked like a tow bar, so it was a considerable size but whoever it was didn't stop to fess or leave a note. Few hundred quid later. Nice one.

And I hate clicking English.

When I was in the Question Time audience many years back I filled in the application and gave "other" as the answer on the ethnicity question and described myself a "human being". Researcher who phoned was amazed as she'd not seen it before, but I got on the programme.

(I realise that's a different thing than English/British/Cornish, just another take)

Waiting in line behind people buying lottery tickets, if you're stupid enough to chuck your money away don't waste my time doing it. There should be separate dedicated queues for those who live in fantasy land so that those who live in the real world can get on with it.

Waiting in line behind people buying lottery tickets, if you're stupid enough to chuck your money away don't waste my time doing it. There should be separate dedicated queues for those who live in fantasy land so that those who live in the real world can get on with it.

My mate won £9m on lottery over 10 years ago. Still works to this day.

My mate won £9m on lottery over 10 years ago. Still works to this day.

I don't care, if he'd wasted my time buying the ticket I'd still hate him.

You're more likely to get struck by lightening walking to the shop than winning the thing, mugs game 99.9999999999999% of the time.

Sent birthday card & present to our granddaughter first class on Monday and it's still not arrived (her birthday is today, she's either seven or eight, not sure which). It was something she desperately wanted so we spent a bit more than we usually would, plus she's a bit of a favourite and quite often stays with us. She's going to be really disappointed to get nothing from us when she gets home from school, which she probably has by now.

Royal Mail informs me that items are not considered "lost" until fifteen working days after due date :dry:.

I got close to winning once, a bloke in the next street won.

:lol:

Reckon I'm further up financially than 99.8% of players. Buying one ticket for each draw since it started would add up to a cost of about £2,400; so by never buying a single ticket I'm nearly two and a half grand to the good, and it grows by £4 every week! Easy money :P.