IGNORED

Moyes: We May Lose Fellaini

Louis

Of course we should be holding out for as much as possible for a player of genuine quality and talent, but I remain insistent that even £35,000,000 seems a bit questionable. Some have become disillusioned with prices for players in recent years even since the fucking nonsense of Carroll and that transfer for about the same price, and even Torres went about the same time for £50,000,000, that was an absurd price, decent player, did some things at international level, but didn't really deliver for the most part at domestic level. Just hard to keep track of it all sometimes. And above all else, if the scruffy Carroll player was valued at 35 million two or three years ago, then by my math Fellaini should go for about 60 now? I think anything less than what we paid for would be unacceptable, 20 million I could accept, but talk of 30 and higher, I'm sorry, but just feels a bit exaggerated, but once again we have to think of other players that went before from other clubs for outrageous prices. The bottom line is, soccer prices in recent years have become so goddamn ludicrous and out of hand that you don't know quite what to believe anymore. Fellaini may well indeed depart sooner or later, so it's best to continue this when it actually occurs, but obviously would hope we can hold on to him. We have a decent side now and really should hope to hang on to star players so they can be a part of a success once again.

I think anything less than what we paid for would be unacceptable, 20 million I could accept, but talk of 30 and higher, I'm sorry, but just feels a bit exaggerated, but once again we have to think of other players that went before from other clubs for outrageous prices.

Given we bought him for what, 16m? Wouldn't you think 20m is a bit cheap? Given how much he's improved, his relatively young age, his versatility, his physical presence in the midfield, his value to Everton, 4 more years on contract and the amount of money commonly splashed around by the clubs who would be going in for him, I would think a profit of 4-5m is not enough to part ways with him.

I agree what you had to say about the prices of players, and in my opinion no player is worth the amount splashed around these days, especially what those digits could do for people living in unimaginably poor conditions. But given the climate of the market for players, making 4-5m on Fellaini is ridiculous for mine.

Given we bought him for what, 16m? Wouldn't you think 20m is a bit cheap? Given how much he's improved, his relatively young age, his versatility, his physical presence in the midfield, his value to Everton, 4 more years on contract and the amount of money commonly splashed around by the clubs who would be going in for him, I would think a profit of 4-5m is not enough to part ways with him.

I agree what you had to say about the prices of players, and in my opinion no player is worth the amount splashed around these days, especially what those digits could do for people living in unimaginably poor conditions. But given the climate of the market for players, making 4-5m on Fellaini is ridiculous for mine.

Quite right, 4-5million would be a ridiculous increase in value, figures around the £30million mark will have to be the starting price.

This will require more than one team requiring his services, other wise will moyes keep an unhappy player at the club if the only offer he recieves is around the £20million ?

One worry for me is how will Fellaini go about spending his remaining few months at Everton, will he give us his best, or will he try and save something and avoid getting into trouble.......packed Goodison, Monday night......40,000 Evertonians will be watching you Mr Fellaini.......don't friggin let us down.Two goals will do nicely.

I sometimes can't look beyond the fact that todays prices and valuations have got so out of hand you don't know what to believe anymore, we make fair judgments, and maybe if we look at it again, making a slight profit on Fellaini isn't really the way ahead after the £15,000,000 we purchased him with in the first place. I just thought at first glance, someone quoted, 35 million, and my first reaction was one of surprise. I did question it. Fair enough there's no sense in making a sale at the price we paid, and he's only got better as mentioned since his arrival from Liege, so ideally, and I speak from my own viewpoint and having reconsidered, maybe anything less than 25 million (in todays crazy prices) would seem a bit of an insipid deal. Once again, more rumors about today about the plastics coming in with a £30,000,000 offer. The price is tempting and seems fair, but I wouldn't want Fellaini to go to that club. Once again, will have to keep any eye on this situation.

fair enough moyes has done wonders with low money but getting rid of fellaini to us is like barcalona losing messi, yes we would get on but none of them players are going to be world class with prices now these players are rare, city have got a fair few top level players but take yaya toure out and theres no way they would have won the league, you wil never be up there with a team of decent players, we need to focus on getting better players to improve the first 11 then if we get in europe get a few squad players, think this is the best team we have had in years but if things dont go right I really think players will decide to move on.

I do see your point and hate talking about Everton with our current financial limitations, especially when I remember when we broke the British transfer record.

The thing is though, we aren't that type of team anymore and can't talk about us in the same breath as Man City or Barcelona. With our finances we aren't going to compete for the league.

Our cycle is that we make a significant profit from a player sale, buy young players with potential, realise their potential, help the club to European football and sell them at significant profit.

It is almost heart-breaking talking about the club like this, but unless we get significant investment (something that BK has failed to find), then that is the cycle we are stuck in.

I think youre wrong Barney Tabasco. All it takes is selling one player at a big rate, clever replacement at perhaps 10-15 mil and 2 or 3 usefull squad players and we have a very competative squad. Perhaps ever a CL squad. Sometimes selling one player expensivly can be a blessing.

IF we qualify for Europe and get a good run there, it might get us enough money to keep our marquee players and strengthen our squad to the next season. And perhaps keep qualifying for europe on a regular basis. That would give us money and player klout.

If we qualify for european football this season, and even if we see Felli go in jan, i sense a change in the air.

I thought straight away it wouldn't be someone like Smith. You can't sell Fellaini or such a star asset and replace him in part with someone like Alan Smith. I was thinking also it could be Owen, but surely not, and furthermore he's been snapped up now. I didn't quite see the player in question, but still waiting until an actual Fellaini departure.

I think, to my honest opinion, losing Fellaini might not be a loss, but instead an opportunity. I speak as a Belgian with a healthy dose of chauvinism, but Fellaini might not be as indispensible as he might sometimes be considered. Sure, he has something unique to offer in terms of headers and dueling, but let's also acknowledge the fact that he's often sloppy as well and doesn't alwayd give the impression that he feels like going for it.

Selling Fellaini therefore looks to me as a potential gain on the footballing side as well, depending on how much we sell him for. Say 28 to 30 million pounds and it gets a green light from me. Replace him with Porto's Defour for about 10 to 15 million maximum. Defour has much more of a fighter spirit, does some very good man-covering and gives great tactical passes. The downside is that he's another shorty. But it's just an idea, to sketch my point.

I thought straight away it wouldn't be someone like Smith. You can't sell Fellaini or such a star asset and replace him in part with someone like Alan Smith. I was thinking also it could be Owen, but surely not, and furthermore he's been snapped up now. I didn't quite see the player in question, but still waiting until an actual Fellaini departure.

He meant Moutinho. Know who he is?

Selling Fellaini therefore looks to me as a potential gain on the footballing side as well, depending on how much we sell him for. Say 28 to 30 million pounds and it gets a green light from me. Replace him with Porto's Defour for about 10 to 15 million maximum. Defour has much more of a fighter spirit, does some very good man-covering and gives great tactical passes. The downside is that he's another shorty. But it's just an idea, to sketch my point.

Except for the fact that Defour has the same pricetag on him, it's Porto we're talking about, he's got a 30m clausule.

Money is a big issue and the only options that I see is buying young or stealing them away from teams with financial problems ( Spain/Portugal/Greece/Italy ).

There's enough cover now with the current team so I'd say buy a young promosing talent because finding a good DM that's not taken by a topclub is hard. Someone like Wanyama - Acquah - Chantôme - Rabiot - Westwood (Villa) - Malanda should be possible to get and I'm sure they'd be starters/future star(ter)s. It would also leave a lot of money for other positions that will start to need replacements, the squad isn't the youngest anymore, so spending a lot of Fellaini's money on one player is a big nono for me.

• 2 weeks later...

With the amount of money in football up 40%? since he joined for £15 mil, I really struggle to see how £20 mil can be a serious offer as standard inflation would be £16.2 mil, making our development worth less than £3.8 and the increase in revenue negligible although evidence suggests otherwise with average players going for double what they used to. £35 mil would be a minimum in my eyes and that's only because of player power (he still has a few years on his contract though), he's considerably better than Modric anything less and we're getting robbed. Even then I'll still be gutted what ever the price he goes for.

As you say smells of bull..

Above link shut down after a few seconds viewing, but what I saw was another attempt at a rival side for a Fellaini purchase, and this time £20,000,000. I thought some time back that would be a reasonable offer, but having reconsidered and being brought to attention, we should at least hold out for maybe 5 or 10 million more if someone really wants to take our star asset off our hands. Soccer prices once again, are fucking ridiculous in todays day and age, so if lesser caliber players can go for almost twice the price suggested, then damn it, Fellaini is worth more to us than the 20 million offered. I think it's a case of when and not if he does leave, but right now, anything less than 25 million would seem a derisory offer. This link or rumor, just doesn't hold water for me, United will be damn aware he's more valuable a player than the price suggested.