IGNORED

Moyes: We May Lose Fellaini

Louis

Pienaar was a bigger loss.

In what sense?

Good player for us but I think spurs fans will disagree. I think a 23 year old 6ft 5 domineering ball winner who will be one of the top midfielders in europe in next two years is a bigger loss than an inconsistent near 30 something who hasnt had a good game for spurs yet.

i agree pienaar was a massive loss. yes ossie stepped up a bit, but not to the effect pienaar had on our team. our left side has been shit without him, we used to rely on him and baines, now we just rely on baines.

agreed hes been pants at spurs, hes found no form when he played for them, the same as with most of his career.

i think felli would be a bigger loss though.

i agree pienaar was a massive loss. yes ossie stepped up a bit, but not to the effect pienaar had on our team. our left side has been shit without him, we used to rely on him and baines, now we just rely on baines.

agreed hes been pants at spurs, hes found no form when he played for them, the same as with most of his career.

i think felli would be a bigger loss though.

Osman chipped in with more goals and assists than Pienaar. As much as Pienaars build up play is one of the best in the league his final ball was shit, making him entertaining but ultimately not effective.

Bad times. I wasn't that bothered about losing Arteta based on performances last season but Fellaini will be a huge loss and a sure sign that the club is not just stagnating but going backwards. Since we reached the FA Cup final two years ago we've lost Lescott, Pienaar, Arteta and Yakubu and barely replaced anyone bar bringing Distin in at CB - no club can afford to keep selling talent like that without buying, I mean look at where Aston Villa have gone, from being serious top four contenders to nobodies, and they have money to spend. I'm starting to really worry about the future of our club :(

I'm praying felaini signs that contract but I agree with someone else who said that with the money we paid for him we're better selling him if he's not going to sign. From what I can make out it's all down to him now and fingers crossed he signs. If not sell him and get our money back.

Bad times. I wasn't that bothered about losing Arteta based on performances last season but Fellaini will be a huge loss and a sure sign that the club is not just stagnating but going backwards. Since we reached the FA Cup final two years ago we've lost Lescott, Pienaar, Arteta and Yakubu and barely replaced anyone bar bringing Distin in at CB - no club can afford to keep selling talent like that without buying, I mean look at where Aston Villa have gone, from being serious top four contenders to nobodies, and they have money to spend. I'm starting to really worry about the future of our club sad.png

That accurately sums up why our model is seriously flawed. People expect everyone Moyes brings in to be great, the reality is for Lescott gone, we have only really had a centre half, another who struggles to find a starting place in his best position and an out of sorts left footed player who doesnt know his place. I don't blame Moyes, it's the pitfalls of management that even the best like SAF can't avoid. Unfortunately for us, our dire commercial perfromance, non contributing board and debt means we need every signing to be a profit maker. As stated in the swissblog (I think it was called) we need to make £20m of sales most years to break even... ain't gonna happen.

You may get people stating that we got to the final without arteta etc etc but it's a flimsy argument and one that should not even be considered. The progress of barkley, velios etc should not be considered either. The fact is and remains, we have shipped top players out without replacing them like for like.

Fellaini is next to go, just accept it.

Osman chipped in with more goals and assists than Pienaar. As much as Pienaars build up play is one of the best in the league his final ball was shit, making him entertaining but ultimately not effective.

his final ball was shit, but if you look back at a lot of the assists baines had, pienaar dragged defenders out of the way, making room for baines.

his final ball was shit, but if you look back at a lot of the assists baines had, pienaar dragged defenders out of the way, making room for baines.

did he? Id wager that Baines got just as many assists with anyone else playing with him on the left, purely because Baines is quality.

did he? Id wager that Baines got just as many assists with anyone else playing with him on the left, purely because Baines is quality.

i dont doubt baines quality for one second, hes by far our best player imo. but the link up play between the two of them was as good as any other two players in the league. we dont have two players with that kind of understanding now. they used to find each other almost every time the ball was played.

i dont doubt baines quality for one second, hes by far our best player imo. but the link up play between the two of them was as good as any other two players in the league. we dont have two players with that kind of understanding now. they used to find each other almost every time the ball was played.

I know youre not doubting him, didnt mean it to come across that way. What I mean is that its Baines that starts the link up play and gets the ball back. You could put a lamppost in the field and he could 1-2 it off that to himself. Pienaar managed it well but anyone who can kick a ball could do the same. I did like Nuts, thought he put in a lot of effort but after he left it was clear we didnt miss him that much.

Edited by Matt

Not with the amount of time he'd have left on his contract and clubs knowing how desperate we'd be to sell to recoup some money with us being skint.

If there's more than one club in for him I don't see what our financial position has to do with it....doesn't matter how rich or poor you are if you're selling a Rembrandt and three or four billionaires want it....what matters is how rich they are.

At the moment I see Fellaini being the type of player that: Chelsea, Man United, Arsenal, and Spurs need badly. Which also means that Man City would be interested purely to prevent those teams from strengthening.

Not sure how much potential for development he has, physically surely he's at 99% - tactically maybe a little bit to go, technically pretty much all there. Maybe if I was to be critical he needs to adjust his tackles in a way that he stops getting penalised. All said and done he is one of the outstanding defensive mids in the game.

I can just about handle him going only for £30m plus, and alot of that would be made easier if Rodwell finally steps into being the player he promised to be...

If there's more than one club in for him I don't see what our financial position has to do with it....doesn't matter how rich or poor you are if you're selling a Rembrandt and three or four billionaires want it....what matters is how rich they are.

All that has to happen is for us to accept one offer and then other teams can come in at the same price and then it's down to the player. Like we did with Beattie with Villa.

• 2 weeks later...

All that has to happen is for us to accept one offer and then other teams can come in at the same price and then it's down to the player. Like we did with Beattie with Villa.

Excellent post this...

Many people are unaware of this fact - if you offer something (a player) to a club for a certain price, you must make him available for that same price to other clubs otherwise it's technically a form of price fixing.

Legally it's a bit of a minefield, and I don't believe it's ever been challenged (in football), but this notion of 'not selling to your rivals' isn't so easy.

When he came here many fans doubted Moyes' judgement, as we did with Distin. I think it's testament to just how astute our manager is that we have these players on our books.

After any loss - at least 30% of the fans will doubt the manager's judgment (70% if the manager is Roy Hodgson).

Distin was very well liked at a certain other place. As was a certain Irish Right / Center Back who came from Everton. Own goal expert he was! (but well liked all the same)

Excellent post this...

Many people are unaware of this fact - if you offer something (a player) to a club for a certain price, you must make him available for that same price to other clubs otherwise it's technically a form of price fixing.

Legally it's a bit of a minefield, and I don't believe it's ever been challenged (in football), but this notion of 'not selling to your rivals' isn't so easy.

nah, thats not price fixing.

price fixing is if ford, vauxhall, toyota and mazda decide they will sell the same catagory car for the same price.

a price can change from minute to minute, i can sell you something with a discount fo 20%, it doesnt mean i have to sell it to everyone at that price.

if you are a seller you dictate the price as you see fit.

also the not selling to a rival thing, you do not have to sell anything to anyone if you so wish. each offer and acceptance is its very own contract.

seriously, go and study some business legislation. i've had way too many days/meetings/confrences where our legal dept arm us with this info, it comes in handy when idiot who think they know the sales of goods and services act come in mouthing off with "im gunna sue you" "go ahead" becomes an easy reply.

Edited by StevO