IGNORED

Aston Villa

Finn balor

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very strange game today.

We played well in large chunks but got sloppy and conceeded. We created enough chances to win the game but couldnt put it in the back of the net.

It was nice to see a couple of the kids come on, and while Velios didnt really get enough time to do anything, Gueye looked very tidy and composed, which makes you wonder why he hasnt been introduced before now towards the end of games?

Although it looks as if we have at least 3 more with knocks but I thought Beckford did really well up top on his own and it is a shame his goal was dissalowed and that his injury seemed to limit him a little.

theres softer pens given i grant you.

Tell you what, Vellios looks handy - if we played 442. Very nice knock down.

agreed...looks a big physical lad with a nice touch..so impressed with gueye today though he didn't seem phased coming into it..and looks a talented lad lets just hope he can fulfil that

Very strange game today.

We played well in large chunks but got sloppy and conceeded. We created enough chances to win the game but couldnt put it in the back of the net.

It was nice to see a couple of the kids come on, and while Velios didnt really get enough time to do anything, Gueye looked very tidy and composed, which makes you wonder why he hasnt been introduced before now towards the end of games?

Although it looks as if we have at least 3 more with knocks but I thought Beckford did really well up top on his own and it is a shame his goal was dissalowed and that his injury seemed to limit him a little.

He really did my head in today especially in the second half.

Why cant he challenge the centre half for the ball? Every time the ball came up to him he tried to roll the defender and it never worked once.

From where I was sat I couldnt tell whether or not the ball crossed the line with the chance he had in the second half but surely he should have buried it anyway

Granted his movement is decent but he needs to do a hell of a lot more than he did today if he wants to make it in the Prem

Beckford played well. He was denied a great goal which led to their second. Likes the look of the guyue and vellios. Osman motm tho. The only one giving it a real go. Baines good as always. I thought Everton played really well. If we had a great striker we would have won by three. If we had the ref with us we would have won by two. Good that we got our first pen. If sunderland loose today we have the seventh spot. Liverpool lost and its only 4 points up to a euro spot. I might be optimistic but i think we will get it.

Beckford played well. He was denied a great goal which led to their second. Likes the look of the guyue and vellios. Osman motm tho. The only one giving it a real go. Baines good as always. I thought Everton played really well. If we had a great striker we would have won by three. If we had the ref with us we would have won by two. Good that we got our first pen. If sunderland loose today we have the seventh spot. Liverpool lost and its only 4 points up to a euro spot. I might be optimistic but i think we will get it.

Does sixth get you into Europe this season?

It was typical Beckford for me, some things he did well such as his movement but other aspects of his game were severely lacking.

He cant hold the ball up and he everything that was played up to him either bounced off him or he tried to roll the defender who saw it coming every time. surely its not too much to ask for him to try and challenge for the ball every now and again

He really did my head in today especially in the second half.

Why cant he challenge the centre half for the ball? Every time the ball came up to him he tried to roll the defender and it never worked once.

From where I was sat I couldnt tell whether or not the ball crossed the line with the chance he had in the second half but surely he should have buried it anyway

Granted his movement is decent but he needs to do a hell of a lot more than he did today if he wants to make it in the Prem

Yeh second half he didnt really look like he wanted to be out there after the knock he picked up although he still should have had a goal to his name. I thought he did well first half against two of the most physical defenders in the league up front on his own. Today was as physical a game as he will get and yet I thought he gave a good account of himself.

He still needs to work on a lot of things but he brings a more direct approach than our other strikers and he is probably the only one who will actually look to run in behind.

Iv watched it all back now as I didnt want to comment fully after watching it on a dodgy feed for large chunks!

Its still a game we should have won and we actually played well and created genuine chances. The penalty we were awarded was very soft but the Beckford chance was over the line and should have counted. Im also not to sure whether Bent was onside for their 2nd but it still doesnt excuse the bad defending.

Howard didnt have much to do BUT I think he made Bents decision easier by coming to close him down for the 2nd. Distin would have been able to cover and at least make it harder for him to score, but because Howard rushed and got caught a little in no mans land, he could simply slide it past him.

Baines was average. He looked a little leggy from midweek but was solid enough.

Jags was also solid. A certain dive for the penalty which I dont like to see but for the most part he dealt with the pace of the strikers well.

Distin was my MOTM. He was awesome and put in some quality tackles and blocks.

Hibbert was also very good apart from going to sleep a little for their 2nd. The block from the corner was class and it was nice to see him breaking forward with confidence.

Neville & Heitinga were solid and I actually thought the latter was the better of the 2, especially in the first half.

Bily was so bloody frustrating. Most of the first half and early second he looked only vaguely interested and it pissed me off how he pointed at Baines to deal with their first when he should have been busting his balls to help get back and cover. However later in the second half (probably last 30mins or so) he looked like he wanted to be there, but the ball in the box well, played good balls into more advanced and players and got stuck in with the tackles. He could and should have had 2 assists today.

Coleman didnt look fit and shouldnt have started.

Osman was also frustrating. In the main he played really well and should have been Motm by a mile but he missed several very good chances and in reality the one he did score should have been saved. Its ok people saying he is a midfielder and shouldnt be expected to score those etc etc, but he was playing off the striker and if he is going to be expected to play there then he should be able to put simple chances away. If I am being brutally honest its that lack of final product that stops him from being a really top class player. He gets in the positions, he has incredible feet and he works his arse off but he lacks clinisism, much like Pienaar does/did.

Beckford looked very lively first half but became a shadow of the player once he got injured. He is another that should have scored a couple but at least he forced a quality save and did actually score the other.

Gueye looked a very good prospect. He has good dribbling ability, a good work rate and he can deliver a quality set piece. He could and should have had 2 assists to his name as well, with the Beckford chance and the corner save. I find it a bit strange that he hasnt had a few more cameos this season.

Velios also looked very promising. It was only a small glimpse but he didnt look out of place and I like the fact he is a bit of a unit. I remember reading a reserves report where Stubbs said he was able to create chances for himself but had to keep learning how to bring others in the game a bit more, so if he can continue to improve he could end up being a very useful player for us.

Yeh second half he didnt really look like he wanted to be out there after the knock he picked up although he still should have had a goal to his name. I thought he did well first half against two of the most physical defenders in the league up front on his own. Today was as physical a game as he will get and yet I thought he gave a good account of himself.

He still needs to work on a lot of things but he brings a more direct approach than our other strikers and he is probably the only one who will actually look to run in behind.

I have disagree there mate. I thought he was awful today, never put himself about and appeared intimidated by the two centre halves, on many occassions he decided to sidestep out of the way and let them have a free header, watching them insteasd of the ball. In the second divison I believe he received quite a few yellow and red cards for his 'hard play and nasty streak', he may have to start showing some of that in the Premier league if he is to succeed. Granted he had a decent goalbound effort saved and another clearly over the line but a bit of the nasty streak won't go amiss.